X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol Free Petrol

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol Free Petrol

Hi there, I have a 2006 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L V6 AWD. I've heard from some people that using Ethanol-Free Petrol/Gas increases the Fuel Mileage. A friend of mine said he fills his car up with it occasionally and it helps him, I was wondering what everybody's thoughts are on filling up my car with it?

Should I use Ethanol-Free?
Would it help my car?
Would it hurt my car?
Should I use it regularly or occasionally?
If I use it occasionally, Every how many fill ups should I use it?
Does it add any MPG, HP, Torque, etc.?
What is the Octane range (Minimum - Maximum) I should use when filling with petrol with Ethanol?
What is the Octane range (Minimum - Maximum) I should use when filling with Ethanol-Free petrol?

Thank you and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:37 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There is some truth in that, we have a Saab 9-3 Biopower which will run on E85 or regular petrol. When we fill it with E85 it does less mpg but, the engine gives 25 hp more!

Old 08-10-2021, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

I run pure gas & do get better mileage but like the better power performance.

The Major Differences Between Ethanol and Gasoline

Written by Bell Performance | Mar 31 2014When filling up your vehicle's tank at the gas station, you might be wondering what is the difference between regular gasoline and the fuel they call ethanol? Should I be using one over the other? Have I been putting the wrong type of fuel in my vehicle?

Often times the choice is based on price, availability, and the manufacturer's recommendations. Depending on what area of the country you’re in, you may not even be able to find regular gasoline that doesn’t have

Don’t let the wrong choice keep you from improving the performance and fuel efficiency of your vehicle.

The Differences Between Ethanol and Gasoline

1. A gallon of gasoline provides one-third more energy than a gallon of ethanol.
  1. Blending ethanol and gasoline at a ratio of 85 percent to 15 percent (E85), the blended fuel is nearly thirty percent less powerful than pure gasoline. Ethanol is similar in acceleration, power, and cruising ability, but ethanol miles per gallon are less than pure gasoline.
  1. Ethanol causes damage to fuel systems and engines that pure gasoline does not. The most critical problems are water contamination and fuel separation. Ethanol attracts and absorbs water, including water from the air. When the gasohol absorbs enough water, fuel water contamination occurs in the car’s gas tank and that affects engine performance. If the car sits for a while, fuel separation occurs; this is where the gas and water form layers in the gas tank and if the motor sucks up the water layer into the engine, serious costly, damage happens.
  1. Ethanol is alcohol, and alcohol causes corrosion in the fuel system. Metal parts rust and plastic parts become deformed or cracked.
  1. Ethanol is not an ideal fuel additive, and older cars especially have problems with ethanol fuel.
If ethanol is less efficient than gasoline and can even damage cars, why is it being blended and sold?

First, gasoline blended with ethanol burns cleaner than pure gasoline. Ethanol cuts a car’s greenhouse gas emissions. The additional of ethanol to gasoline makes it an “oxygenate” which satisfies the requirements of the Federal legislation known as the Clean Air Act.

As for octane I have a detailed thread on the misconception that octane affects performance (it does not other than anti-knock). People think octane equates to power produced when burning (it does not). Pure gas in Utah is 2 octane less than "premium" & I have no problems.

post #15 =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...st-car-217174/

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 08-10-2021 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by xtypejag
Hi there, I have a 2006 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L V6 AWD. I've heard from some people that using Ethanol-Free Petrol/Gas increases the Fuel Mileage. .....
Your other version of this post was automatically locked for moderation. The reason is because you used colour codes in the text. As the actual content was no different, I've just deleted it.

Continental Europe introduced Ethanol many years before the UK and I had the opportunity to compare performance with the two types of fuel over many thousands of miles driving in England, France, Spain and Italy. I found a slight reduction in performance but no noticeable increase in mpg on trips in excess of 2K miles.

The issue with older vehicles is the seals on the fuel lines are not compatible with Ethanol. However, all Jaguars from 1998 are compatible with Ethanol (blended at no more than 10%).

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
However, all Jaguars from 1998 are compatible with Ethanol (blended at no more than 10%).
Even further back than that. My 1985 owners manual says E10 is OK to use.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
GGG (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Dell Gailey

Ok, When you mentioned that Ethanol and Petrol ratio of 85% to 15%, that means it's 30% less powerful than Ethanol-Free Petrol. Does that mean that Whichever Percentage blend of ethanol is 2X less powerful (If the Ethanol and Petrol ratio was 75% to 25%, would it be 50% less powerful). With the 30% number you gave me, would that mean if I switch to regular would the MPG increase by 30%?

Also, What is the Octane range I should use when filling my car up, Ethanol or Ethanol-Free? (Minimum - Maximum)

Last edited by xtypejag; 08-10-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

No, less powerful does not equate to better/higher gas mileage by that margin. ETHANOL is 30% less powerful than pure gas. If you mix 15% ethanol that's (15% X -30% = -4.5 %). I get about 1-2 m.p.g. difference from ethanol to pure gas. As for octane (AGAIN this is anti-knock not power) Jag says "premium" which is slightly different in each state/country but 89 or above should not produce "knock". Here in Utah premium is 91 & pure gas is 89.

Obviously you notice the difference more if you do long freeway driving over city driving. So an example for illustration =
City driving = 16 m.p.g.
Freeway driving = 24 m.p.g.
Using 15 gallons of gas from 16 gallon tank.
Using pure gas,
16 X 15 = 240 miles range & 15 X 24 = 360 miles of range.
Using E15 = City: 15 X 16(-5%) = 228 miles range
Freeway: 15 X 24(-5%) = 342 miles range

HENCE, GGG's comment of not noticing a vast difference over the long haul. Because unless he drove 2,000 miles on freeways only (is the UK even that big :-)), never in town the range difference is still pretty small. Like 80, 90 miles.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 08-10-2021 at 02:18 PM.