X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive brake travel after replaced brake line.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 09:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Excessive brake travel after replaced brake line.

I have a couple questions. The brakes and antilock work just don't feel responsive I know all cars have their quirks, so looking for Jag quirks on my issues. The back story on how it came about follows below.
1. Does anyone have a measurement, or feel of the correct amount of free play for the power booster rod? I
2. Will a booster rod that is to long cause a low pedal?
3. Other than just replacing the booster is there any way to determine a Jag booster is failing or the cause of the low pedal if there is no vacuum leak?
4. Should I go new or rebuilt on booster and best place to get one?

Been through here and other online locations and it seems more of a you know it when you see it than an actual point of failure check.

Here we go. My story starts with while I was away, my wife.....

Right rear steel brake line where it bends around the frame to get to the flexible rusted and ruptured. My wife continued to drive the car for a week. When she picked me up at the Airport, there wasn't any fluid in the brake reservoir. Long story short, had car towed home, replaced brake line and master cylinder to get a pedal by power bleeding the system. Noticed when the old master came off the power booster rod pushed the cylinder out about 3mm. I installed the new master cylinder with the same resistance, as if the rod was 3mm to long. I have not had any hanging brake issues, but with the system all back together, i have had to move my seat up to fully depress the pedal now. Antilock and braking functions, but does not feel like the firm pedal before the fluid loss.

Thanks,

Ron