X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Favorite upgrade/update?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023 | 12:10 PM
|
Default Favorite upgrade/update?

What's been the best upgrade, update, mod, etc. that you've done? Looking to get some ideas. Could be mechanical, aesthetic, anything. Even if there was an uncommon maintenance item that had a big impact.

Old 08-12-2023 | 03:45 PM
Veteran member

MIzah, I think a lot of people will appreciate the new upper control arm for the rear of the car the most. This solved a lot of problems that we were having with the rear tires leaning in at the top and increased tire wear. Is it something that you look at and go WOW? No, but for durability of the car and reducing the amount of work that is needed for the car, this is a must. Here is a link to one of the many posts about it: Found: Adjustable rear upper control arm - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

As for other mods, I would say a lot like the Tesla screen, but you have to be a techy to really appreciate all that it has to offer. Having the big 14" screen in the dash is nice and it gives the car a more up to date appearance.

Then you have the HID upgrade to the fog lights. If you are looking at this, let me know. I have done a few cars and there are some questions that you need to answer before you do the mod as the questions affect appearance and for some, this is key to why they are doing it. Others are after the increased lighting. Along the same lines, if you want to upgrade the high beams, I can take the car from mild to wild. The question then comes down to how your wiring skills are.

Another thing that is more astetics than anything was the paint mods I did to my X-Type. You can check them out here. Before and after rear end - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum. If for some reason the pics do not appear in the post, check my gallery, you wlil see pics there (look under "body upgrades".

Last edited by Thermo; 08-12-2023 at 03:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
hbg3 (08-13-2023), Mizah87 (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023 | 04:21 PM
|

Thanks Thermo! This is exactly what I was hoping for!
@Thermo is there a link for the Tesla screen?

Last edited by Mizah87; 08-12-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2023 | 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

- Faux suede headliner - I had to put a new one in anyhow, as the old one was sagging and soiled by previous owner.
- I also love the chrome stick-on B- and C-pillar covers.
- On one of my X-Types I added DIY metal pipes over the 6 spark plug holes. Those would prevent that the spark plugs and coils are submerged in water (those were submerged, when I bought that car).
- The roof rails are probably not getting much use with anyone - I have never seen an X-Type with a roof-rack. But what will happen, is that the little plastic covers get lost. and that will look poorly. I simply covered the whole length on both sides with self adhesive chrome moulding trim strips.
- Proper wheel nuts (the OE nuts are nuts! A 2-part-failure design). 16 new wheel nuts and 4 lock nuts.
- On the X-Type I am working on right now a Sony Radio with screen with a reverse camera connected, which comes on automatically when R is selected.
- Good and correct ATF - I did feed the difference. Well, as correct as you can get it in Australia, where I could not buy the OE ATF. I went for Fuchs Titan 4400, which is a close as it gets.
- Doing a FULL FLUSH ATF change, not the silly 3 x drain and refill.
- Replacing all seals in all 4 brake calipers.
- and keeping all the fluids up to date: Brake, pwr. steering, rear diff, engine, ATF...

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 08-13-2023 at 08:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
hbg3 (08-13-2023), Mizah87 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Mizah, something I have done to other cars, but not an X-Type is getting the 4 amp dual USB sockets that replace the cigarette lighter. These are like $12 through Amazon, are a 2 wire mod that pretty much anyone can do. The hardest part of the whole mod is getting to where the lighter is. But, at that point, you undo the plug, slide out the lighter base, screw in the USB adapter, cut off the old plug and crimp on the 2 lugs they give you. Attach the wires one way. If that doesn't work, reverse them. Some of these units even come with a battery monitor telling you the system voltage. Kinda nice for figuring out if you have a problem or not. With the dual 2.1A USB plugs, it will handle most of what you would charge in your car.

The following users liked this post:
Mizah87 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 12:28 PM
|

Thanks Peter!
Thermo, that's an awesome upgrade. Simple and very satisfying, going to do that on every car now!

Old 08-13-2023 | 03:24 PM

I bought the modified dash centre airvent panel with the anologue clock between the vents as in other Jags, this should have been standard as it looks so right.

The following users liked this post:
Mizah87 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-15-2023 | 05:12 PM

Mizah, the three big ones that have really changed the car for the better (at least for me, ymmv):

1. Swapping the standard seats for either of the sport package options (full leather or the leather and suede). They fit me much better, sit just the tiniest bit lower in the car and are much more supportive. You can get a set for almost nothing at a junkyard, depending on the years are straight bolt in swaps and also tend to look better.
2: new wheels and tires: even of it's just new tires on the stock rims, the improvement in ride / handling is obvious, as well as the reduction in NVH. If you can find a set of either Ford or Volvo takeoffs in good shape (most any of the FWD volvos, ford fusion, focus and fiestas will bolt on with a centering ring) the cost is not terrible and you immediately change the looks of your car.
3, Like everyone above said, doing as much of the usually ignored maintenance (trans fluid especially) makes these cars drive so much better. If you can, replacing the motor mounts while this is done almost always shows a huge improvement in the way it runs.

The following 3 users liked this post by extheaterkid:
JXR (10-22-2023), Mizah87 (08-15-2023), Yorta2 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023 | 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Indeed, the dash centre airvent panel looks good. Does anyone know, if that same part exists for a X204?
(The X204 is the S-Type after the second facelife in 2004).
Mine is damaged anyway, hence this clock-vent would be great.

Old 10-22-2023 | 07:17 PM
JXR

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Indeed, the dash centre airvent panel looks good. Does anyone know, if that same part exists for a X204?
(The X204 is the S-Type after the second facelife in 2004).
Mine is damaged anyway, hence this clock-vent would be great.
Does anyone have part numbers, links and/or pictures of this upgrade? I hate the digital clock in the radio!

Old 10-22-2023 | 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
-
- The roof rails are probably not getting much use with anyone - I have never seen an X-Type with a roof-rack.
Here ya go, Peter. In addition to the luggage rack and bicycle holder shown mounted to the roof bars, I have and use a roof box, kayak, and ski holder accessories. That's a 1972 Raleigh Sprite 3-speed that I was donating to the British Transportation Museum in Dayton, Ohio, USA. Also visible is the front end bra/protector I use when traveling long distances. One other item seen is the side window deflector (only the front, as they didn't make one for the rear on the Estate, only the sedan.

Old 10-23-2023 | 03:24 AM
Veteran Member

OK, thanks, now I have seen a rare Jaguar X-Type with roof rack. It's still the exception, though...
I reckon the only Jaguar, which requires a roof rack, is Harold's E-Type hearse (from the movie "Harold and Maude"), as the space inside of his E-Type hearse is a bit restricted, hence, putting the coffin on top of the roof might be the solution....

PS: I know something, which would go nicely with your front bra-protector...:

...a fancy cardigan for your leaper...

...especially, when it's cold...

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 10-23-2023 at 03:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
JXR (10-24-2023), Squito (10-23-2023)