Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions from a first time owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions from a first time owner

Hello,
I recently got an 2005 xtype with 108,000+ miles on it. Is there any recommended oil I should be using? Any recommended maintenance at this mileage beyond what's in the owners manual? Thank you very much.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:14 PM
GGG
Received 16,856 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tom,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 12-31-2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Tom,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Will do! Thank you.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Tom, from my experience of owning an X-Type for 7 years, whether you run full synthetic, a blend, or straight dino oil, your mileage is going to be the same. As for longevity of the engine, that is still out for debate and there are many opinions on that. I used to change my oil at 4,000 mile intervals as I noticed my mileage would start to drop off slightly after that point. Stick with a brand name 5W-20 oil and all will be good.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:22 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Thermo. Have you found 5-20 to be better than the 5-30 which is usually recommended.
Regards.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

DUNKS, if you look in your owners manual, it will say that for a 2005 vehicle, the recommended oil is 5W-20. On top of that, Jaguar has a TSB out there that says for cars that are recommended to use 5W-30, 5W-20 should be the preferred oil to use to aide in improving mileage as there is "no difference in engine wear". There is some logic to this as most of the engine wear occurs when the motor is heating up and both oils have the same viscosity when the engine is cold (ie, the 5W).

Granted, call me old school, I believe in running the thickest oil possible to aide in ensuring all parts keep enough oil on them to ensure that no metal on metal contact is made. With that being said, modern day engines are made with very tight tolerances and the use of a thinner oil is required (ie, can't put 20W-50 into the engines like you could back in the 80's). The thickers oils have too big of oil particles and in actuality, would result in loss of lubrication in modern day engines (ie, oil would not be able to flow into the gap between the metal parts).

Are you going to see a difference between 5W-20 and 5W-30 in the short term? I don't think so. Long term, that might be a slightly different case. But, like I mention, how much of a change in the engine is hard to say due to every engine wears slightly different and there are way too many factors to give a definitive "this oil was better than this one".

Old 01-01-2017, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Tom, from my experience of owning an X-Type for 7 years, whether you run full synthetic, a blend, or straight dino oil, your mileage is going to be the same. As for longevity of the engine, that is still out for debate and there are many opinions on that. I used to change my oil at 4,000 mile intervals as I noticed my mileage would start to drop off slightly after that point. Stick with a brand name 5W-20 oil and all will be good.
Ok great! Thank you.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

A flush and fill of the transmission, transfer case, and differential is a good idea. Jaguar says lifetime lube. You have a 13 year old vehicle, even IF they don't need it, it is a good idea. There are threads on the procedures here.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Tender
A flush and fill of the transmission, transfer case, and differential is a good idea. Jaguar says lifetime lube. You have a 13 year old vehicle, even IF they don't need it, it is a good idea. There are threads on the procedures here.
Will the dealership or a garage do it? Also what about the sparke plugs, wires, etc.? Thank you!

Old 01-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

You can ask, but I doubt you'll find a Jag dealership service department doing driveline fluid changes, given Jaguar's recommendation of "lifetime fill." You'll need to find a good independent shop that'll do the work. If you're a DIYer (as many of us here are) there's lots of threads on this forum and YouTube videos for many tasks. Spark plugs aren't too bad but you have to remove the intake manifold to access Bank 1 plugs. Bank 2 (nearest radiator) plugs are readily accessible when the air filter box is removed. This engine uses coil-on-plug, so there aren't really spark plug wires like other cars you've seen.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by swingwing
You can ask, but I doubt you'll find a Jag dealership service department doing driveline fluid changes, given Jaguar's recommendation of "lifetime fill." You'll need to find a good independent shop that'll do the work. If you're a DIYer (as many of us here are) there's lots of threads on this forum and YouTube videos for many tasks. Spark plugs aren't too bad but you have to remove the intake manifold to access Bank 1 plugs. Bank 2 (nearest radiator) plugs are readily accessible when the air filter box is removed. This engine uses coil-on-plug, so there aren't really spark plug wires like other cars you've seen.
Thank you!

Old 01-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you THERMO for the info on oil.
My handbook for the 2009 model makes no mention of a 5- 20 oil.
It does however state that on petrol engines 0-30-5-30-0-40.or 5-40 may be used depending on climate but overall 5-30 is preferred.
I do not have access to a 2005 handbook.
My xtype is diesel and the only oil in the handbook for this is fully synth 5-30
Regards. Peter.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

DUNKS, please keep in mind that the oil recommendation is for petrol/gas powered engines. Diesels have a slightly different oil requirement and using 5W-30 for diesel engines is what you should be using then.