Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Find the short circuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 07:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Find the short circuit

Hi guys.
Here's Thang again, I thought better start a new thread to have a better discussion: Last time after put everything back (engine) together, my car 04 X-Type 3.0L, the car started up right away, run rough and show bunch of codes, the check engine, transmission, battery light, then it stop run all together with two dozen cods, but many was duplicated.
After consult with you guys and YouTube; I replaced:
1-New alternator
2-New fuel injectors
3-New ignition coils.
4-New fuel pressure sensor.

Now the engine started nicely, but he idle is still rough;sound like the miss fire, check engine tight and battery light were still on. I try to drive to see how it's run; it hesitated when I tried to accelerate.
Back to the garage, I scan it and only three codes showed, but no miss fire code.:
P1000.
2 codes were duplicated: Fuel rail temperature sensor circuit high input.
Read on forum I saw Thermo and other guys say the battery light on might be the battery cable:
When the engine ran, I checked the battery it's show 14.98 Volt. so I know the alternator's work.
!-Could "Fuel rail temperature sensor failure make the engine run rough?
2-How to check the sensor and what amperage of the sensor?
3- How to find the short circuit

Old 06-03-2021, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,916 Likes on 763 Posts

Hi Thanguar,
The sensor is a "Negative coefficient" thermal resistor.
That means the resistance of the sensor changes according to the temperature of the device in the manner of resistance decreases as temperature increases.
There is no "Amperage" reading for the sensor.
You should be looking at the voltage on the sensor which the ECM is expecting to see a voltage swing from 5 volts (coldest normal state) to 0 volts (hottest possible state).
So any voltage between 0 and 5 volts will be withing the theoretical acceptable inputs the ECM is expecting to see.
The error you are getting "Fuel rail temperature sensor circuit high input" would have me thinking:-
  • Either the sensor is not plugged in correctly (or you have somehow plugged the wrong 3 way connector into this sensor)
  • The sensor is internally faulty- probably hard to measure sensor as it may have an amplifier circuit incorporated so you are not measuring the temperature resistor directly.
  • Or you have an open circuit wire in harness
The sensor has three wires feeding it.........
Black/Green is an earth wire - so should measure back to metal body with low resistance of under 2 ohms.
Red/Green wire is sensor output back to the ECM (EN16-Pin 104) so should have a voltage between 0 to 5 volts depending on temperature measured (I would expect you should see a reading of above 2.5 volts for a sitting cold car)
Orange/Yellow is a supply voltage from ECM to sensor and likely to be 5 volts (this common supply line also goes to your Orange/Yellow wire of your MAP sensor as well if you want a second place to check it)

If the ECM is being told the fuel temperature is outside normal parameters it may cause fuel mixture issues.
But the question on my mind is have you mistakenly transposed two connectors so the ECM is actually misreading two sensors and we don't yet know what the other one is.