X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First improvements to my X-Type (Rust removal, parking sensors etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 01:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First improvements to my X-Type (Rust removal, parking sensors etc)

So I’ve recently purchased an X-Type, and I’m loving it. Here it is:

it’s a good looking car in decent condition, but it hasn’t been driven for a few months and is beginning to develop rust on the trunk, as well as originally having some issues with the power windows, central locking, and broken parking sensors.

Windows were the easiest fix, I followed a post on this forum to fix the one-touch up feature by resetting the windows: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYuBWRmd/

When I bought the car, the rear right door wouldn’t open and couldn’t be unlocked at all. With some investigation I figured the locking lever on the inside was stuck and not able to be opened, so I jiggled it around and sprayed some WD-40, which got it to open once. Sprayed some more WD-40 and left it for a day. Has been working like a charm since then.

Another issue is the corrosion on the boot:

The rust is pretty bad, but I hope that a repaint does the job and there won’t be a need for any welding. I assume the rust began to develop in the past half year when the owner died and nobody drove or washed the car for months, so I hope it hasn’t gotten too deep. There’s also some chemical damage to the paint on the hood, so I’m getting that repainted too.

Once the paint job is done, I’ll need to replace the parking sensors. I did some checks (listened for clicking noise) and came to the conclusion that the left 2 sensors are not working. I can order the replacement sensors (1X4315K859BA, I assume), but first I’ll try swapping the wiring with the working sensors to see if maybe the sensor is fine but the wiring is faulty.

After that, the car will be restored and I can start thinking of actual improvements

The following 2 users liked this post by Asado:
sov211 (03-15-2023), Yorta2 (03-14-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 05:37 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome aboard fella. Keep us posted as to how things go. There is usually good advice and help on here with any issues.

The following users liked this post:
Asado (03-17-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts

Nice!

Asado (03-17-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 758 Posts

There is a long foam gasket under the chrome boot handle that prevents water entering the boot via the various mounting holes for the chrome fixture.
I think your rust possibly started with either that gasket being damaged by a previous removal, or some slight paint damage has occurred when the chrome fixture was mounted or flexing over the years of use allowing water to access compromised paint.

Should be relatively easy panel spot repairs except for the lower boot corner as the external visible rust might look quite different from the inside of the panel.
However a good rust killer treatment after any compromised panel material is removed should stop it where it is and then a suitable anti rust sealer to prevent any reactivation of the area.

Asado (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 303 Posts

Funny, I also just bought yet another Jag, and also a X-Type (2.5L AWD 2004), and it also had the very recent issue that the remote does not open the frt. passenger door, I also fixed that issue with WD40, and it also has a reversing aid issue (it beeps like mad without any reason). I think someone already put an aftermarket replacement in there. Currently, it does not look like I can fix this, but I already devised "a fix" for this" I will probably pull a plug off the reversing aid - either the one for power supply or the one going to the beeping speaker...

Asado (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:22 AM

Corrosion is gone for now ))

next up I want to repaint the bumper then polish the entire car and go for a hydrophobic coating

h2o2steam (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Funny, I also just bought yet another Jag, and also a X-Type (2.5L AWD 2004), and it also had the very recent issue that the remote does not open the frt. passenger door, I also fixed that issue with WD40, and it also has a reversing aid issue (it beeps like mad without any reason). I think someone already put an aftermarket replacement in there. Currently, it does not look like I can fix this, but I already devised "a fix" for this" I will probably pull a plug off the reversing aid - either the one for power supply or the one going to the beeping speaker...
Yeah aftermarket systems are a pain in the *** I imagine, especially when you don’t know what it is or have any documentation for it

Old 03-17-2023, 02:40 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Asado
I jiggled it around and sprayed some WD-40, which got it to open once. Sprayed some more WD-40 and left it for a day. Has been working like a charm since then.
WD-40 isn't a long-term lubricant, now that it's operating, re-lube with light oil or silicone grease.

For the locks, only use dry graphite lubricant.

And now is a good time to get an extra key with transponder. Check with your locksmiths over there. You don't need a fob, just a key with cloned chip, that you put in a safe place.

Asado (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sone
WD-40 isn't a long-term lubricant, now that it's operating, re-lube with light oil or silicone grease.

For the locks, only use dry graphite lubricant.

And now is a good time to get an extra key with transponder. Check with your locksmiths over there. You don't need a fob, just a key with cloned chip, that you put in a safe place.
Thanks a lot for the advice! <3
The door actually stopped locking yesterday again, so I sprayed it with WD-40 again and will get silicon grease today to fix it more long term. I’m still very new to this, didn’t do any work on my previous car myself.
I already have a spare key with a fob thankfully

And god it’s beautiful. Also, I’ve debadged it, looks much cleaned imo