X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First real problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default First real problem...

So I finally got to find out that my car does have a limp mode function after over 8 years or ownership (9 years in september). I have a 2004 2.5, 5 speend Manual 118K miles. While driving, the car just went in to limp mode, and a red circle with an explanation mark came on in the dash. This happen once before last week, but after having the car off for a while (5 mins), the car went back to normal (for about a week). As a precaution, I read a few threads regarding this light, and changed my battery cables as they may have been the culprit (corrosion on one of the terminals). Thought that was the end of it...

Today, I had the same light go on with the limp mode, but the CEL also went on. This time, after having the car off for a while, it did not go back to normal (hopefully I havent hurt it more by not fixing correctly the first time). Had the car towed back home, and will check the codes later tonight.

Just wanted to see if I might be missing anything. I will post up the codes and descriptions once I read them, so might be the first place to start.

Appreciate any feedback.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

4XType, that problem is too generic to limit it to any one thing. I would see what the code is and then go from there. Granted, might be due to a bad hose between the PCV valve and the intake, could be the throttlebody sticking, could be damaged wires on the throttlebody plug, could be a lot of things. See what the codes tell you. That will then get us going in the right direction.

The following users liked this post:
04Xtype (07-18-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 03:13 AM

Thanks for the response Thermo. I just read the codes and it showed one fault code and two pending codes (not sure what pending means).

The Fault code was P1229 (based on a quick search on the forum, it is a "throttle motor disconnect or motor failure"), and the Pending codes were P1111 (indicates that OnBoard Monitoring Tests Performed/Pending? ) and P1229.

Any advice of where to start or what the potential areas to look in to first would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 AM

Here is some more information I have found after some searches. not really sure how to interpret based on my limited knowledge. Will try the holding the accelerator down for 5 seconds as described 3 times, but not really sure what it is trying to do. The copy and paste does not show up as I intended. Info can be found in this link at page 50: http://www.jagrepair.com/DTCforms/X4..._OBD_II_R4.pdf

Could be good for others too as has descriptions and trouble shoot for other codes too.

P1229 EMS OBD II
Throttle motor control circuit malfunction
Battery voltage > 10 v
Ignition ON
Slowly press accelerator pedal to the floor over a 5 second period. Slowly return the pedal to rest. Repeat 3 times
2R ECM Default:
– Throttle motor and throttle motor relay disabled
– Throttle valve opening set to default value
– Idle speed controlled by fuel
injection intervention
– Idle speed adaption inhibited
— Throttle motor disconnected
Throttle motor to ECM drive circuits:
short circuit or open circuit
Throttle motor failure
DTC SYS FAULT DESCRIPTION MONITORING CONDITIONS CK ENG OTHER DEFAULT ACTION CM PIN POSSIBLE CAUSES

Last edited by 04Xtype; 07-19-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

04XType, from my experience, your problem is going to lie with the plug on the throttlebody (driver's side). The wiring can get damaged and it will cause the ECM to see issues and throw the code. Normally really close to the plug, you will find exposed wiring. If this is the case, let me know and I will let you know how to fix this. Granted, it is possible that your throttlebody is failing and it is causing the issue. I would try cleaning the throttlebody using some throttlebody cleaner (not carb cleaner). If you see brown, squirt it with the TB cleaner. You may find that the car will be flooded when you go to start it. So, press the throttle to the floor as you go to start the car and hold it there until the motor catches. Then you can lift up on the throttle as is needed to maintain the engine running.

Keep in mind when cleaning the throttlebody that you need to pay particular attention to the edge of the butterfly (silver disk in the center). This can build up gum there and due to the tight tolerances, it is easy for it to stick.

The following users liked this post:
04Xtype (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 AM

Finally got around to working on the car. Removed the throttle body and cleaned using throttle body cleaner. Wasnt too dirty, but cleaned it up to look like new. As Thermo mentioned, the connector closer to the drivers side may have been the culprit. the outer casing of the connecter had broken (part that helps hold the connectors together). Think this may have caused the plug to not securely connect. I ended up using elecrical tape to hold the two plugs together.

When i took the throttle body off, i didnt realize the two hoses i disconnected would leak coolant. by the time i noticed later in the day, quite a lot of coolant had leaked out. Will need to top up or just flush with new fluid. (FYI for others removing the Throttle body in the future that are like me with little knowledge about the throttle body connections)

After installing everything back together, the car drove a little weird where it would rev up as soon as i let off the gas. Could just be the car adjusting. Let it sit for a while with the engine running and the car seems to drive fine right now, and the CEL has not returned since clearing. Still shows Code P1000 as it has not perfomed the check (Drove only about 8-10 miles since clearing the code).

I am hoping the issue will not return.

Thanks Thermo for all your assistance during this issue. Wouldnt have been able to do this myself without your help.

04X

Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

04XType, not a problem. That is why we are here. NOrmally I just pull the intake hose off and then squirt the cleaner in that way instead of removing the throttlebody. But, it is what it is. HOpefully everything gets back to normal for you. Take one of these nights, go out for a nice drive and watch the sun set as you give the kitty a chance to get to P1111 (all good).