X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Focus ST Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Focus ST Brakes

I have read on another Jag forum that Ford Focus ST brakes are a bolt on for our car. My understanding is that the front brakes are larger than what came on our X-Type. Anyone here make this change? If so with what success?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
I have read on another Jag forum that Ford Focus ST brakes are a bolt on for our car. My understanding is that the front brakes are larger than what came on our X-Type. Anyone here make this change? If so with what success?
I believe there are a couple threads with all of the P/Ns needed here on the forum. Do a search and you should find them.

Personally I want to go with Brembo's. The Jaguar Brembo's that are a direct fit to the spindles are nearly impossible to get a hold of these days. I might have to rethink this approach.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The front ST 225 front brakes are a straight swap, bolt holes for the carrier match exactly, but you need 17" wheels to clear them!!! The rears are the same size!!
This thread covers it - X type brakes upgrade

Old 06-16-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by euanT
The front ST 225 front brakes are a straight swap, bolt holes for the carrier match exactly, but you need 17" wheels to clear them!!! The rears are the same size!!
This thread covers it - X type brakes upgrade
Thanks. Have you tried it?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
Thanks. Have you tried it?
I started purchasing some of the parts for a fit check. First thing I found is that the Focus ST225 is a European version and that I needed to confirm/cross over different USA focus brakes. I found what I thought was an equivalent caliper here in the USA, but decided not to purchase them and opted to go the Brembo route. I didn't store the P/Ns in my files. I purchased a Volvo spindle, a 2105 USA ford Focus spindle and an extra X-type spindle. All three have slightly different ways of mounting to the control arms, but the caliper mounts and center hub section appear to be the same design. Therefore Volvo calipers can fit as well. (I can't remember which Volvo model off the top of my head, but it is published in a thread somewhere.)

I personally don't like having one bigger mono-piston caliper. I'd rather have 4 smaller ones as used in Brembos.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:40 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Not me personally, no, but quite a few guys over here(UK) have!! When I bought my car I thought the brakes seemed a bit "wooly", but the local Jag indy stated that they all seem that way, but they do stop the car!! If you are needing better for track days etc. just fit Green/redstuff pads!!!

Old 06-17-2016, 07:10 AM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Back when I had my X-Type I looked into doing this upgrade and I collected all the part numbers for the calipers, springs and mounting brackets.

1477828 caliper
1477830 caliper
1477827 caliper mount bracket (2 required)
1384290 brake disc (2 required)
1368558 brake pads
1461506 pad retaining spring (2 required)

(those are the OEM rotors and pads, if you want aftermarket ones then you have to look for ones to suit the 2.5L Focus ST225)

As I recall there are two ways to go about the ST225 brake upgrade, you can keep the standard size brake rotor but put the bigger caliper on by using the original caliper bracket with the bigger caliper. Or use the ST225 bracket and then you need to go to bigger rotors.

The calipers are actually Volvo OEM components, in the meantime I actually did a similar upgrade on my Land Rover Freelander 2 / LR2, using Volvo XC90 calipers and XC70 rotors (they are slightly bigger size to the Focus ST225 setup though, don't fit the X-Type).

EDIT

Actually something for you to investigate.

The Brembo's from the Volvo S60R and V70R have the same mounting points as the XC90 caliper which I believe are the same as the ST225.

So in theory you might be able to bolt the R Brembo calipers straight on but you will have to check what the correct size of brake rotor will be. The S60R had 330mm rotors, but that might not be the same diameter when the caliper is mounted on an X-Type / Mondeo front upright.

S60R Brembos

The stock S60R rotors won't fit on the X-Type as even though the PCD of the studs is the same the center bore hole is bigger on those Volvo's, you'd need a spacer ring to centralise the rotor.

Last edited by Cambo; 06-17-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Cameron.

Do you know what diameter the Focus rotors are? (305mm? 330mm?)
>1384290 brake disc (2 required)

I went ahead an purchased a pair of V60R front Brembo calipers to fit check on the X-type spindle, but I don't think they will fit. (See attached image)
Will the Volvo S60R calipers require a smaller diameter rotor than the Jaguar Silverstone "un-obtainable" Brembo calipers and still fit with 17" wheels?

Does anyone have the piston sizes for the Volvo Brembo calipers?

Edit: Could the Jaguar caliper be a lot larger than the Volvo caliper such that the mounting bolt pattern is the same, and it just looks different?

Attached Thumbnails Focus ST Brakes-jag-vs-volvo.jpg  

Last edited by Tijoe; 06-17-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: add image
Old 06-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Hey Joe,

My understanding is that the ST225 front rotors are 320mm
The X-Type fronts are 300mm
The S60R fronts are 330mm

The ST225 calipers bolt straight on to the X-Type with the 300mm rotors, or onto the 320mm setup if you use the ST225 mounting bracket.

I'm a bit confused now about your pictures, the X100 XK8/XKR Brembo calipers fits on the X-Type mounting points?? The Brembo's on the X100 are 355mm at the front so no chance of a 17" wheel going over a 355mm setup with that caliper.

The Brembo caliper on the X100 is very large, the V60R ones are relatively smaller. Not sure if that explains the difference in mounting points though.

But the X100 was an older unrelated platform so i'm really surprised that the would just bolt up...

Old 06-18-2016, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

I mated the X100 Brembo caliper to the X-type spindle with a 330mm rotor.
Set-up fits into a 17" wheel.

I believe the X100 had 355 rotors, such that the caliper mounting holes are mounted farther out from the spindle hub center than the X-type caliper mounting holes.

Attached Thumbnails Focus ST Brakes-bremboxtype.jpg  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

No go using Volvo S60R Brembo calipers!!!

The Volvo S60R Brembo calipers arrived today. As you can see in the attached images the volvo Caliper doesn't come close to the X-type caliper mounts. If I tried to use these, an adapter bracket would be necessary.....

Attached Thumbnails Focus ST Brakes-20160620_194247.jpg   Focus ST Brakes-20160620_194433.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 05:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Focus ST Brakes best mod for the X Type jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
osmokott (08-22-2021)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

After 10 months, I finally found a set of XKR Brembos for sale on E-bay. Paid more than I wanted, but I finally have a set of these rare brakes to install on my X-type.

I've torn one apart and will start tonight on stripping the other. Seals and boots are on order. Trying to decide if I should powder coat or can paint.
It is interesting to note that these brakes have the aluminum anodized beneath the paint. Finally I will be able to make some forward progress on bigger brakes.

Attached Thumbnails Focus ST Brakes-20170420_193011.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
After 10 months, I finally found a set of XKR Brembos for sale on E-bay. Paid more than I wanted, but I finally have a set of these rare brakes to install on my X-type.

I've torn one apart and will start tonight on stripping the other. Seals and boots are on order. Trying to decide if I should powder coat or can paint.
It is interesting to note that these brakes have the aluminum anodized beneath the paint. Finally I will be able to make some forward progress on bigger brakes.
Tijoe, what are your plans as far as rotors? Stock XKR units? Please keep us updated on your progress; the only reason I haven't ordered brakes yet is I'm not sure which route to go as I'm very unhappy with the stock brakes. I emailed Caggers with a quote request for the Focus ST brakes to be sent over but I have heard nothing yet.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chknhwk
Tijoe, what are your plans as far as rotors? Stock XKR units? Please keep us updated on your progress; the only reason I haven't ordered brakes yet is I'm not sure which route to go as I'm very unhappy with the stock brakes. I emailed Caggers with a quote request for the Focus ST brakes to be sent over but I have heard nothing yet.
I started researching off-the-shelf rotors. So far, I haven't found one I can easily adapt. I have a bench mock-up put together. (Used a X-type spindle/hub with rear solid S-type R 330mm OD rotor and the XKR Brembo bolted to the spindle.) Caliper alignment on the spindle is perfect for a 330 rotor. The 15mm wide STR rotor sits just about in the middle of the XKR caliper pads. I have the required rotor height and have calculated the rotor thickness and offsets. So far I haven't run across an-off the shelf rotor that will work.

When I get a little further along, I will post pictures.
Over the weekend, I ordered a lot of the parts I want replace when I put on the calipers. Rebuildable spindles, hub bearings, tie rod ends, lower control arms, speed sensors. G2 caliper paint, Jaguar caliper stickers, brake pads (redstuff)
I still need to order braided brake lines, appropriate bolts to hold on the calipers, figure out and order rotors and decide if I want/need to replace the shocks while I am at it. The ABS / DCS recently threw some faults on the car, so I may purchase a spare ABS module if all of the sensors test out.

The following users liked this post:
chknhwk (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 AM

I started researching off-the-shelf rotors. So far, I haven't found one I can easily adapt. I have a bench mock-up put together. (Used a X-type spindle/hub with rear solid S-type R 330mm OD rotor and the XKR Brembo bolted to the spindle.) Caliper alignment on the spindle is perfect for a 330 rotor. The 15mm wide STR rotor sits just about in the middle of the XKR caliper pads. I have the required rotor height and have calculated the rotor thickness and offsets. So far I haven't run across an-off the shelf rotor that will work.

When I get a little further along, I will post pictures.
Over the weekend, I ordered a lot of the parts I want replace when I put on the calipers. Rebuildable spindles, hub bearings, tie rod ends, lower control arms, speed sensors. G2 caliper paint, Jaguar caliper stickers, brake pads (redstuff)
I still need to order braided brake lines, appropriate bolts to hold on the calipers, figure out and order rotors and decide if I want/need to replace the shocks while I am at it. The ABS / DCS recently threw some faults on the car, so I may purchase a spare ABS module if all of the sensors test out.

Definitely keep us updated. What rotor height are you looking for? As LemonsRacer can attest I've been doing some research on this same thing for a while but have only recently gotten back into it as I just purchased another X-Type (wife made me get rid of the first one). What research tools have you been using to look at rotor sizes? I've found the Brembo site very useful when looking at brake rotor measurements.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Do you think some 336mm rotors would fit? We're only talking a difference of +3 mm at either end... The reason I ask is (according to what I've found online anyway) is there were a few Volvos that came with 336mm rotors and also a 5x108 bolt pattern.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

I ordered a set of inexpensive S70 Volvo 330mm rotors today that have the potential to work. I will mill the 5x180 pattern into these to test. If they work, I'll write up what I did If they don't work, I will have to go with a 2-piece rotor and this will cost around $800/pair.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:24 PM

I ordered a set of inexpensive S70 Volvo 330mm rotors today that have the potential to work. I will mill the 5x180 pattern into these to test. If they work, I'll write up what I did If they don't work, I will have to go with a 2-piece rotor and this will cost around $800/pair.
at $800 a pop why not order ST brakes from European Amazon or other supplier. It must be cheaper and it seems like a well documented swap on the Jag forum with mostly those from the UK.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM

What year S70? Keep us updated. You're not the only one working in a similar direction.

Quick Reply: Focus ST Brakes