X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found: Adjustable rear upper control arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kit.

First and foremost, please understand that I have no intention of blaming anyone.
Previously, when I ordered the upper arm kit on ebay without adjustment, Asked Japanese maintenance shop to replace it.They decide to do not change those parts(even i asked them to change) I remember and found that there are some parts left over in my hand.
Could it be a reason of negative camber if I didn't replace this part together?
I have already ordered the parts you taught me, but I will hurry, so please lend me some wisdom.

1.Shall I wait to those new upper arm whth adjustable arrive and change only that parts?

2.Shall I try to change those parts I have in my hand first?

3.Shall I wait till parts arrive and change all what I have then.

Thank you.
Jiro.

Parts that they does not changed.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Jiro, the parts in the pic are for the rear sway bar. You can do that any time you want. There is not that much involved. The big thing is making sure that both tires are in the same condition (ie, both tires off the ground or both on a level surface. If you have the car not on a level surface, this will put stress on the sway bar and this will make removal a lot more difficult. Now, replacing the forward/lower arm would be a good thing to do so you only need to pay for 1 alignment on the car. But, if it is in good condition, then I would not worry about it.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:23 PM

Hi Thermo san,

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,
Jiro.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Jiro, I need to get back to your area. I got to spend some time in your country and loved it. Most of my time was down near Yokosuka, but did make it up to Tokyo and into the Akihabara district. Very interesting place. HOpefully I can make it back there soon.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:41 AM

Hi Thermo san,

I live in more mountain side,Please let me know when you come back to Japan.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Jiro.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:01 AM
Default Parts arrived!

Dear Thermo san and All.

Report to everyone.
Parts arrived today!
I will go to the maintenance shop tomorrow.

Would it be just replace and bolt on?

Please let me know if you have any advice on installation.

Thank you very much!

Jiro.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:06 PM

After installing the Adjustable rear upper control arm in the spring, the tires are decreasing again. It is strange that the alignment and camber should have been adjusted. It also looks like "ハ"again...

The shop saying to me needs to replace all the rear parts with new ones. Is it true?
The parts attached to the top of the spring have come down. I plan to remove it.
Please tell me what you should do from now on.
1. I want to fix the tire loss.
2. There is a strange noise. (The dealer says that the REAR SUSPENSION CONTROL TRAILING ARM needs to be replaced.)
3. I want to replace the suspension because I will carry a lot of heavy luggage.
Should it be a sports type at that time best? Is the spring also replaced?

I ordered the tires and will replace them soon.
I like this car and want to ride for a long time.
Please help me.

Thank you for your time.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Jiro, from the sounds of things, the heavy weight is what is causing a lot of your issues. I would start with replacing the springs. With age, coil springs loose their ability to support weight and will sag more than normal. Now, when you say you carry a lot of heavy luggage, how often and how much weight. Are we talking once a month and a hundredish kilos? Or, is this pretty much every day and 200 kilos? If you are carrying a lot of weight more than 50% of the time, I would get the car aligned with the weight in the car. This will affect how the alignment on the car will be. If you are carrying this weight say 25% of the time, I would get the car aligned with say half the weight in the trunk/boot. This will give you a middle of the road alignment for the 2 conditions.

I have 1 other check I would like you to try. Take the car out for a drive and find a round-a-bout/traffic circle or a cloverleaf on/off ramp. You want something that you can be traveling at say about 40 KM/H. As you go into the turn, step on the gas like you were going to pass someone on the curve (do this in a safe manner, please). As you step on the gas, did the rear end feel like it was getting ready to come around on you (it won't, but you will feel it move)? If yes, then your lower/forward control arms are in need of replacement too.

If you have more questions, please let me know. We can get you your car back to where it is not eating a rear set of tires a year.

The following users liked this post:
ugotmale (07-26-2022)
Old 08-18-2021, 04:41 PM

Hi Thermo san,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I would say I carry about 100kg almost every time. But I took off rear seat to loss weight.
Plus some time I carry Bell tent which plus 25kg and camping gear.
And regarding your 2nd question, I think it is happening, I have not tried that way but when I drive a gap. I felt that rear tire is going to move inside. It is very strange feeling and only few second but I can tell something is wrong at rear when I drive a gap slowly. Is it what are you talking about?

However, I agree time to replace those parts so could you please double check am I buying correct parts and it is very helpful if you know the place or shop that I can buy at same place to save shipping cost? If you know best place to buy please give me advice.
I am sending link of parts.
My Jaguar is 2004y, 2.1 litter front drive, Patrol. Estate.

JAGUAR X-TYPE REAR SUSPENSION CONTROL TRAILING ARM C2S50863 x2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291675774940

Rear Coil Spring FOR JAGUAR X-TYPE 2.0 2.1 2.2 03->09 Estate X400 AJ-V6 K-Flex x2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372655068043

Control Arm Rear Lower Forward Driver or Passenger Side for 02-08 Jaguar X-Type x2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313339123634

Items (6)
£151.28
Postage to Japan
£164.87
Discounts
-£3.62
Total
£312.53

Sincerely,
Jiro.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 738 Likes on 660 Posts

Why 2 rear front lower arms? Yes 2 being left and right but why 2 different listing? They are $65 a pair in the u.s. from partsgeek.

I'd change the shocks too while you're in there. I'd also check out forum sponsor SNG Barratt UK site (they offer a discount to forum members).

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 08-19-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Jiro, like Dell is getting at, your first and third parts are the same component. So, you only need one or the other. Granted, you do need 2 arms (one for the left side, one for the right side). These arms are what is causing that "loose" feeling on the corners and may be what is eating up your tires. What you have to picture is with these arms having some play in them, the tires are allowed to "steer" left and right, causing the back end of the car to follow the front to the side. Or, the other option is both tires will "turn" different directions, causing the left rear tire to pull the car left and the right rear tire to pull the car to the right. This causes the tires to fight each other and it will eat up a set of tires in no time flat.

Something else you may want to consider is raising the rear tire pressures. Most people say to keep the fronts at 38 psig and the rears at 35 psig for long tire life. But, in your case, keeping the weight in the rear of the car most of the time, you may need to bump up the tire pressures to say 38-40 psig (assuming your tires are rated for a max of 44 psig). This will help keep the tire riding flat on the road. If you have your tire pressures too low, this causes the side of the tire to bulge out which causes the center of the tire to be lifted up, forcing your tires to wear mainly on the outside edges. You add in a slight camber issue and that can eat up the inside of your tires.

Get the new springs and front arms for the rear suspension installed and then get a 4 wheel alignment done with your "normal amount of weight" in the car. I am sure the alignment shop is going to give you grief. You can politely explain to them that a vehicle should be aligned how it is normally driven to prevent changes in the suspension due to weight variances. Besides, jaguar recommends when someone aligns the car, they are supposed to put like 80 kg of weight in the driver's seat to simulate a driver in the car. Have you ever seen a shop do that? Most don't, but they are supposed to.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:29 PM

Hello Thermo san,

Thank you very much for your answer.
I got it.
Could you please advice about rear spring I am thinking to buy this and if it is o.k. or, Do i best to buy KYB??
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/71152/category/4439/

Sincerely,
Jiro.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:54 AM

Hello Thermo san,
I ordered both spring and control arm today.
I also changed tire it is not new, Second hand till I resolve those problems...
I like pireli non flat tires so I choose P7 this time.
Thank you very much again for your help Thermo san.
I also stop carrying heavy gear all time, Only when I need then I will carry.
Local car repair service recommend me Toyota High ace, To carry heavy stuff but I would like to ride this beautiful car for more...
I will see.
I will update when my car back to normal...

Sincerely,
Jiro.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

Jiro, I would call up the seller and see if they can give you the spring rates for the various springs. The stock springs in the X-Type came in 2 heights, normal and sport (with the sports being 40mm shorter). But, the different colors of springs are indicating different spring rates. In your case, you want the highest spring rate possible. This will minimize the amount of droop that the rear end is going to have. Now, this will make the car ride a little harsher when it is completely empty, but it doesn't sound like that is really an issue for you. I am thinking that you are going to find that the yellow aftermarket springs are going to be the ones that you are going to go after. But, this is just a guess assuming that the aftermarket springs are going to be the stiffer springs. This is where the seller will be able to help you out.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:58 AM

Thermo san,
Thank you for your polite explanation and reply.
I ordered an ordinary spring.
It will be cured in early September at the earliest.
There are few companies that measure Jaguar tire alignment here, and it is also difficult to find a good company.
I will report again.
Thank you for your time.
Very truly yours,
Jiro.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:58 PM

Thermo san,
Excuse me for my questions...
After lower arm and spring installed. The mechanic cannot adjust the toe.
Is there a place to adjust the toe on this car?
The upper arm comes with a Mazda item that you taught me in this forum, but they are saying it can't be adjusted anymore. The current toe number is about 13.
Does the Hanes manual I have specify toe adjustments? In my memory, there was certainly a place for toe adjustment on the back side where you shouldn't normally modify it. Please give me guidance.
Very truly yours.
Jiro.

Old 09-01-2021, 02:54 AM

I have seen the car.
All parts installed.
This time the rear tire is a positive camber.
No more adjustments can be made with the upper arm. They said.
Isn't the length of the upper arm too long? Was pointed out.
Since it is impossible to make any more visual adjustments, I will continue to ride for a while and see how it looks. It may be straight if I load a lot of luggage.
Very truly yours,
Jiro.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

Jiro, if you go back to the original postings about this that I made many, many years ago, I mentioned this very thing. What you need to do is remove the nut. This will allow the heim joint to screw in a little further, getting you to your 0 toe adjustment. The ones I have seen, there is an allen on the arm that stll allow the heim joint to be locked into place.

Old 09-01-2021, 06:08 AM

Thermo san,

Thank you very much for your reply!
May I ask you and kindly confirm when you said Remove the nut, Which nut is it ?
Is it about upper arm I changed adjustable double nut ? Do I need replace to thin size nut?
I am getting very closer so please advice.

Very truly yours,
Jiro.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:07 AM

Thermo san.
This one you talked about?
I Google about Heim joint you talked about and found it.
I'll ask mechanic to take off the nut.
Excuse me for my english and many questions.
I don't know how to thank you.
Thank you so much for your help!

Greetings.
Jiro.

Last edited by Jiro; 09-01-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Found: Adjustable rear upper control arm