X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel door will not open

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel door will not open

pulling on the fuel release lever does not open the fuel door. there is no resistance or pop when you pull the release lever.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You will need to remove the trunk liner and you can get to the cable from the back of the fill door. To remove the cable rotate it counter clockwise facing the inside of the trunk.
The cable is quite long and runs along the drivers side of the vehicle, across underneath the rear seat to the passenger side C Pillar and on into the trunk.

The following users liked this post:
JagXSE (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,277 Likes on 1,375 Posts

In all probability you do not need to do this invasive procedure. There is no resistance on the cable as you pull the lever because the release spring is not engaged with the tab on the fuel door.

The problem will likely be right in the spring catch for the tab on the door. Enlist a person to hold the release lever in the car while you put a credit card at the edge of the fuel door and pull it open. Once open you will be able to note the curved spring bit that is supposed to mate properly with the tab on the door as it closes so that the spring is pushing against the door. You will be able to bend the spring so that it contacts properly and thus pushes the door open when the cable lever is pulled.
The misalignment occurs when the fuel door is repeatedly slammed - and nothing on a jaguar should be slammed shut. The fuel door will "click" gently closed.
I faced this exact issue 13 years ago on my wife's X-Type. Solution as described and it has never happened again - because I always do the fueling
Please report on what you find.

Last edited by sov211; 05-21-2017 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gaelic 12 (04-30-2018)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi nothing to do with the OP but being nosey I had a look at this little leaf spring on my X type. Good job I did as it was rusting pretty badly. Greased it up well to stop this. I bet you would have difficulty obtaining this little bit of spring steel.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

And where is the OP? The courtesy of a reply would be appreciated....

Old 05-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Default OP

Originally Posted by sov211
And where is the OP? The courtesy of a reply would be appreciated....
Happens on all the forums my friend, a thing we have to learn to live with.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DUNKS
Hi nothing to do with the OP but being nosey I had a look at this little leaf spring on my X type. Good job I did as it was rusting pretty badly. Greased it up well to stop this. I bet you would have difficulty obtaining this little bit of spring steel.

Restaurant supply house; a spring for serving tongs will fit nicely with a wee bit o' dremel!

Old 05-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Default SPRING

Originally Posted by wa3ra
Restaurant supply house; a spring for serving tongs will fit nicely with a wee bit o' dremel!
Thanks for that!

Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 AM

In all probability you do not need to do this invasive procedure. There is no resistance on the cable as you pull the lever because the release spring is not engaged with the tab on the fuel door.

The problem will likely be right in the spring catch for the tab on the door. Enlist a person to hold the release lever in the car while you put a credit card at the edge of the fuel door and pull it open. Once open you will be able to note the curved spring bit that is supposed to mate properly with the tab on the door as it closes so that the spring is pushing against the door. You will be able to bend the spring so that it contacts properly and thus pushes the door open when the cable lever is pulled.
The misalignment occurs when the fuel door is repeatedly slammed - and nothing on a jaguar should be slammed shut. The fuel door will "click" gently closed.
I faced this exact issue 13 years ago on my wife's X-Type. Solution as described and it has never happened again - because I always do the fueling
Sov211

Many thanks for this superb resolution of an issue which has been hanging over me all weekend.Was looking for an alternative and wondered if I could access the release
through the boot having failed first time round with your suggestion and then on retrying realised that I had held the Credit Card at the wrong side of the door.
Absolutely delighted that it was such a simple resolution and grateful to you for the articulate way you set it out.
Really appreciate your sharing such knowledge /expertise
Gaelic 12 (UK)

Old 04-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

I am glad that this worked for you - it may seem odd but there are a number of problems that can be caused by overly aggressive behaviour: slamming instead of gently pressing. There is never a need to slam a Jaguar door, glovebox lid, boot lid, fuel door, or bonnet. "Firmly but gently" works every time, assuming there has not been previous damage/misalignment caused by overly enthusiastic behaviour. This is not a new situation. The XJ models of the 1968 to 1992 period carried a decal at the boot opening which said (in 5 languages) DO NOT SLAM! Only a firm but gentle press was needed to make the lid click securely home. Similarly, the bonnet needed only a firm press either by lifting at the grille or by pressing at the centre of the panel. When the bonnet was slammed at one side or the other the panel was twisted and this resulted in further latching issues. The modern XK and particularly the F-Type with its clamshell bonnet require the Jaguar gentle-but-firm approach so as not to cause damage.
The issue with fuel doors is similar - just close it gently, pressing until it clicks home. That way the spring is engaged but not distorted.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:38 PM

I am glad that this worked for you - it may seem odd but there are a number of problems that can be caused by overly aggressive behaviour: slamming instead of gently pressing. There is never a need to slam a Jaguar door, glovebox lid, boot lid, fuel door, or bonnet. "Firmly but gently" works every time, assuming there has not been previous damage/misalignment caused by overly enthusiastic behaviour. This is not a new situation. The XJ models of the 1968 to 1992 period carried a decal at the boot opening which said (in 5 languages) DO NOT SLAM! Only a firm but gentle press was needed to make the lid click securely home. Similarly, the bonnet needed only a firm press either by lifting at the grille or by pressing at the centre of the panel. When the bonnet was slammed at one side or the other the panel was twisted and this resulted in further latching issues. The modern XK and particularly the F-Type with its clamshell bonnet require the Jaguar gentle-but-firm approach so as not to cause damage.
The issue with fuel doors is similar - just close it gently, pressing until it clicks home. That way the spring is engaged but not distorted.
Gregory(sov211),
You are obviously very knowledgeable on all things to do with Jaguars and once again feel the need to acknowledge what a relief it was to find such an efficient and immediate resolution to my issue which had me in all kinds of thoughts about how I was going to get my car to somebody to solve this when almost out of petrol!
Really grateful that I managed to locate your advice and appreciate the wider point you are making which really illustrates just how little I know in my Jaguar ownership history which is now over 12 years at least.
Again many thanks and please keep sharing your knowledge and expertise with the wider and uninformed members of the Jaguar fraternity.
Regards

Gaelic 12

Old 08-27-2020, 07:44 AM

My fuel flap isnt staying shut.. not sure what is broken exactly... so attached a photo (dont have another X Type to compare to) in case anyone can tell me something is obviously wrong here or its the cable?

https://ibb.co/cTYKvQr

Old 09-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Default Saved my life

this saved my life. I was just feed up and gonna just sell the car. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

Keep the car....but since it is the fuel door that was the concern, another bit of advice: do NOT run the fuel tank low repeatedly. The major cause of modern fuel pump failure is repeatedly running to almost empty before refueling. Why? Because the fuel pumps on most modern cars (the X-Type included) are cooled by the fuel around the pump. Best practice: refill the tank at 1/4 full...because trust, me, you do NOT want to deal with a failed fuel pump in these cars.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Methanoid
My fuel flap isnt staying shut.. not sure what is broken exactly... so attached a photo (dont have another X Type to compare to) in case anyone can tell me something is obviously wrong here or its the cable?

https://ibb.co/cTYKvQr
Anyone with an X Type able to compare their fuel flap to mine please?

Old 10-08-2021, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone give advice as how to re-instate the release cable back into the fuel filler cover?
My brother bought a 2.5 2007 estate at an auction and went to refuel and the flap would not open, he panicked, dismantled the interior in the boot area and just reached into the bodyshell behind the fuel filler and tugged the cable and the fuel flap popped open, but the cable came out in his hand!!
Now you have stopped snorting and laughing, does any one know how to reinstate the cable?
He thinks he has the whole cable with a coiled spring on the end. How does it get put in?

Any help would be very gratefully received.
Thank you.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

Idk if the explosion in this thread will help guide you =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-cable-79776/

Old 10-10-2021, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Idk if the explosion in this thread will help guide you =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...p-cable-79776/
Thank you for that. I think it may help.
I did look at his filler and took out the plastic screw of the fill shroud item 2 and it did not seem to do anything, But that may be what has gone wrong.
Thank you again.
DP.

Last edited by LeapingCat; 10-10-2021 at 04:14 PM.