X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump issues

Hi I have a Jaguar x type 2.0 petrol I got told it needed a new fuel pressure sensor but haven’t done it yet but I’ve noticed after being out an hour or so the pump makes a noise and the car loses power could this be because it needs a new pressure sensor? And could this make your pump burn out because my last pump burnt out and had to get it replaced

Old 08-22-2020, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,277 Likes on 1,375 Posts

Your fuel filter may need replacement...but if you have aleady had another pump fail, are you aware that the common cause of fuel pump failure (for in-tank pumps especially) is repeatedly running the fuel level down close to Empty? The pump is cooled by the fuel around it - best practice is to refuel when the level falls below 1/4 full.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Suggest getting code reader tool you can plug into the OBDII socket & read fuel pressure. Although I have an iPhone, bought a $13 ELM327 recommended by another member & used an Android phone.

Went through a period of the car stalling without ever getting a CEL. After a minute or two, car started up & all was fine for months until it got cold out. Eventually pump stopped completely. Car sat for 7 months. No big deal as I never drove in the winter. In May, got one more start out of it & got it into the garage. It’s always rewarding to know you got the last out of something before it dies. Was no way I wanted to work in the driveway. Neighbors would never leave me alone.

Rather than cut holes under the rear seat, dropped the tank. Depending on your skillset, not all that hard- but tedious. Only special tool needed was a 3/8” impact to remove the driveshaft bolts.

Can read about progress if you do a search.

Took the bottom of the failed pump off yesterday. Impeller wouldn’t turn until after removing it & using pliers to spin the shaft. Initial resistance: 27.2 ohms. After spinning, resistance dropped to .5 ohms- which I believe it normal for most motors.

Powered up & once the pump primed, shot large volume of water several feet. Powerful little sucker. Maybe if I feel like it, might cut the case off to see the inside. As it is, the pump is working fine.

Why did it fail. As most have told you, the pump is cooled by submersion in the canister of the fuel pump assy. At the bottom of the canister is what appears to be a simple check valve. Small thin disc of orange rubber covers a screen on the bottom of the canister. If you look at the picture, the rubber in mine are not centered on the screen- but off to one side. Why? Suspect Ethanol fuel- but don’t know for sure. Perhaps others may know. Noted the Carter P76600M fuel pump assy sold on Amazon (had to look at it) has a similar check valve that is, in fact, covered. This pump, despite the fitment app saying it’s for a 2004 Jaguar 3.0 X-Type is not for the X-Type.

Top view looking into the fuel pump assy after removing top cover & pump motor. Formed motor boot & filter still in place. AT 7 o’clock is the orange rubber disc.

Found a junkyard on Friday with an old S-Type. Considering cutting out sections containing the fuel pump & sending unit rubber covers & retrofitting onto my car. A lot easier IMHO than having to ever drop the tank again. Would allow me to add a second pump. Have experience & technology. Motivation- that’s another story.

Good luck.