X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Fuel pump replacement

Do we know if the actual electric fuel pump (Ford E2226) from the S-Type will fit our X-Types? Had a close call with my '07 this weekend. I'd driven the car maybe 6-miles in the past 4-months with the same 1/4 tank of fuel, Friday I drove it around the block in preparation to give it a good cleaning and fill the tank. When I turned it off it would not restart (cranked fine). Disconnected the schrader fitting at the fuel rail and and no fuel pressure when cranking, disconnected the fuel filter and no fuel when cranking, added 5-gal of fresh fuel and still nada.

After spending a few hours checking fuses, reading posts, and watching videos of the "Joys of replacing the X-Type fuel pump", I gave the bottom of the RH fuel tank a few good whacks with a rubber headed mallet while the wife cranked the engine. Presto! Fuel began pouring from the disconnected pump to filter line. I put the whole thing back together (with a new filter), drove to the gas station and filled the tank. After 2-days and a few hours of driving and idling, starting and restarting everything seems to be OK. The fuel pump is barely audible.

Coming from a auto recycling background this piqued my interest about interchangeability, especially when it's a potential savings of a few hundred dollars or more. I doubt that the pump/motor is exclusive to the X-Type.

Does anyone know for sure?

FORD E2226

YTV of S-Type replacement:

Last edited by BlownKitty; 10-13-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownKitty
Do we know if the actual electric fuel pump (Ford E2226) from the S-Type will fit our X-Types? Had a close call with my '07 this weekend. I'd driven car maybe 6-miles in the past 4-months with the same 1/4 tank of fuel, Friday I drove it around the block in preparation to give it a good cleaning and fill the tank. When I turned it off it would not restart (cranked fine). Disconnected the schrader fitting at the fuel rail and and no fuel pressure when cranking, disconnected the fuel filter and no fuel when cranking, added 5-gal of fresh fuel and still nada.

After spending a few hours checking fuses, reading posts, and watching videos of the "Joys of replacing the X-Type fuel pump", I gave the bottom of the RH fuel tank a few good whacks with a rubber headed mallet while the wife cranked the engine. Presto! Fuel began pouring from the disconnected pump to filter line. I put the whole thing back together (with a new filter), drove to the gas station and filled the tank. After 2-days and a few hours of driving and idling, starting and restarting everything seems to be OK. The fuel pump is barely audible.

Coming from a auto recycling background this piqued my interest about interchangeability, especially when it's a potential savings of a few hundred dollars or more. I doubt that the pump/motor is exclusive to the X-Type.

Does anyone know for sure?

FORD E2226

YTV of S-Type replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5r1OMxA51s
i used this genuine motorcraft pump. Problem was that the brass hose does not have the notch or lip on top, so I followed the advise of others and scored the brass , and created a sort of notch with an angular file. I also secured the rubber hose to it with a new FI small clamp. The car has gone from Houston to New Orleans and back since then (3 months ago) and it’s my daily driver, so it seems to be holding well.

The following users liked this post:
BlownKitty (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts

Blownkitty, you may be on to something. It says it also fits Ford Focus, Tribute and Lincoln LS. The LS in particular seems good because many LS parts work on X's. My assumption would be the pressure etc. would be correct. I know a member dropped an LS engine into a couple of X's with a bit of modification.

The pics look like the "fluted" end would also be the same as the original, eliminating the need to score it to keep the hose on.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 10-13-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 PM

** Update 11/08/19

3-times in the past 30-days/10-15 starts I've had to do the "whack the bottom of the RH fuel tank" to start the car, fortunately 2 of those times were in my driveway and the 3rd was in a parking lot on a nice sunny day.

I just ordered a Ford E2226 (manufactured by OSIAS and referenced in my original post) and will report back/update this post with the results of the installation.

Stay tuned.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:19 PM

*** Update 1/6/2020 Just finished the install yesterday (I work a little slow).

The FORD E2226 fuel pump fit just fine and is installed and functioning.

Though the outlet is not barbed; I used a fuel injection hose clamp to secure the line to it. One thing that I did differently than what I've seen in the pics and videos; I bought a rubber fuel pump access cover from a Lincoln LS/Jaguar X-Type (p/n 2W93-9C335-AA) and secured it to the underseat body panel using sheet metal screws and silicone to seal it.

Last edited by BlownKitty; 01-06-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member

Sorta, kinda like my repair =

The following users liked this post:
BlownKitty (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 05:50 PM

I modeled my repair based on yours Del, I should've taken a few pics.

When the time comes (and I'm sure that it will) to do my wifes '08 I'll take pics then. 'kinda makes you wonder about how many of the X-Types for sale on CL due to not starting are fuel pump related.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Also why the S type has the access and not the X ? Sure makes for a pricey replacement if you don't do it yourself. Then again in my case, after doing it, the bleeping, fraking $50 hose from the fill pipe to the tank takes a **** a couple of weeks later and I ended up paying the $800 "drop the tank" to fix it. Smfh!!

Old 09-30-2020, 06:20 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Here’s mine plus a question at the bottom

Cut two 8” holes. Used POR-15 Sealant to secure the cut pieces back in place. POR-15 is black, so it matches well.

Really didn’t want to cut holes- but then never wanted to drop the tank again....ever.

Before cleaning up.

If anyone wants a template or needs to know how I did it. Send $... <just kidding>. Will post something probably in the future. Car is purring like a kitten again. Had some weird issues. One for sure self inflicted. Probably the other too.

Had only one fuel sending registering. What’s weird was tank showed half full; but then went down to under empty. Problem? The knucklehead who put the fuel pump assy in forgot to plug the sending unit into the connector. Had a stern talk with myself...

Next problem was also self inflicted. Pulled the sending unit assy when I cleaned the tank. Put the two quick disconnects on & thought they both clicked. The smaller (high pressure) quick disconnect popped off. Know what the symptom was? No fuel pressure. Could make the pump motor run- not a drop of fuel. What the heck (or something like that).

Put the pump assy I rebuilt (new Vitron check valve on canister bottom) & a after-market motor. Same problem. Stop the music. Looked at the pump assy & remembered the parallel-pressure-relief valve. The output of the pump goes to several places to the 2 suction-jet pumps & the parallel-pressure-relief valve. Got to thinking, “what if the high-pressure hose popped off the sending-unit connection?” So had to look & voila! It had popped off, lowering the pressure too low for the parallel-pressure-relief valve. Son of a ahem, gun.

With the cheap $21 aftermarket pump, noticed fuel pressure was ~ 43 psi. With the Delphi, it was 57 psi. Notice also the Delphi canister check valve leaked like a sieve. The assy with the 9/16” Vitron disk, didn’t lose a drop.

Someone posted a source of supply & Jaguar part number for a Jaguar pump motor. Anyone have it? Thanx in advance.