X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel smell driver side rear (lhd)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts
Default Fuel smell driver side rear (lhd)

So a new event that I haven't seen/heard of and research returned nothing.

Drove on my monthly 150 mile round trip lottery run a few days ago. Put in $10 gas to get me to destination and 1/3 way back at the station I like to use to fill the car with pure gas. 20 miles before filling, the kitty threw 2 evap codes = very small and small. Oh great! Hope the repair done couple of years ago of the rubber hose from fuel fill line to gas tank has not failed again. Stopped and cleared the faults, continued to the fill station. Filled with no problem as usual. Continuing my journey home, I began smelling fuel in the cabin (not really descriptive = gagging strong). Finished drive home and exited the car. Looked underneath, no gas drips. Very strong fuel smell on the driver's side passenger back quarter panel. Maybe the charcoal filter or other components therin? Crawled underneath, no fuel anywhere. Hhhmmm? Maybe fuel leaking out of replaced fuel pump? I cut a hole for this (see thread) & rigged a removable cover to the hole. Nope, no gas. Middle electronic connection under the rubber flap where Jag Tech member Brutal says the gas tank can crack? Nope.

WTH? Ok, maybe it was a one off. Left it for 3 days and made a run to the grocery store, return = reeks of gas again!

Ok, let's try something. Recalling the persistent evap codes of a few years ago that progressed until it completely failed (again the aforementioned hose fuel to tank failure), I remembered the GURU (we're not worthy) Thermo suggesting that the evap purge pump (on the firewall next to the CAT plugs sometimes gets gunked up and to remove (CAREFULLY) the plastic tube and spray some MAF cleaner in there, let it evaporate, reattach.

That thing.

Ok, worth a shot. Did just that with additionally removing the tube (again CAREFULLY) from the manifold and sprayed some MAF cleaner into the tube (not manifold). Let it sit in our marvelous 102° heat to evaporate and reattached.

No fuel smell the last 4 starts and drives!!! :-) :-) :-)

Ok, weird that...