X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah man I'm going to be happy to get the cats away from the motor as well. I just got the rear bank header back from a welding shop from removing the EGR fitting. They did a pretty good job.

I do a ton of work in the GR area, I'm up there a couple days a week normally. Once it's back on the road you'll have to hear it in person when I take it up there on a job estimate or something. I'm sure a recording won't do it justice...

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 04-24-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see your new cat there... not doing true duals?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:49 PM

Nope. I'm trying to keep it close to factory design but only more free flowing. The harder it is to push those gasses out, the less power is going to the wheels. Just need to find the balance between free flowing and too little back pressure.

In the picture, right where the 2 tubes of the factory Y pipe meet each other and level out is where its going. So, in theory, the 2 into 1 cat will replace the 2 into 1 factory collector. This design puts the single pipe picking up about 4 inches further down the line than factory.

The factory Y pipe will be replaced with custom bent 2" pipe to match the cats 2" dual inlet and 2.5" single outlet.

2.5" stainless, single pipe no resonator(at first, depending on sound) with a factory mimicked Y out to the aero mufflers.

I call it a factory y pipe but I guess it doesn't actually y. It's like the upper portion of the y. The V pipe I guess haha

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 04-24-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that pic all too well. That was the build I originally fell in love with the header idea. That build never finished, and he had some Taurus manifolds as an idea as well. So, i'll be happy to see someone nearby finish, and actually go visit and hear it.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 AM

Yeah I can only assume that the reason he wasn't able to finish is because there wasn't a rear header assembly that would work. The one that tried using, the collector bottoms out on the transfer case, I made that mistake and bought that header first but ended up having to get the awd ford escape design.

Someone else ran a similar set up to me but it was with the taurus manifolds, I almost went that route but figured I should do what it takes to get headers on so I can be the first.

This escape header will easily slide back behind the valve cover once the factory manifold and cat come out first so install shouldn't actually be that much. I'm guessing I'll have up around 1600 into it. I don't think that's all that bad For being able to say I did what a lot of people have been wanting to do for a long time, since the jag motor project was started...

The following users liked this post:
liv2driv (04-25-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Any updates?

Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Justink201
Any updates?
This damn car has nickel and dimed me for the last few months! Lol I had to do front and rear lower controls arms and new tires up front because of the bad bushings. I actually JUST finished the rear about an hour ago along with passenger side rear wheel bearing! lol. I also had to do the oil pan gasket 3 weeks ago because it seemed like overnight the small leaked turned into a geyser!

I have had a hard time coming up with the full amount (1500-1800) for the entire exhaust system install at once so next week Wednesday I have an appointment for straight pipe from flex pipe back to the mufflers and then hopefully in 2-4 weeks I can get the headers in. If not, I've decided to try to Install the headers myself and just have a shop run the custom
Y to the high flow cat.

It sucks man, I can't fuggin believe that I haven't been able to get it done yet!

I recently dropped my largest account I held for business (lowes) because it's nothing but issue after issue and they don't care about their customers or their installers so it's just not worth having my company name wrapped up in that trash anymore. So, needless to say, I lost about 60% of my income!

Believe me though dude, jaguar forums will be the first to know when it's done!

Honestly, it was for sale about a month ago because I was getting sick of the issues but I've seemed to have worked them all out and I still love the damn thing so I'm back on track! Lol

Old 06-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you're keeping at it! This is my favorite thread on the forums.
I'm anticipating the final product!!!
Can't wait to see, and hopefully hear it.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:13 AM

I did the mufflers and 2.5" from flex pipe with no resonator yesterday. Next step is the manifolds and the "v" pipe from the headers to the high flow. No need to post a sound clip unless y'all really want me to but it sounds just like ACapiz's set up but here's a picture of it

All new love for this thing!

Old 07-02-2015, 11:10 AM

No underside pics?? Did you replace the pipes that go over the rear axles with 2.5 inch pipes too? Oh and is that big tow hook bolted to the stock eyelet screw in hook? Nice wheels.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM

No underside pics yet but yes, it is 2.5" all the way to the mufflers. The guys had a hell of a time with the Y over the diff! It goes back in the air next week for some more planning and I'll be sure to get some then, my phone was dead when they finished it so I couldn't get any

Yes, the toe hook is just the bolt on type that is attached to the factory eyelet. Definitely just for looks lol but I like it.

The wheels are just plasti dipped but yeah I like them too! The original plan is/was to powdercoat them candy red but after the first coater backed out I had trouble finding a good company to do it. I have one lined up now but this car has been a money pit since then and right now this exhaust is my biggest mod priority. I have been craving a different color on the wheels for a long time, this just kinda ties me over til the wheels get coated!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 PM

I am getting a massive amount of rattling going on! It's up in that Y section above the diff! It's going back in the shop tomorrow morning and they are going to try to route the piping below and around the diff somehow. As long as it doesn't hinder clearance or look ridiculous from the side with piping hanging down all low and whatnot, I don't care how they do it. The straighter the shot the better anyways when it comes to restriction. I'll take pictures tomorrow morning when it's on the lift!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 AM

Another option could be to wrap the pipes with header wrap to act as a cushion between the pipes and frame. Although they would eventually wear through with time, but the wrap can take the heat.