X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future collectability ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spielnicht
Love my X-Type and believe it's one of the best cars I've owned. However, because of ignorance, the car never received favorable reviews and is included in a couple of lists as one of the bigger automotive failures. We obviously don't agree, but sadly I think that plays a big factor in current resale value and longterm collectability hopes.
It's not really due to ignorance and it's not really because we don't agree. I'm certain most of us have simply come to terms with the X-Type's MANY downfalls. It is a big flop from Jag and why there are next to no aftermarket parts for it.

As for how collectible it will be, I'm sure it can very well be collectible. At the end of the day, a Jaguar is a Jaguar. Despite the vehicle's shortcomings, many Jaguar enthusiasts and connoisseurs respect the X-type for that.

It has the fact that it's Jag's first and only AWD and that it's a Jag to give it value. Also, the fact that it's a blunder by a highly respected company gives it value. Colt made a revolver for the Navy a long time ago; the cylinder used to spin on it's own and cause horrible misfires. The gun had to be recalled to be repaired. It was a really bad failure on Colt's part at the time. Though now, if you can get that very gun BEFORE it was repaired; it's highly collectible and worth about $15,000. It's also good to note that the gun isn't considered safe to fire in that condition which is a BIG deal to gun collectors, it's like placing value on a car that doesn't run.

The X-type may not be coveted, but Jaguar IS coveted as a British icon. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't at least worth MSRP by the time I retire. We should also hope that if Jaguar attempts AWD a second time, they will use the X designation again. After all, that singular X is just such a nice name to let go to waste. Sounds much better than S-Type or XJ. It's just X

Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disguay
I think that the xtype has the classic look and that classic look will become very collectible in the future because the new jags have ditched their old classic look. With that being said, I think the xtype could become a collectors item, yet because they were built on the ford mondeo chassis, I would say that you have better luck with a classic xj8 becoming a collectors item. The xtype will still have that classic look that will be lost in the jaguar name, but the xj8 and xjr (especially after 2004) are sort of the perfect representation of that classic jaguar look in my mind.
I think there will be a collectors market for the car just because of its history and market response. Not to mention that the 3.0 engine is currently still in use by the larger current XF, regardless if it was modified from a Ford/Mazda creation. The design is also noteworthy that it never changed much from the original design. Its Jaguar playing Jaguar in a smaller package.

The other reason why I believe that it will be a collector is because of the direction and growth in modern design Jaguar has shown in the past 4-5 years. Jags are a more sought after and desired car than its been in recent history. Its not as common as a Mercedes or Bmw. If your X-type is has the Sport trim package or Sportwagon, it will be even more rare and desired, especially if driven by the 3.0 for reasons mentioned earlier.

As some x-types die off, the remaining need to be in tip top condition, this makes the surviving rare ones more valuable. And lastly collectability starts from being desirable. Start X-type clubs and enhance your xtype or restore them-or customize em and show them off. Mines is a 2002 Jaguar X-type Sport with 20 inch wheels. When i went to a Jag dealer folks was like now thats how that car was supposed to look, lol.

Attached Thumbnails Future collectability ???-image.jpg  

Last edited by Vidsquad; 03-08-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vidsquad
......As some x-types die off, the remaining need to be in tip top condition, this makes the surviving rare ones more valuable.....

Yes I agree, and this means that the x-types from the northern half of the U.S. will corrode and rust and put them in the scrap yard at a relatively early age. It will never be practical to restore a chassis like this one. (welding, parts replacement, primer & repaint etc.)
In the U.S. market anyway, the remaining ones from the southern climate in about 15 years will probably get scooped up pretty quickly and eventually increase in value after hitting a low point. Especially if CAFE standards continue to drive automobile designs into look-alike shapes.

Tom

Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I have enjoyed reading all the responses and thoughts about the X type being collectible in the future. When it comes to issues of collect-ability I would share a couple of thoughts.

First, look at the past as this is a good indicator of what we will see in the future when it comes to collecting any marque including Jaguars. Based on the past it is unlikely you will see the X-type become collectable. What I am saying is in general high production four door sedans in almost all marque brands are not generally collectable. The exception is low production high performance variants. I would also add that even low production high performance variants will still have a limited group of potential buyers. What I am saying is people will generally purchase an older car because either it evokes something in them emotionally and or they see a pattern that would indicate regardless of any personal emotional response to a given vehicle, it shows a positive uptick in value. That being said I would venture to say that in most cases if a high production vehicle does not evoke some type of positive emotional response in most people it will most likely not see a uptick in value as time marches forward.

Second, it is ok to say I really like the X-type for any number of reasons today but that does not mean that in the future people are going to be willing to spend the money it will take to restore one back to like new condition. What I am saying is in the end if people are not willing to spend the money on a car that will be needed to say repaint or recover leather seats etc. as these items get worn and tired then how collectible will that car be in the future?

It is my opinion that many of us see the value at todays prices in a car like the X-type but that does not mean that 20, 30 or 40 years from now someone will be willing to pour money into this car. I would point out that for example a 1968 Camaro is now considered collectible but a 1968 Impala sedan is not. That does not mean that there will not always be a handful of people at any given time that would give "anything" to have a 1968 Impala sedan but "anything" might end at the market cost to repaint the car. Most sedans are produced in large numbers because the average consumer is looking for a sedan because they are easier to load the kids into etc. What usually evokes emotion is a sexy 2 door sports car or convertible and typically these cars are not produced in as high a numbers because they do not sell as well because of limited demand when new. You might end up buying the sedan now because you needed the room etc. but what you really wanted was the high performance coupe or convertible. Fast forward 20-30 years and now you have the money to buy what you want and no kids to haul around and so you are looking for the model you could not get when you were younger. There are only a few convertibles or coupes available now and a handful of people looking for one so demand drives up price.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile Wow what a neat car

Yesterday when dropping stuff off at Goodwill store the young black {20ish} man said " man is that a great looking car "
He was surprised to learn he was looking at a 2001 XJR , even more surprised at interior and engine.
So the old lady does have its young admirers

Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

Personally, I love the X type and yes it is classy and sexy at the same time imo.

As for it being collectible? I don't think that will be the case tbh, I'd still keep it and enjoy it for what it is, a beautiful Jaguar motor car.
I'm inclined to agree.
Certainly here in the UK (and mainland Europe come to that), X Types are a very common sight and as such they will be used and abused then sold on for small money, until such time it is no longer financially viable to repair them....
Over here they are a very affordable car.

Attached Thumbnails Future collectability ???-car01.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
>Im in love with the marque for no real explicable reason other than i love the aesthetics

Plus there's the thing that I like above everything else. And that is:

When ever a Jaguar arrives people NOTICE.

And you can't say that about BMWs, Audi, or Benz (although people will think that somebody pretty important is arriving when a big S Class drives up).

But really, what are the cars that people oo and ah over? I think it's a pretty short list: Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari (plus the other Italian supers) and Jaguars.

Tru dat
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Originally Posted by Graham Royls
Yesterday when dropping stuff off at Goodwill store the young black {20ish} man said " man is that a great looking car "
He was surprised to learn he was looking at a 2001 XJR , even more surprised at interior and engine.
So the old lady does have its young admirers

Therein lies the joy... I've owned many autos of prestigious brand-names in days past. Many. And in only nine months of association with our sweet 2003 X-type, I've received more positive, admiring, and yes, envy-slanted comments, than for all of those others cars combined! And no one has ever drawn reference to the "Ford" connection. Most are unaware of the fact. Generally speaking, my recent experience has been that folks respect a Jaguar for being among the very most appreciated of marques.

It seems to me that a "highly-collectable" potential for the X may not be a particularly safe bet. But even with its inherent problems, consider the significance of the high interest and activity of this sub-forum - that, for a much-maligned vehicle that has been out of production for now-five years. I've got a strong hunch that the ostracizing of the model may in fact contribute to its appeal. And I won't count its future desirability out; nor that of any Jaguar, of course.

This I do know... It's a pleasure and privilege for me to drive an X-type today. It certainly looks and feels like, and as far as I and most others are concerned, is a Jaguar. I'm very pleased that as the Mrs. and I enter a time in life of reduced means, we can afford to own it.

Last edited by timetraveler1; 11-23-2013 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ptaboy (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long live the X-type!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/405687...jaguar-x-type/

Attached Thumbnails Future collectability ???-image.jpg  
ptaboy (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleek N Subtle
there's Chevrolets out there going for $60,000-$150,000 on Mecum auto action that originally sold for $3,000-$5,000 out of the factory new..guys like Wayna Carini talk about how the number of cars sold and amount produced plays a part in the collectability as well as factory upgrades ...the x type was only made between 01-09 and not many were sold...idk im talking like 30-40 years from now....
Most of those cars had historical things going on for them or muscle car stuff....big engines, rare color combinations.

The X Type is about as collectable as a Toyota Corolla. Hate to compare them...but....it also has the Ford stigma about it. Early Jags are worth some money. These things are going cheap and getting beat to hell. I would say if I wanted to compare something similar.....about as collectable as a 2000 year on BMW 330. Tons out there. It is still a modern car, no money in it and in the future....unless you are 80 years old then, probably not going to make money on it.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

The X is a great useable /collectable a/ because , despite nay sayers , it is actually a Jag & b/ its fun , c/ repairs & diagnostics arev reasonably inexpensive. Maybe the generation who are teens at the moment , will Discover the X & edge it up towards minor classic status...

Old 03-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Maybe in 50 years if it's in good condition

Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can have my X-Type when you pry it from my cold, dead, hands!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I've learned all cars become collectible if you hold on to them long enough. Even cars from the 80's are coming back in style and becoming collectors item, such as old Toyotas and Nissans. I think cars go through phases. After the newness wears off they become passe and are looked upon as out of style. Then after that phase passes sometimes they'll either fall into the revival phase where enthusiasts pick them up and restore them or customize them. I could see this happening with the x-type. Originally it was a pretty popular little car, but as newer cars came out and the x-types started getting more miles on them, a lot of people moved on to bigger and better things, but now that many x-types can be found for well under $10,000 you have a whole new wave of people interested in having a nice smaller, newish, luxury car. Minus the problems with the transfer case and a few other mechanical things, I could see people interested in these cars for a long time. It's never going to be a Rolls Royce Phantom, but it's always going to be better than a lot of other cars out there on the road just because it's a well made and designed car, unlike a lot of the crap certain automakers shovel out there year after year.

ptaboy (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

They are attention grabbers...it isn't cookie cutter and people automatically seem to associate the leaper with "how much did it set you back?" not realizing just how much of a depreciation bath the make took.

Mine has some minor dings but the paint still stands out when clean and grabs attention...others in the office could not believe I was in it all in for less than $5K. And, even more surprisingly, a few were actually surprised when I have shown up in the XK8 instead of the X-Type, believing the X-Type to have been the more upscale of the two.

Does that equal collectible? Not likely. The uniqueness of the X-Type is something that needs the right buyer, not unlike a number of other low-production vehicles through the years. That being said, I don't expect to lose money if/when I ever go to sell or trade it (I have a habit of keeping vehicles for MANY years and MANY miles).

Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 PM

I still say too common of a car, entry level Jag, and common look to it. No difference from a BMW E46. The price is hitting rock bottom. Please.....do not take this wrong. I love my Jag for a winter car. Still has the stigma as a Ford Jag though. To me the car does not stand out at all, even with my BBS Melbourne rims. I can also say my 2006 BMW M5 does not stand out either. Difference in that car from the Jag though is a 507 NA V-10 engine and only 8,800 imported. Will that be collectable one day......maybe, but I will not own it by then or my Jag. I am sure by the time my Jag dies.......will be under 10 years and I will trade it in for a newer USED car by then. Another thing...Americans are kinda afraid of English cars....reliability issues.

This is my PERSONAL opinion, please do not get upset. I have owned cars from Porsche, Alfa, Fiat, VW, Audi, BMW and many others. One thing I can say is...if the car makes you happy, that is all that matters. Old does not make a car worth money.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I was in the market for a used car around the $10K range, I thought I'd end up in a Honda Accord or something similar, with 70K miles or so. When I found my Jag X at a used dealer, I was pretty surprised that I could afford it. The looks of it are unmistakably Jaguar, I like having a rather unique car that you don't see everywhere.

Any car that is in good to great condition and 30 to 40 years old will hold some extra value and will pique the interest of classic car buyers. If I could freeze the condition of my 2002 X as it is today, very good condition mechanically and appearance wise, and zoom up to the year 2032 and put it up for sale, I wonder how much I could get, correcting for inflation. KBB puts it at $4K today with 120K miles. However, it is worth much more than that to me personally.

Anyway, cool thread. I don't know about it becoming a collector's item, that's kind of a high bar. That said, a good running X Type is a beautiful thing!

Attached Thumbnails Future collectability ???-img_20130715_210200_zps7187fa3b.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Patterson
I was in the market for a used car around the $10K range, I thought I'd end up in a Honda Accord or something similar, with 70K miles or so. When I found my Jag X at a used dealer, I was pretty surprised that I could afford it. The looks of it are unmistakably Jaguar, I like having a rather unique car that you don't see everywhere.

Any car that is in good to great condition and 30 to 40 years old will hold some extra value and will pique the interest of classic car buyers. If I could freeze the condition of my 2002 X as it is today, very good condition mechanically and appearance wise, and zoom up to the year 2032 and put it up for sale, I wonder how much I could get, correcting for inflation. KBB puts it at $4K today with 120K miles. However, it is worth much more than that to me personally.

Anyway, cool thread. I don't know about it becoming a collector's item, that's kind of a high bar. That said, a good running X Type is a beautiful thing!
Best post of the thread. I agree 100%. I love my Jag for the price and wonderful in the snow. Looks are still modern.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I kind of doubt the X will be a collectors car, but mostly because I doubt very many cars made in the last 20 years will be. For me, I could care less. I can't believe how little I paid for a jaguar with no problems other than a minor cosmetic ones. I've also put a lot of money into mods for mine, money I know I can never get back, but I don't buy cars for investments. Every time I get in my car and drive it, it pays for itself. I think the best part of all is how many BMWs and Mercedes I see around compared to Jags, and I almost never see a modified Jag.

Oh and I love telling people how much I paid for my jag after they tell me about their car costing more than mine haha. Typically I wait to tell them until after they tell me all about how they had a friend/family member who spend a billion dollars on the jag they used to have that was always in the shop. They are almost always about an 80s jag that wasn't taken care of too ha. As if old jags are the only cars that go bad if you dont take care of them. People seem to be scared of Jags, ignorance isn't bliss.... owning a Jag is haha.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 years later

Originally Posted by Sleek N Subtle
I own a Jaguar X Type 3.0 and i love the car, i like the way it looks and handles..to me it enbodies the feeling of elegance, sexiness, classy yet sport performance....and i want to start collecting a few cars on being this jag...does anyone think these caers will ever be collectable in any way? i dont plan on selling my car and just restore it and keep looking all clean...what do u guys think?????
10 years later and I can say with a tad more certainty that the jag will become a future classic. It’s got it’s things that don’t exactly scream classic or collectible but the pre 05 models were the last to sport the classic hood mounted jaguar. I do believe as more and more people start hyping up cars to astronomical heights the x type will slip into the minds of some. They still go for upwards of 6k in “ok” condition. Plus with the dying manual market the x type 5 speed could become more coveted. However it’s not my place to say what will become a classic. As someone previously said here. Keep your car because you like it not cause of the possible value.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Mine's a "keeper"

I think that maybe in 20 to 30 years time X types will indeed become collectible due to their increasing rarity and because they still have classic Jaguar lines, and in some cases, the beautiful leaper bonnet ornament. I'm definitely keeping mine. Even if it doesn't become collectible and consequently increase in value, I will enjoy driving a truly classy, well appointed and beautiful car (in my eyes anyway). I'm sure in future it will become even more of a "head turner" than it already is, due to its beautiful styling.

Quick Reply: Future collectability ???