X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Box Fluid - To change or not to change...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Box Fluid - To change or not to change...

Hey everyone, new to the site. Also new to Jaguar, just purchased an '05 X-Type VDP (3.0 AWD). It has 117K miles, and I do not have a comprehensive maintenance history. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on changing the gear box fluid. I've been reading some posts and I understand that it's a sealed system, but some are saying that they drain and refill with new fluid.

What are your thoughts? Would you change it if you purchased this car?

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:08 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

100% YES~!

Gear Box?..Manual Transmission? or Transfer Case?, or Rear differential?...In all three cases, YES!

Where you from?

The following users liked this post:
breimler (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
100% YES~!

Gear Box?..Manual Transmission? or Transfer Case?, or Rear differential?...In all three cases, YES!

Where you from?
I'm sorry, I should've been more clear. Automatic transmission. I wasn't even thinking transfer case or rear diff. I've never had an AWD car before.

Just relocated to Spring Hill, TN. (Nashville). Originally from St. Louis, MO.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 8,074 Likes on 4,870 Posts

The gearbox is a JATCO JF506E used in VW, Land Rover, Mazda, Jaguar, Ford Mondeo and some other cars.

The filter is an internal screen so replacement is not practical. The fluid should be renewed occasionally.

Plenty of posts about the transfer case fluid and diff oil.

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF seems to be the most popular and it is one that I use for customer cars. I maintain a LOT more customer VWs with the 09A gearbox than the X-Type but there are a lot more VWs.

bob

breimler (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The gearbox is a JATCO JF506E used in VW, Land Rover, Mazda, Jaguar, Ford Mondeo and some other cars.

The filter is an internal screen so replacement is not practical. The fluid should be renewed occasionally.

Plenty of posts about the transfer case fluid and diff oil.

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF seems to be the most popular and it is one that I use for customer cars. I maintain a LOT more customer VWs with the 09A gearbox than the X-Type but there are a lot more VWs.

bob
I would refill the transfer case asap, next would be reaplacing the trans oil.
Many of us just replace 3qts of trans oil 3 times.
When u open the trans drain plug, only 3 qts will drain (assuming the level was correct)
So replace plug and pour in 3 qts of trans oil... Do this 3 times over a week.
To refill the transfer case, one side of the car has to be jacked up pretty high (search thermo's posts for actual height)
It only takes a tiny amount of oil (again search thermo) i forget how much. When you drain the transfer case, dont expect much oil to come out

breimler (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

21 inches one way to drain, then 21 inches the other way to fill the transfer case

UK amounts are 600ml of gear oil for the transfer case and the rear diff is 1200ml

If it were me, transfer case, rear diff and then gearbox

breimler (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

You must use a synthetic Lube..I used Royal Purple, 75w140...is the correct weight.

breimler (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 07:27 AM

Thank you all for the replies so far! This is all very helpful.

Has anyone added Lucas Oil products into the mix for transmission, differential or transfer case? I've heard good things about their products, but I'm not 100% sure on the proper applications.

Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:43 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

I never used Lucas stuff..

I mention royal purple as it has a certain quality that helps repair or heal metal scaring. I'm sure it is at a molecular level..but none of the other Lubes claim to have this property...I don't think adding any additive will gain anything.

Synerlec®

Royal Purple’s proprietary, Synerlec additive lubricant technology is the cornerstone of the product line. Synerlec creates an ionic bond that adheres to metal parts to provide continuous protection even at start-up. This ionic bond keeps a lubricating film on the surface of metal long after ordinary lubricants would have been squeezed out by pressure and heat. Additionally, Synerlec-enhanced lubricants actually improve metal surfaces by responding to increased pressure with increased viscosity until the metal peaks (asperities) undergo deformation and flow into the low spots. Over time, the metal surface becomes extremely smooth and can even develop a mirror-like surface. Synerlec also increases the useful life of the oil with it oxidation resistance.

breimler (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I use the Lucas trans conditioner, and it seems to make the shifts a little crisper. I have always used it in all my cars, and haven't had any trouble yet. As expensive as a trans is to replace, I leave no rock unturned.....Good Luck.....Mike

breimler (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by mrplow58
I use the Lucas trans conditioner, and it seems to make the shifts a little crisper. I have always used it in all my cars, and haven't had any trouble yet. As expensive as a trans is to replace, I leave no rock unturned.....Good Luck.....Mike
mrplow58,

What did you pair the Lucas product with? Did you follow the Lucas instructions and actually go '1 bottle overfill'?

Thank you!

Old 02-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by breimler
mrplow58,

What did you pair the Lucas product with? Did you follow the Lucas instructions and actually go '1 bottle overfill'?

Thank you!

I paired it up with Castrol Multi Import Transmission fluid. I did the overfill, because I figured the additional would vent out after awhile. I didn't overfill as much in the X Type, because the trans is smaller than the XK8.......My 2 cents....Mike

Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 AM

If the box is overfilled, where is the vent?

Is overfilling and letting it run out the vent, as good a way as any of getting the level correct?

Last edited by santer; 02-17-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by santer
If the box is overfilled, where is the vent?

Is overfilling and letting it run out the vent, as good a way as any of getting the level correct?
Letting excess "vent" is not necessary.
Once the drain plug is removed and no more oil is coming out, replace the plug and pour in 3 qts through the fill plug under the battery. This will ensure the correct level.
Do you really want vented oil all over the underside of the car which may lead to you thinking there is an oil leak somewhere?

Old 02-18-2016, 04:01 AM

Some fluid was removed to make room for an additive and just wanted to check the level was correct, without needing to have a garage do it

Old 02-18-2016, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by santer
Some fluid was removed to make room for an additive and just wanted to check the level was correct, without needing to have a garage do it
The actual "correct" way of checking the level is pretty weird from what i remember.
Perhaps someone can remind us of how its done.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
100% YES~!

Where you from?
Automatic need transfor case

Old 02-21-2016, 11:40 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Yes..The X-Type USA versions as far as I know, were all AWD and they had a Transfer Case.

Hey Jim..I knew a James King in Bay City/Munger area of Michigan when I was a kid..any chance that was you?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Received 8,074 Likes on 4,870 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
The actual "correct" way of checking the level is pretty weird from what i remember.
Perhaps someone can remind us of how its done.
Checking fluid level is not WEIRD, it is the way most cars I work on are checked. The car needs to be LEVEL and the fluid needs to be at a certain TEMP.

The level is then checked just like a manual trans or DIFF in that the fluid will 'dribble-out' of the level hole when it is at the correct level.

Dipsticks are basically a waste of money. Almost NOBODY even opens the bonnet of the car to do ANYTHING. People don't even change a tire if it goes flat. Call a wrecker and off to the repair center for ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

I changed oil in a friends Mercedes and there is NO engine oil dipstick. You pour in the correct amount of oil and then you push some buttons on the steering wheel to see if the level is OK.

DIY is a dying art!!!

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 02-21-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Checking fluid level is not WEIRD, it is the way most cars I work on are checked. The car needs to be LEVEL and the fluid needs to be at a certain TEMP.

The level is then checked just like a manual trans or DIFF in that the fluid will 'dribble-out' of the level hole when it is at the correct level.

Dipsticks are basically a waste of money. Almost NOBODY even opens the bonnet of the car to do ANYTHING. People don't even change a tire if it goes flat. Call a wrecker and off to the repair center for ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

I changed oil in a friends Mercedes and there is NO engine oil dipstick. You pour in the correct amount of oil and then you push some buttons on the steering wheel to see if the level is OK.

DIY is a dying art!!!

bob
Dipsticks are awesome... As long as one knows the correct way to use them... Opening plugs and having oil dribble out while under the car with the engine running is kinda redneck idea, but for some reason thats what we have.
I prefer the "common" method i suggested

DPK (02-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Gear Box Fluid - To change or not to change...