X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear drops out

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014 | 04:50 PM
|
Default Gear drops out

2002 X-Type automatic with 96k miles drops out of gear with no noise, no clang or bag, no vibration. It does this on rapid acceleration, but if you lift your foot and gently re-apply the accelerator once the revs fall off it picks the gear back up and runs fine. It can do this for every gear on the full automatic side, and on the SHIFT side it really only seems to impact between 4th and 5th gear changes. It drives lovely with no sound and the shifts that hold are flat smooth as glass. Could we have lost some tranny fluid? internal pump pressure? It is electrical? Perhaps a computer problem? As stupid as this is going to sound, I simply don't know how to explain it any better. When the car goes to shift the engine revs and the gear simply fails to engage, but the loss of the gear or the failure of the gear to engage just doesn't sound or feel mechanical. Let the revs fall and the gear then engages properly and you proceed along your way. Any help, tests, or suggestions would be nice. I'd sure like to find a solution or at least be confident of the problem before I seek out professional help. Unfortunately, I don't know a reputable jag or transmission mechanic that I fully trust. I love this car and would like to cure its ills. Thanks

Old 05-09-2014 | 05:02 PM
GGG

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center to X-Type forum. The Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center is for posts about the forum and NOT for technical questions.

Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
akejama (05-13-2014)
Old 05-10-2014 | 06:55 AM
|

Well it doesn't seem to matter where it is? No replies is still no replies. I'll remove it as soon as I figure out how, or you can. Have a great day!

Old 05-10-2014 | 08:22 AM

No need to remove it - I am sure one of the techs will be along to offer guidance

Old 05-10-2014 | 08:27 AM

I'd start by checking the fluid level, after that maybe do a fluid change as it could be something in your valve body gummed up and sticking.

If that's not the problem you may have a torque converter that's on it's way out.

Old 05-10-2014 | 11:09 AM
|

With the engine running and somewhere close to the 105 temp when I crack open the hex head test port the fluid keeps coming out. I shut it back off when it got to a pint. This is not right according to all I am reading. What's your take on it?

Old 05-10-2014 | 03:13 PM

Are you following the instructions in this post to check fluid level?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ure-faq-43649/

Old 05-10-2014 | 06:45 PM

I have repaired 3 auto transmissions, but I can only suggest to find transmission manual and read it.
Any codes? Check transmission fluid level and pressure. Is color of fluid OK?

akejama (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014 | 07:40 AM
|

The fluid is very clear with a slight amber tint, has no pungent odor, and I feel no particulate in it. I have not done any other recent maintenance to this car other than change the cabin air filter. When it acts up I do get a yellow light and a "gear box" note, but if I stop the car and restart it the light goes away and seemingly so does the problem because I'm able to drive without dropping a gear for some time. Most perplexing. I did follow the procedure to test for proper filling and I'm finding that the fluid just keeps coming and coming out of the test port. My thinking is that might mean something is clogged causing more fluid to be in the tank. I don't know, lost on this one. You think maybe I should drain the tank and measure the volume I get out?

Old 05-11-2014 | 12:24 PM

If you've had it for a long time and know it wasn't overfilled it may be trans-axle fluid leaking into the trans.

If you recently purchased it, it may have been overfilled.

Either way, if it were me, I'd drain it and fill it to the correct level first and then go from there.

Good luck!

akejama (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014 | 10:18 AM
|

I agree with draining her transmission fluid. If I read correctly I should get something around 3.5 qts. out of her. I'll try to measure the fluid and see what I get. Maybe it will mean something to someone at some point. I'm replacing the fluid with the Castrol product indicated in one of the threads here about transmission fluid replacement. I guess the game is to replace the fluid about 3 times over a few weeks to get something of a almost total changeover.

Old 05-12-2014 | 04:07 PM
|

Originally Posted by ltmax
If you've had it for a long time and know it wasn't overfilled it may be trans-axle fluid leaking into the trans.

If you recently purchased it, it may have been overfilled.

Either way, if it were me, I'd drain it and fill it to the correct level first and then go from there.

Good luck!

Drained out 3.2 Liters of fluid which appeared quite brown with a pungent odor. Interesting that 1.1 Liters came out of the test port, then I cracked the main drain and got 2 more liters out of it. I didn't expect to get anything out of the test port. We refilled with 2.5 liters and drove it and there was an audible whine so we added the other .5 liters and the whine ceased and the gears shifted as they should until we tried to rapid accelerate both in passing gear and from a standing start. When accelerating much beyond the normal operating effort the gear would drop out. Remove foot off gas pedal and the gear would re-engage and continue on perfectly. When refilling oil began coming out of the test port on the first liter, but the engine wasn't running so I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess you can only use the test port scenario to check for over-filling with the engine running. Anyhow that is where I'm at now. No idea where to go next except to a dealership. I did read somewhere that the shifter itself might be involved so I'll see what I can find on that. thanks for the help. Still Lost in Space.

Old 05-12-2014 | 04:56 PM

You absolutely need to have the engine running and at least partially warmed up to check the fluid level accurately. The plug is pretty easy to get to even with the car sitting on the ground so checking fluid that way shouldn't be that difficult.

It sounds like your problem didn't get any better so you might have something more difficult than just a fluid change.

These transmissions are notorious for the reverse high clutch drum piston cracking and causing problems. Good news is you can get to it from the left side of the engine with the trans still in the car. If your problem persists, you may want to look at that next.

akejama (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014 | 09:25 PM
|

You absolutely need to have the engine running and at least partially warmed up to check the fluid level accurately. The plug is pretty easy to get to even with the car sitting on the ground so checking fluid that way shouldn't be that difficult.

It sounds like your problem didn't get any better so you might have something more difficult than just a fluid change.

These transmissions are notorious for the reverse high clutch drum piston cracking and causing problems. Good news is you can get to it from the left side of the engine with the trans still in the car. If your problem persists, you may want to look at that next.

Is there somewhere to go to look for the protocol or directions for getting at the High clutch drum piston ? I agree with you that while the fluid change did no harm, the problem is most likely mechanical. Is this repair something I might attempt or is this best done in a professional shop? I don't mind getting dirty and I have a 4 post lift and full compliment of metric tools at my disposal, but no special tools for Jaguars should any be required. thanks again for your time and effort in helping me find a solution.

Old 05-13-2014 | 06:08 AM

I found some really good info on the Mazda MPV forum, they have the exact same model transmission and there are some good informative posts that show what parts are needed and how to do it.

Unfortunately when I attemped to fix mine last month, I had more problems than the bad reverse/high clutch piston but didn't find that out until after I fixed that problem. (my piston was bad though)

Lowering the left side of the transmission and removing the left side cover was pretty simple and didn't require any special tools. Parts for the repair were only about $150 and if you're brave it's something you could attempt on your own.

akejama (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014 | 09:07 AM
|

I found some really good info on the Mazda MPV forum, they have the exact same model transmission and there are some good informative posts that show what parts are needed and how to do it.

Unfortunately when I attemped to fix mine last month, I had more problems than the bad reverse/high clutch piston but didn't find that out until after I fixed that problem. (my piston was bad though)

Lowering the left side of the transmission and removing the left side cover was pretty simple and didn't require any special tools. Parts for the repair were only about $150 and if you're brave it's something you could attempt on your own.

Obviously this is something that will take me some time to prepare for and accomplish. I most surely will let you know how we come out, and I thank you most sincerely for you time and effort to point me in a direction that may possibly fix our problem. And, if not, then we've done the best we can do in terms of eliminating potential problems. That is all I can ask and I will come back here to find you if I get stuck and think you might be able to push me in the right direction again. I most surely will stay in touch as we proceed. Godspeed. It may be a while but I shall return. Thanks, Tom