X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Fault

Hey guys, since last posting on here I ran into yet ANOTHER issue with my 2002 X Type. I had drove it New Year’s Eve to a particular place with no issues. Everything driving perfectly, shifting perfectly. When I left the place I was at I started the car up and when I pulled away, it shifted hard. At that time there were no warning lights. On the way home the gearbox fault light came on, I had that issue before, and I shut the car down and started it back up in the fault was gone but the car was still a little hard and intermittently I’d get that “lurch” feeling, like the car was accelerating without me, even pushing on the gas. The rev went up pretty high, but it never lasted long. The very next morning I replaced that connection that goes into the throttlebody on the right side, opposite the throttle position, switch, if you’re looking at the car from the front. This seemed to be a little improvement, as the car once again ran and shifted smoothly with no issues, but always going back to slight hard shift, then back to shifting fine. Since it would work fine, and then not work fine, and then work fine again, I was pretty sure that my issue is most definitely electrical and not with the transmission itself. I had bought a new throttle position sensor and decided to put that on. When I did and started the car up, I had read warning, engine systems fault, gearbox fault, no cruise control and the car stayed running at a super high rev. If I put it from Park into gear, it sounded like somebody was smashing the transmission with a sledgehammer. At first, I thought the sensor I bought was no good. So I took it back off and put on the old one. I quickly realized that I just needed to reset the ECM, which I did by pulling the fuse. Once I did that and started the car, all the faults were gone.. I did a little adjustment on the tps and everything seemed good. Now I get the gearbox fault again in the car. Stays in limp mode…now I really could use some help. Thank you in advance