X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault Continued

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gearbox Fault Continued

So, I recently posted about a gearbox fault that I believed was a faulty shift lever/J-gate. I went ahead and bought one of ebay-- did the exact same thing. What could this mean? I have reverse.. I have neutral.. It doesn't want to shift into park (although playing around with it in the gate will eventually get it to light up the P, and when you shift into drive, you hear the car kinda adjust, but doesn't drop into drive, but if you jiggle it and play with it and move it from side to side, or rattle it, eventually it'll slam into gear and roll forward; however if you try to drive that way, once you hit a simple bump, dip, pothole, come off the highway, take off from a stop, it slips almost as if it was in neutral and then powershifted to drive... Could it be as simple just adjusting the shifter cable? I assumed it was an electrical issue, because I was told the shifter was one big electrical unit, but that didn't do anything.. I don't have any transmission codes either! I don't get it-- I am so confused. Everything else on this car has been pretty self explanatory... pretty simple but I am so stumped. I love the car to death, but it's coming to the point where bills are piling and piling and I havent had a car to drive in nearly 3 months. Please anyone help.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:32 PM

Also, when shifting from R to D, sometimes it just will stay in neutral until you wiggle the shifter between D and 4.. sometimes it doesn't shift back out of N at all, other times it remains in reverse even when you push it back up through reverse to park.. but before when I was able to shift into gears, it would shift through just fine, no hard shifts, no nothing (besides the occasional lunge or slip from lugging) which leads me to think that the transmission is indeed fine. Once you rotate the shift stick in the P notch, eventually it'll shift back into park.. I am so stumped. And how do you adjust the cable? From the interior of the car or from outside from the underneath the vehicle? (trans fluid isnt bad at all)

Old 08-27-2021, 09:52 PM
Unhappy

Additionally, inspected the carpeting near the TCM and no dampness at all, weather seal is missing on drivers side windshield up the A pillar, but haven't traced any water to it. Seems completely dry with nearly no since of corrosion.. the car only has 112k on it.. I am dumbfounded.