Going to test drive an 07 - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
Hey thanks for the advice.

I'm going to check this car out tomorrow:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=351352854

Anything else that I should keep in mind?

Could it be possible to negotiate an ACM install, wheel locks, and window tint included in a dealer offer?
Car looks nice.. Remember since its a 06 the select warranty ends in 2012. See if they will throw in a 1 or 2 year powertrain warranty after the select warranty ends.

Otherwise there has to be room for negotiation in that price. You can find an 07 with lower miles for the same price as that 06.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete04xtype
Otherwise there has to be room for negotiation in that price. You can find an 07 with lower miles for the same price as that 06.
Well, it is an 06 VDP...I don't know how much wiggle room they'll give me.

Do you think I could talk them down to $18,000? Could I ask them to include a ACM install in the price?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you think I could talk them down to $18,000? Could I ask them to include a ACM install in the price?

Guys how do you determine that its a VDP version??

Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by SEBZX79
Guys how do you determine that its a VDP version??
Well, did you click on that last link I posted and look at the pictures?

It actually says "VDP" on the back. The VDP trim ended in 2006.

It stands out visually by having the premium leather w/ piping, walnut wood, Alpine sound, and navigation.

Here's the link again:http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?paId=351352854

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 07-09-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:58 AM

I would deff haggle with them.. The car is 4 yrs old/5 model yrs old since 2011's are rolling out now. The car is also a discountinued model which I am sure they would love to move off the lot.

I would say $17,000-$18,000 is a fair price for it.. Just dont be afraid to walk away if the deal is not what you like.

A few weeks back I was going to trade my 2.5 X in for a 3.0 X that was pretty much loaded besides navi. 35k miles, uber clean, zercon blue w/ivory leather. I got the car down to $14g's and change with a FULL 3 yr warranty included. This is from a Jaguar dealer but it fell through as I was about to pay for it. They decided to jerk me on my current X trade, so I gathered my checks and walked out. Otherwise if it went as planned I would be driving a 3.0 automatic X-Type now..

Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my 2-cents on a 2007 X-Type: LOVE IT. Bought mine new in Dec 2006. Sportwagon model - handles a little differently than the sedan, so the car magazines reported at the time. Has enough get-up-and-go for me and the cornering is sure-footed with no discernible roll. 64,000 miles later, I still enjoy it as much as the first time behind the wheel. I think it would be a safe buy but play hard-to-get. X-Types are no longer in print.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM

So, I talked to them about the select warranty and they said that it would have to be added to the pricee for like $2100 or something...After that, I was ready to give up.

I'm not the greatest haggler, but it really seems like they won't be willing to work much with me in negotiating the price, especially as it seems that 10 people are also interested in the car too--they'll most likely sell it to some poor schmuck that'll pay full price.

I really wish I could get it all and the select warranty for $19k even. I told them I would give them a week to think about it.

Pics:

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 07-10-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:21 AM

The select warranty should be in the price of the car.. I did not pay extra for the select on my X.. If the car is being sold at a Jaguar dealer then its certified and comes with the warranty..

I would call them back and speak to the manager or someone else. There is no reason you should be paying extra for a warranty since you are getting the car from Jaguar.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 AM

And if 10 people are interested in it, the car would have been sold already.. They are just BS'n you and pressuring you into buying the car..

Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I don't wanna hassle you into buying that X Type but the interior is great .Nav and black leather combination is just outstanding .

Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You're getting a chance at a pretty rare car - x type w/ VDP trimmings went for around $38K (when I got mine in early 2007). At least as I recall it. It was a good $6k over the standard model.

I bought mine from a Jag dealer and helped a friend buy one as well. Mainly because the dealer will prep the car well and you can get them to fix things right. Of course, I work and live right next to one of the great jag dealers in the East Coast

The 'only' downside to this car is the miles, but interestingly your color was my first choice. I ended up with the gold and beige/mocha interior since a silver/black wasn't available AND the price on it ( if the dealer procured it for me would have been higher).

I think you're getting a good deal. I was lucky to get the ACM. It's a useful feature. I ended up with a car that had 18 inch wheels + ACM + CD Changer instead of the navi for around the same price as I would have for a navi without those features. But the navi probably makes this car worth more than the accessories I added.

I am a little surprised the dealer isn't selling it certified, but even without this car looks like a good deal. I am sure you can get it down to $18.5 all in (including tax, title etc).

Good luck.

My jag x type is definitely one of my favorite cars. We now have an 07 X Type and an 10 XF and the X Type in my opinion looks nicer and is at least as much fun to drive.

You did mention something about the audio. The Alpine on the x type doesn't have a real sub. Just 6 speakers + 4 tweeters. The sound is very crisp but not booming. I added a product called dynamat to my doors and rear shelf. It made the sound slightly more 'thumpy'. It's an easy install at a professional car audio shop. I get it done for all my cars (except the XF so far). So if you're real picky you can do that....

While I am on the ACM thing. Remember if you own an iPhone. You can use the iPhone for Pandora or XM in addition to the iPod and route the audio through the ACM. The aux input on the ACM is a high quality dedicated L-R channel jack. I now have an iPod permanently connected to the iPod connector on ACM and use the aux with my iPhone. I'd add the ACM if I were you

Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I think the key here is to be prepared to walk away if you aren't comfortable and try to keep the emotional aspect to a minimum. Remember, the salesman is not your friend, but not necessarily your enemy either. He is working for the dealer and not you, so take whatever comes out of his mouth with a grain of salt. He does this every day and you do it only occasionally. That's why it's important to do as much research on what you want to buy ahead of time so you know as much about that type of car as you can so you have a good idea just how far you can push things as far as price. Anything is negotiable, but don't be unrealistic either. If you are buying this car because you WANT to and not because you HAVE to (like an accident on your current car, etc.) will put you in a stronger position. That way if you don't get this car you can wait until find another. This model/color/options might be somewhat rare, but if you found one you can find another. Be respectful, calm and patient, yet be firm so they understand that can't wear you down. Get them to understand you DO want the car, but you have limits, yet want to work with them to find a way to make the deal work for both of you. And get everything they say they will do IN WRITING. Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:00 AM

^^^^^ Alfa sums it up right there.. And for the dealer not wanting to move that car off the lot is beyond me!!! If they were a good dealer they would have done everything in their power to get you into that car and move it off the lot. And again that car should come certified with a warranty, not you paying extra for it..

And dont forget to check the carfax..

Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by cadillac
I don't wanna hassle you into buying that X Type but the interior is great .Nav and black leather combination is just outstanding .
I agree. The look is fantastic.....I was a little disappointed in the Alpine radio though...Hmmm...

Old 07-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by aluni2230
You're getting a chance at a pretty rare car - x type w/ VDP trimmings went for around $38K (when I got mine in early 2007). At least as I recall it. It was a good $6k over the standard model.

I bought mine from a Jag dealer and helped a friend buy one as well. Mainly because the dealer will prep the car well and you can get them to fix things right. Of course, I work and live right next to one of the great jag dealers in the East Coast
"fix things right"--what things do you mean?

The 'only' downside to this car is the miles, but interestingly your color was my first choice. I ended up with the gold and beige/mocha interior since a silver/black wasn't available AND the price on it ( if the dealer procured it for me would have been higher).
I actually prefer that interior--I like the contrast in the light and dark tones and it probably keeps the car cooler during the summer time. I found a similar VDP about 2 hours away for $1000 cheaper with that interior:

I think you're getting a good deal. I was lucky to get the ACM.

I am sure you can get it down to $18.5 all in (including tax, title etc).
You got ACM install included in the price? Any tips on haggling/convincing the dealer down to such an offer?

I added a product called dynamat to my doors and rear shelf. It made the sound slightly more 'thumpy'. It's an easy install at a professional car audio shop. I get it done for all my cars (except the XF so far). So if you're real picky you can do that....
Oh, I listen to my radio constantly, so, that sounds like something that I'll definitely need to check out.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pete04xtype
^^^^^ Alfa sums it up right there.. And for the dealer not wanting to move that car off the lot is beyond me!!! If they were a good dealer they would have done everything in their power to get you into that car and move it off the lot. And again that car should come certified with a warranty, not you paying extra for it..

And dont forget to check the carfax..
Yeah, the guy really didn't really seem to try and pressure me into buying the car at all. He was just all about, "do you have any questions?" all the time. He really was letting me dictate the conversation. I would've hoped he tried more to persuade me a little more...I did to throw out the idea of adding in the warranty into the price.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I think the key here is to be prepared to walk away if you aren't comfortable and try to keep the emotional aspect to a minimum. Remember, the salesman is not your friend, but not necessarily your enemy either. He is working for the dealer and not you, so take whatever comes out of his mouth with a grain of salt. He does this every day and you do it only occasionally. That's why it's important to do as much research on what you want to buy ahead of time so you know as much about that type of car as you can so you have a good idea just how far you can push things as far as price.
Yeah--that's another reason why I'm here on this forum--to get you guys' advice and suggestions...A month ago, I knew practically nothing about Jaguars.

Anything is negotiable, but don't be unrealistic either. If you are buying this car because you WANT to and not because you HAVE to (like an accident on your current car, etc.) will put you in a stronger position. That way if you don't get this car you can wait until find another. This model/color/options might be somewhat rare, but if you found one you can find another. Be respectful, calm and patient, yet be firm so they understand that can't wear you down. Get them to understand you DO want the car, but you have limits, yet want to work with them to find a way to make the deal work for both of you. And get everything they say they will do IN WRITING. Good luck and tell us how it goes.
Yeah, but like everyone knows..VDP's don't grow on trees. For X-Type VDP's under $20k, I doubt that there are more than 10 in the entire country. Even finding a similar 2007/2008 X-Type with similar features is hard to find. There was a 07 X-Type a few miles from here being sold with the luxury package and Alpine audio (no Nav) for $17,995. The day before I was about to schedule a test drive, it was sold..

So who knows how long it'll be between I find another one...

Next week I'm gonna call and get more details about a warranty and see if they can squeeze it all in with tax and title for under $19k. I'm not looking to pay more than $20k..

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 07-10-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good info,
it looks that you are the right person to ask about my steering wheel issue, since you've driven enough

I own an X type 3.0 and all is ok at the moment after I have put 7, 000 miles in it since I got it in January this year.

My question is that my jag has new brake rotors and brake pads, and all new tires but my steering wheel goes slighly to the right when i use my brakes suddenly, I want to add that the car does not go to the right while this is happening only the steering wheel moves and is not always.

any advise??

Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by rf69
Good info,
it looks that you are the right person to ask about my steering wheel issue, since you've driven enough

I own an X type 3.0 and all is ok at the moment after I have put 7, 000 miles in it since I got it in January this year.

My question is that my jag has new brake rotors and brake pads, and all new tires but my steering wheel goes slighly to the right when i use my brakes suddenly, I want to add that the car does not go to the right while this is happening only the steering wheel moves and is not always.

any advise??
I would say check the front end/right side. Seems like there is something wrong up there. Had something similar yrs back with my Lincoln Mk vIII and it was a slightly bent control arm I think.. It made it pull to the right on braking and I had all new brakes, tires, alignment.

Have your mechanic check it out..

Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 AM

lol. My thread got hijacked..

Quick Reply: Going to test drive an 07 - a few questions