X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grounded...!for who knows how long?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Grounded...!for who knows how long?

i recently tried to fix the melted pigtail problem on my X by doing the dual spade connector deal.I still could not get it to work..I.m sure it's the ground.I am putting in a set of hid's soon ,but of course they wont work with no ground..Yes im a noob,but was wondering how do i run a new ground wire..Do i just find wire of appropriate guage and go from the ground point on back of bulb and connect it to the frame?..and where might i connect it to the frame..I have no low beams at night and my hid's arnet here from china yet lol.that being said dont want the boy's in blue pulling me over.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Irish, get yourself a piece of wire (16 gauge) and put the spade connector on one end and a ring lug on the other. If you look under the headlight assembly, there should be a bolt or two there that will make for a good ground at the moment. Granted, if your front turn signals are working, then the ground wire from the headlight assembly is good. Which would then lead me to believe you have a problem between the headlight bulb and the common ground point inside the headlight assembly.

If you need me to help you out with anything more, let me know.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I believe the turn signals are working..can i still run a new ground the way you stated...Now im lost.Would ya explain that last bit in slow irish english lol

Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Irish, all the bulbs in the headlights have 2 wires going to them. You have a power wire and a ground wire. For obvious reasons, each of the power wires come from different places. But all the ground wires go to a common point inside the headlight assembly, meet up and then a single wire leaves the headlight assembly to go to chassis ground. In your case, if you have power for the low beams (prove by seeing 12 VDC when the headlights are turned on on either wire with the assumption that your ground wire is bad), it can't flow between the ground post of the headlight bulb and the connection point where all the grounds meet up. By adding a new wire from the ground side of the headlight bulb to chassis ground, you are bypassing the common connection. You would need to pull the headlight assembly out of the car, but if you look on the inside, you will see where a wire from each bulb will meet up at 1 point. This is your ground side. If you felt ambitious, you could simply replace the ground wire going from the low beam to that common connection point. But, that is a lot of work inside of an enclosed space and can test your patience.

If needed, I will post the diagram for the headlights and that will show you what I am talking about also, but in a picture format.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Ok ..might take ya up on those pic's..It makes sence in my head..but those would help.I will have the headlight assembly out for the hid's,but have no voltage metre.My plan was to cut the ground wire coming from back of bulb and just add a new piece going to the frame..but the last thing i need to do is set the car park on fire..lol thanx mandingo