X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R Lowering Spring Install*

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default H&R Lowering Spring Install*

Hello everyone, I've been an X-type owner for almost 5 years now & I finally jumped the gun on purchasing a lowering kit for my X-type. I have some experience lowering cars back in my Honda days but I've never attempted to install lowering springs on a luxury vehicle. Is it as straight forward as I think it is? Or is there hidden techniques I should know before I undergo this project? Also, what are the torque specs when putting it back together? I just want to make sure I do this properly. Any help is appreciated. Thanks & mahalo from Hawaii!

Pictures will be up after the install.

The following users liked this post:
unclefish (09-28-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

howzit, whats your email. I can send you intstructions.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

here you go

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
xtype front springs.pdf (404.1 KB, 815 views)
File Type: pdf
xtype rear springs.pdf (108.3 KB, 427 views)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sir2
here you go
Thank you!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Is all that really needed for the front springs? Those instructions kind of lost me. I am assuming I would need to acquire a torque wrench and spring compressors? Can the rest be done with regular tools and a floor jack?

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-05-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 PM

I am assuming I would need to acquire a torque wrench and spring compressors? I forgot about the torque wrench. I know I can borrow a spring compressor from the parts store (and I think a torque wrench... I used to have one...) Can the rest be done with regular tools and a floor jack/jack stands? The front sounds way more complicated than the back. Is it hard? Do the brakes have to come off? It mentions a couple other special tools I've never heard of, but I haven't heard anyone else talk about needing them.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-05-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

04xtype04, if you can change out the front coil springs, you can install the lowering springs. Not much to them. To the best of my knowledge, all you need is some basic garage tools, jack, jackstands, and having a torque wrench would be nice, but not a necessity as long as you make sure the bolts are nice and tight. The only "hard" thing is getting the 32mm socket in place as you hold the front tires still. But ,that is easily overcome by simply jacking up the front wheel, getting the center cap off, then lowering the tire back down on the ground to use the weight of the car to hold the wheel in place.

The other tidbit that will help is making sure that you do both tires at the same end of the car at the same time. If you start twisting up the sway bars, it can make getting things moved around a bit difficult.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 AM

Ok good advice... So do both sides before you lower it down on the wheels? I wouldn't have thought to do that. I am a little confused what 32mm socket you are referring to and where it is located? Is it behind the center cap? I would feel safer with a torque wrench knowing nothing was going to rattle loose. I should get one again anyway since I like to work on cars. The directions for the front springs just kind of baffled me. It calls for a couple tools I've never heard of and mentions removing the brakes which I wasn't planning on doing. Maybe it would make more sense if I had it there in front of me. Also I'm guessing it might need an alignment afterwards.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-06-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 AM

Maybe should have tackled the mesh grill insert before jumping to lowering springs

Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Removing springs is dangerous, if you dont understand how to properly remove them dont even try. They, especially the fronts, are under a lot of pressure and knowing how to clamp them down and take them out safely is vital. You can do major damage to your car or be seriously injured or even killed. That being said, if you so have the knowledge tools and skills to do it, its not that hard. I installed my coilovers with a jack and stands, basic tools and a spring compressor rented from AutoZone. The rears are super easy, but the fronts are more involved. Removing the shock and spring assembly is probably the hardest part. I would suggest to you that you wait on doing springs until you can also afford to buy new shocks to install at the same time, it will save you a lot of work in the front end. Like you said, do easier and cheaper mods first.

The following users liked this post:
04xtype04 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Ok thanks for the advice. Well, I'm not incompetent. I have replaced struts and shocks before on a Land Rover (didn't have to remove the springs though) and I'm pretty good mechanically with working on cars. I did my spark plugs and changed my fluids myself. I've been watching some videos on strut replacement and lowering spring installations. I understand they are under a lot of pressure and you need the spring compressor tool whenever you disassemble the struts. I definitely think it is something I am capable of. It's kind of a big project but it will be good experience and I will be proud of myself if I can do it myself. Basically I am wondering if the X-type front suspension is like most other cars. Did you need to remove the calipers or anything? I know you have to disconnect the brake sensor wire, but can you just give me a quick walk-through? I can't find any videos or how-to's online on the x-type suspension. I did find a youtube video on a Jaguar front air ride shock, and the removal process looked pretty basic like a typical car. As for shocks, I honestly can't afford a new set of Bilsteins right now as much as I'd like them. My current shocks are decent. They are probably getting up there in age but if I could get another couple years out of them and change them when I really needed to that would be better for me. Plus if I can figure out how to change the springs I can do the shocks when I am ready. I just need to know if there is anything tricky to the front struts as far as unbolting them. Do I need to pound anything out with a hammer or will it all unbolt and loosen up smoothly? Can you leave the brakes and rotors on?

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-06-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM

Try to find a video of a focus, the front suspension is about 90% the same as the X. Rear suspension too. I did mine over a year ago so I dont exactly remember everything I had to do. I do remember the front being a pain in the ***.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:04 AM

Ok cool, I will look for that. I am psyched... I think I can do it. I watched a bunch of lowering spring videos and I am a lot more confident now that I can install them. Do you think I would need an alignment for sure afterwards or should I see how it handles first?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:40 AM

Did you use hand tools or an air gun? It looks like some of the steps would be much simpler with an air gun but I don't have one.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM

No I didn't. I almost never use air tools. Yes you will need an alignment, all 4 wheels. Getting the front struts out is the biggest pain in the ***, and really that's the biggest reason I suggest getting shocks the same time you get springs. Every single thing you have to do to the front to get the lowering springs on you will have to do to replace the shocks. That and lowing springs are shorter and stiffer than stock springs and they will put added stress on the stock shocks and wear them out faster. they might last a few years, but then they might not.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM

I know, I am really making twice as much work for myself when I want to replace the shocks, but I already made the plunge on getting the springs and I think it will be cool. I guess it means I have to get another alignment done when I get shocks, but I guess those things go out after a bit anyways and need to be adjusted. An alignment will probably help out anyway. I read that half the cars on the road are out of alignment. I picked up a little 2 ton jack. I've been wanting a jack and this one was on sale and should be good for most of my needs. The maximum height is only 13" though. I am wondering if that will be enough clearance to work on the struts? I also got a set of jackstands too. I wanted to get the 3 ton jack but it was like twice the price. I also got a 1/2" torque wrench too. Wasn't sure if I really needed one but I figure for the suspension and wheels you want to know they aren't going to fall off.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-07-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 PM

At first I bought a 4 ton bottle jack, because it was light and inexpensive, but It was about 6" tall and BARELY fit under my side panels at stock height. Since that is going to be about an inch lower when I install the new springs, the bottle jack was not going to work so I exchanged it for the little trolley floor jack. I could have borrowed someone's jack but I just wanted my own to have around whenever I want to work under the car.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-07-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:30 AM

Ok after thinking about what you said, I have noticed my front struts squeak over speed bumps and there is this bump in the road that I've always noticed the front of the car seems to hit really hard. At the time I wasn't thinking worn out shocks because I had no intention of buying new ones when the old ones for the most part work fine. But now that I think about it, the front ones do feel like they are going out or might be blown already. Since the front struts are the hardest to replace and that is mostly my problem area I think I am going to get new front struts and install them with the lowering springs. The rears will have to wait. The good thing is that they are a lot easier to replace than the fronts and I can do that down the line when I start to notice the backs need to be replaced. Maybe cutting corners by not doing all 4 at once but the rears would mean an extra $200 to an already expensive project. For now I think I would be happy just getting new struts in the front and not having to worry about taking them out again in 6 months when the squeaking and bumps really start to bug me.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Bought new front struts on ebay. Should be here in a few days. Thought about getting the back shocks too but just can't afford it right now. Lucky to be getting front struts. I bet it's going to handle so good...

Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

My X goes in the garage Monday to get H&R's and Bilstein HD's installed! I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT I'M SO EXCITED!! How do I post pictures on a thread? I have yet to figure it out haha

Quick Reply: H&R Lowering Spring Install*