X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R Lowering Spring Install*

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Lucky... You gotta upload the picture to the web or you can post it to your "garage" on the forums and then link it from there. Use the little image icon when you make a post and paste your link in it. I'm going to install my springs next week. I will post my results when I get them in or if I have any questions.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 PM

Well I opened up that 2 ton jack I bought and tried to rotate my tires. That jack was crap! It lifted up about 10 inches and would start to sink back down. Couldn't even fit the jack stands underneath it, it sank so fast. Not sure if it was a problem with air in the jack or what. The instructions were confusing and almost sounded like you needed to add oil before you started to use it, but it did have oil in it and I tried to bleed the air out like it said. Still didn't work, so I returned it and didn't get another one. I think for my purposes I need something a little more heavy duty. 13" is barely enough lift to work with anyway. The jackstands are 11" as low as they can go, so I need at least that much to even get the jackstands under it. Probably just going to use a friends' jack to do the springs til I find a decent one on sale. I'm lowering it too so I don't know what my clearance is going to be. I assume a regular jack will still work fine with the new springs but I don't know.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

04xtype04, spend the money at say a Harbor Freight/Northern Tool or similar store and get yourself what is called a high lift jack. It is like the jacks that the Nascar guys use. Once you get one, you will wonder why anyone would buy a bottle jack. Sure they are a few more dollars, but they are going to last a long time and will make doing anything to your car so much easier. I picked up mine for like $80 and it is a 3-3/4 ton unit. So, anything I toss at it, it is going to handle. Because you are going to lower your car, you may have to spend a little more on a low profile unit, but they are out there and will do what you need.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Are you talking about the aluminum race jacks? I was looking at a 1.5 ton one at harbor freight yesterday and was tempted to get it. It was $90 but it was cool. 3 pumps and the car is lifted. I figure 1.5 tons (3000 pounds) is enough for the x-type, since you are only lifting one corner at a time. They also had a traditional 3 ton jack for $70 I believe, but the racing jack is the kind I would prefer. I realized you don't want to skimp on the jack. If that $27 jack hadn't failed yesterday it probably would've soon enough. I think a jack is where you are going to want to spend the extra money and get something durable. I've spent a crapload of money on my car this last month though so I guess I have to decide if I want to try to get my own right now. I really need a jack though just because the car is already so low, to do any maintenance under it you need to lift it.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I got the X back from the alignment shop a couple hours ago after the h&r springs and bilstein hd struts/shocks install. I didn't do the work because I figured with 165k on the clock and a Michigan lifetime, there was going to be issues that I didn't want to deal with. I was right. 3 broken/siezed bolts fought the techs all day haha but I applaud their effort. It turned out great and the car handles like a freight train on rails. I'll post pictures tomorrow after a bath.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 AM

Hopefully don't have that issue. Going to try to spray the bolts first. We don't get as much rust here in California fortunately. This project is already exhausting me and I don't even have the parts yet. Just spent another $80 on a jack. What I thought this project would cost compared to the actual cost... It's already occupying way to much of my time.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 03-11-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
Hopefully don't have that issue. Going to try to spray the bolts first. We don't get as much rust here in California fortunately. This project is already exhausting me and I don't even have the parts yet. Just spent another $80 on a jack. What I thought this project would cost compared to the actual cost... It's already occupying way to much of my time.
That was the determining factor of my doing it myself...my time. The shop took an entire day to do it so I could imagine I would be at it for a solid 3 days or maybe even 4. They did say the fronts were a bear to access and go to...rears are cake.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM

That's why I went ahead and ordered new front struts now instead of waiting a year and doing the job all over again. The rears I figure I can change out the shocks anytime I want. I just need to take it easy. I am getting overwhelmed anticipating it. They should be here soon. I am expecting it take most of a full day if I work slow.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:01 PM

All smiles over here. Trunk is full of the old struts, shocks and springs and that's where she sits. No rub in the rear at all but I have a lower offset wheel so even with the 225/40 I'm getting a little rub on the front inner fender wells. They'll disappear this weekend.

H&R Lowering Spring Install*-dscn1763.jpg

H&R Lowering Spring Install*-dscn1761.jpg

H&R Lowering Spring Install*-dscn1759.jpg

Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 PM

Oh wow, sweet ride. Looks like a 2009 x-type. Like that color with the wheels. Back looks really low, any rubbing or anything with those wheels? The front looks like it has some clearance. I was worried the front might rub my tires. I have the 17's with the 45 series. It looks like it's going to be a close fit but I think they'll work since they are just the stock tires.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Oh wow, sweet ride. Looks like a 2009 x-type. Like that color with the wheels. Back looks really low, any rubbing or anything with those wheels? The front looks like it has some clearance. I was worried the front might rub my tires. I have the 17's with the 45 series. It looks like it's going to be a close fit but I think they'll work since they are just the stock tires.
Thank you sir. No rub in the rear at all and that's not where it will sit. I still have the old equipment in the trunk which weighs probably 50lbs so as soon as that comes out it'll raise up slightly. The front is actually relevant to the rears in height it's just the design of the rear arch that makes it seem lower. The front only rubs at the rear of the tire on the inner liner. Easy fix. I'm going to do some major fender mods, like Justink, and step up to a 235/40/18 or maybe even a 245/35/18 next time to get a little more tire under me. The roads in Michigan are the worst I've ever seen.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM

Whoops I put the front springs on the rear and the rear springs on the front

Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Oh yea if you have a lot of weight in your trunk that makes sense. I was like dang, they don't give you much leeway for hitting bumps in the back.

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
Thank you sir. No rub in the rear at all and that's not where it will sit. I still have the old equipment in the trunk which weighs probably 50lbs so as soon as that comes out it'll raise up slightly. The front is actually relevant to the rears in height it's just the design of the rear arch that makes it seem lower. The front only rubs at the rear of the tire on the inner liner. Easy fix. I'm going to do some major fender mods, like Justink, and step up to a 235/40/18 or maybe even a 245/35/18 next time to get a little more tire under me. The roads in Michigan are the worst I've ever seen.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 PM

That is a sexy looking car. When you first posted I thought oh brother, some guy is getting lowering springs now on his old stock x-type. But that is actually a nice looking car. Definitely looks a lot more like a sporty Jaguar with the lower stance... Like a cat on the prowl!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Just got my springs today. My roommate is looking at me like I must be crazy to install them myself.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
I'm up to 255s now haha. I need to update my signature... it takes a bit of work to get them to fit, and I had to cut out parts of the plastic bracing on the front and rear bumpers too, and that was to fit the 245s I first put on. My inner fender linings are all cut up too haha. Its a process but I love the way my car looks with 255s, and the extra grip is awesome.

Btw the car looks great. Clean that thing up and get some more pics.

Last edited by Justink201; 03-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Justink201

Btw the car looks great. Clean that thing up and get some more pics.
Haha I was going to today but we're about to get our last decent amount of snow which means more salt and mud. I figured people might want to see it since I've been talking about it lol. I kinda like it dirty! As soon as we get a decent stretch of weather I'm going to wrap it in matte black vinyl. I picked the car up cheap because of the driver rear quarter panel had some damage and after repairs and paint you can kinda of tell it is a slightly different shade of Quartz. Its barely noticeable but I hate it! Lol

Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 PM

That is a sexy looking car. When you first posted I thought oh brother, some guy is getting lowering springs now on his old stock x-type. But that is actually a nice looking car. Definitely looks a lot more like a sporty Jaguar with the lower stance... Like a cat on the prowl!
Haha. As soon as I put the wheels on it seemed like it accentuated the wheel gap for some reason. Stock wheels weren't so bad but I think it was the lower profile that created the illusion. Either way, I had to get rid of it. The new stance and feel is what it needed!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Haha I understand. A few weeks ago had a spirited drive down a wet muddy clay back road and got a kick out of seeing it all dirty afterwards haha. The matte black would be something I haven't seen on an X yet, that would look nice with your wheels.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 PM

From the side it almost looks like a BMW or an S-Type R.

Quick Reply: H&R Lowering Spring Install*