Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harsh 2-3 shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Harsh 2-3 shift

Hi folks.

I've had a rough 2-3 shift on my 2002 auto gearbox for a while, but it has gotten worse during the past few weeks.

If I drive it very carefully, it shifts smoothly, but I need to be crawling along with RPM below 2,000, which doesn't always cut it in real conditions.

All other gears are fine. Unless I floor it, and then they are all harsh shifts, but I have only done that once, because I don't want to trash it...

I have swapped fluid (which helped a lot) when I got it, and recently added some "Lubegard Platinum" which didn't make a difference.

I have been reading up on other forums about the Jatco tranny, and it appears that my options are:

Switching (or reflashing TCM).

New solenoids.

New reverse and high pistons and frictions.

Tranny swap.

The first fluid drain and refill did not look as dark as I expected when it came out, but did look very dark when compared to new stuff.

I'm not getting any transmission codes.

I havent tried to test the solenoids at the harness.

The transmission is relatively whiney and loud.

I can hear a click when it is going between 2-3.

Any opinions or experience with this in the X-type before I start throwing parts at it?

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggedy
Hi folks.

I've had a rough 2-3 shift on my 2002 auto gearbox for a while, but it has gotten worse during the past few weeks.

If I drive it very carefully, it shifts smoothly, but I need to be crawling along with RPM below 2,000, which doesn't always cut it in real conditions.

All other gears are fine. Unless I floor it, and then they are all harsh shifts, but I have only done that once, because I don't want to trash it...

I have swapped fluid (which helped a lot) when I got it, and recently added some "Lubegard Platinum" which didn't make a difference.

I have been reading up on other forums about the Jatco tranny, and it appears that my options are:

Switching (or reflashing TCM).

New solenoids.

New reverse and high pistons and frictions.

Tranny swap.

The first fluid drain and refill did not look as dark as I expected when it came out, but did look very dark when compared to new stuff.

I'm not getting any transmission codes.

I havent tried to test the solenoids at the harness.

The transmission is relatively whiney and loud.

I can hear a click when it is going between 2-3.

Any opinions or experience with this in the X-type before I start throwing parts at it?

Thanks!
Well, my symptoms were so similar to what I read describing the cracked reverse piston, I decided to go ahead and do that. The parts are not too expensive.

When I got it apart, I couldn't see any crack. The frictions looked good too.

Since I had already bought the piston and frictions, I decided to put them in anyway, in case I just wasn't seeing a hairline crack or something.

And.. that did not fix the problem. Now my one-two shift and three-four shift are a little hard. Two-three is OK now.

This only happens after it warms up, about five minutes after starting.

So, I want to check the solenoids -- something I should have done earlier.

I once saw a clear chart of the pins at the connector, but I can't find it now. I want to check the ohms.

Does anyone know where that chart of the pins for checking the solenoids is?

Thank you. The car is getting better and better, but this transmission issue is weighing me down. ;-(

Old 11-18-2022, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, did you figure out the 2-3 shift issue?

Old 11-19-2022, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 746 Likes on 666 Posts

Mine was like this on shift up and down, with the down shift a bit harsher. After my transmission fluid change it cleared up and has not reoccurring since. Search my name for transmission fluid change with pics for procedure and warnings.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply and I will take a look.