X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have starting problems with my 2004 X-type 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question have starting problems with my 2004 X-type 3.0

just had done an oil change, spark plugs and air filter, car ran fine the next day, the day after would not start it would crank it still does just fine but it will not start battery its also new it seems like its not getting any fuel checked for spark and its getting spark, my display shows trany fault and above the display yellow and red lights blink all the time someone told me they are passive security system lights if so could this be the problem why the car won't start ? and how could I reset it ? any help would be much appreciated thanks...

Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

There is an Inertia Switch that might have been inadvertantly triggered that is designed to shut off fuel in an impact or accident. I have yet to try and find it in my X-Type, but reading around the interwebs just now it looks like it is on the passenger side.

Here's a qoute pulled from one of those interwebs on the subject, and on reseting it:

"for the xtype on passenger side
Inertia switch
In the event of an accident, an inertia switch will trip, isolating
fuel pump operation. Once the switch has tripped it must be
reset before attempting to restart the engine.
The inertia switch is located behind the trim on the right-hand
side of the vehicle, forward of the front door post, below the
fascia. Pull open the small panel in the trim to reset the switch.
Resetting the switch
! WARNING:
To avoid the possibility of fire or personal injury, do not
reset the inertia switch if you see or smell fuel.
If no fuel leak is apparent, reset the inertia switch as follows:
1. Turn the ignition switch to position ‘0’.
2. Pull open the small panel in the trim.
3. Press down the flexible cover on the top of the inertia switch.
4. Turn the ignition switch to position ‘II’, pause for a few
seconds, then return the key to position ‘0’.
5. Make a further check for fuel leaks.
6. Close the trim panel. "

Hope this helps you. Needless to say, tomorrow I am going to wring this process out for myself, just so I know the where and how of resetting the intertia switch. Apparently, a pot-hole or a bump from another car or maybe even less can trigger the event

I guess I could have searched this forum for the answer, but I do indeed like to drive around!

Good Luck!

The following users liked this post:
adygsxr (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 01:56 AM

I already found the inertia switch and pressed it nothing happen and yes it is on the passenger side by the right foot side panel easy to find and press. My problem is I'm getting fuel to the injectors but that's where it stops my injectors won't open.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would spray some starting fluid in and see if she starts up for a sec to be sure of your problem. If it in fact is your injectors not opening, something is keeping it from doing so and would be the computer. I know its a pain the the *** but i would check your fuel pressure with key on and see what it is after cranking. If it the pressure stays the same during cranking then yes in fact your injectors are not opening. I would then be looking for a computer.

Just suggestions.

adygsxr (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The symptoms are exactly the same as mine last winter...there was no ryhm or reason to WHY it suddenly wouldn't start and my transmission fault light was also on.

The remedy took about 20 minutes at the Jag dealership and didn't cost much. All they did was reflash the ECM because it "forgot" the last parameters it was running with. When I asked the why, the reply was "they just do that sometimes".

adygsxr (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 02:04 PM

to I <3 X-Type thanks but I've checked the fuel pressure and it stays at 48.2, put a computer on it and it gave me the bad camshaft position sensor LH replaced it with new same problem code not there anymore I believe I will tow the car to the dealer and follow what TheSeeker did I believe that to be the main problem even tho is a pain in the *** due to the fact that I will have to lose a day work plus dealer fees witch are never fair priced. Thanks to all that responded to my post I like the car don't want to get rid of it specially after the deal I got on it 3 years back at only 51k miles its the first problem I had with it and hope the last.