X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp Lens Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Headlamp Lens Restoration

I've just finished using the 3M Headlamp Lens Restoration kit on my X Type which had badly pitted and clouded up headlamp lenses. The result was really pretty good - certainly good enough to make me feel I'd done well for $30!! No headlamp dis-assemby required - nor any real skill, which is just as well for me!! The whole job took probably around 90 mins working time for all 4 lenses at a very leisurely pace. Total time was longer because my cordless drill ran out of juice halfway through the job ....

I've got some before, during and after photos that I'll throw up if someone can advise me on how to do that - (when I click "insert image", I get prompted to provide a URL? - is that because I'm a new member and don't have rights to attach pics yet?)

I have a similar clouded lens problem with my foglights but I can see condensation on the inside of the lens which makes me think repeating the same procedure will not achieve any good results. Anyone got any ideas about that? - cheers

Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did this to a set of lights I have, all you have to do is 1200 grit sand paper some water keep on sanding it. Once the light has been sanded use a number 2 wax and high speed buffer. They come up brand new.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Hey Danny , alternatively you can insert
[IMG] http:// [ / IMG] (no space between these tags )

Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jag has a factory hard plastic headlight cover..I have had one since I purchased my 03. It runs about $90 for the pair, and with all the stuff on the roads, It protects the lights. As I have the HD's, I guess that $90 for the covers is a lot better than replacing the lights, aand a real lot cheaper.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default some before and after photos

Sounds like there's some even better (cheaper) ways of doing this but I am still pleased with the kit I used - here's some photos -

Pic 1 shows the poor state of the lens after 200,000 kms'. I had tried to polish up the lens without using any sandpaper initially so they were marginally better than when we bought the car but as you can see, still badly pitted and looking a bit down at heel.

Pic 2 shows the lens about halfway through the restoration process - and 3 and 4 the end result. Not perfect but way way better than before - running a finger over the lens now, it's totally smooth.

At night, I don't see any difference in illumination but the car looks less of a wreck from the front - wish it was as easy to remove the signs of road rash from the bumper, hood and windscreen!!

And if Seeker is reading - you're not alone - I found out I had a spider in my lens too - seems they like x type headlamps!!

Attached Thumbnails Headlamp Lens Restoration-light1.jpg   Headlamp Lens Restoration-light2.jpg   Headlamp Lens Restoration-light3.jpg   Headlamp Lens Restoration-light4.jpg