X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp power wash - not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 03:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlamp power wash - not working

Hi guys, help please I have an X type 2.2 Sport Premium 56 plate, and have couple of problems that have occurred with it that I want to resolve.

1.Reversing sensory are very intermittent some trips the work some they don't no real reason
2. indicator fuse keeps blowing, i've replaced it all was ok for a few weeks now its blown again. just keep changing the fuse is not really the solution?
3. headlamp power wash stopped working, I believe there is a separate pump to the window washers, where is and how do I get to it.

any help greatly received.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 754 Likes on 673 Posts

On #1, read this post =
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sensors-74507/

#2, I have no input.

On #3 check fuses first, they do also only work with headlight switch manually set to on (not auto) & spray on initial key on/start and once every 6th time after that. Then check for clogged tubing. Light washer pump is located here (copied from another post) =
you just remove the drivers wheel and the lining and you can see the pump on the base of the washer bottle (it looks much easier to do it that way rather than trying to take the bottle out).

Old 08-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't help with 1 and 2 but for 3 look below.

Under the bonnet open the fuse box and check fuse No24 (30 amp rating) if you have not already done so. Also the headlamp washers will not work if the washer fluid is below a certain level in the reservoir.

Last edited by rapala; 08-19-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:15 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

you just remove the drivers wheel and the lining and you can see the pump on the base of the washer bottle (it looks much easier to do it that way rather than trying to take the bottle out).
I think the windscreen washer pump is at the base of the bottle and the headlamp washer pump is higher up.
Hence
Also the headlamp washers will not work if the washer fluid is below a certain level in the reservoir.
Can be confusing if as expected the windscreen washers still work.

I recall when I accessed the bottle, that you can just ease back the wheel arch liner after removing a couple of screws and the pumps just push in ( with O rings )

Top up the bottle and I hope all is back working.

The following users liked this post:
Carpn (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:32 AM

and so the saga continues,

1. Reversing sensory, no blipping from the sensors. interestingly put car in reverse, switch ignition on and walk around the back. no reversing lights either, no indicators, stop light works, rear lights work, break lights work. checked fuses all ok. so i'm guessing either faulty relay, broken wire or loose connection, ruling out the relay as to fail indicators, reverse light and parking sensors!

2. indicators not workings - see above I suspect all linked

3. powerwash pump runs, washers pop out but no water, disconnect washers hey presto pump runs and water appears, take off ends of the washers (spray head) hey presto water, put the spray heads back on ---- no water. manually catch the spray head and slightly pull out and hey presto water, so either the pump is failing or the water powerwash pistons are faulty. all very weird.

anyone else had this?

Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Just the spray heads clogged?

Old 08-22-2017, 06:29 PM

No all clear, took the heads off and can blow through no problem so not blocked.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:11 AM

Try this-.

under the bonnet open the fuse box and remove the powerwash fuse f24 30amp connect one end of the wire to the positive terminal of the battery and then connect the other end the the right hand (nearest wing) of the fuse holder. Out come the powerwash jets they will stay out and the pump will run as long as you have the wire connected.

There may be air trapped somewhere in the hoses to the jets. Hang an old towel or something over the headlamp and the washer jets or you will get wet when the water starts spraying.

I saved this a while ago now.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:21 AM

Thanks Rapala, I tried something similar, disconnected the pump electric connector and went direct to a separate spare battery via two leads, this has the same result again ran but no water, interestingly if I pulled only slightly on either of the powerwash head (i'm talking about a few mm that's all) out comes water.

Yes your point about a towel or similar is noted, stupidly I did not you can only guess the result, and not the once!!!!!

Replacement pistons turn up tomorrow £50 for both not bad I guess. I do hope this sorts it

Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Old 09-13-2017, 05:01 AM

Finally got around to fixing the problem, after everything it was a failing pump, what pain in the neck. and how stupid of Jag to place the headlamp washer pump in such a place that for a £40.00 part from Jag you have to take the wheel of, strip out the arch liners and take the front bumper off - Really Jag, get a grip!!!

Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Thumbs up

Fuse 34 (15amp) was the culprit for the indicators, reversing sensors and reverse lights more worryingly is that why would the fuse blow in the first place?

anyway thanks guys for all your help it's really appreciated.

rapala (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Good show tracking it all down carpn. Its always good when the solution is is put up on the forum.

Carpn (09-15-2017)