X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight aiming situation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

04X-TYPE, I got the headlight ones off by slipping a screwdriver in the slot and releasing the catch... it is the harness plug to the bumper I cannot get. It has a little red slide that appears to release the catch but it won't pull off and I don't want to break it.

I put the adjusters into the other light and learned some more tricks, tomorrow I will polish the lenses and spray them with clear-coat.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure that I ran into this whenever I took my front bumper off o.O I'm not quite sure. Maybe you can take a picture?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Sorry for my slow responses but I will be deploying next week for 4 months so I am pretty busy with other stuff.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mikie's Cat
04X-TYPE, I will polish the lenses and spray them with clear-coat.
Use clearcoat with "Sun Protection" additives or the lens will dull in a few months.

Check in auto parts stores for the spray or wipe-on bottles.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:09 AM

04X-TYPE...thanks, I pulled the red "clip" back on the bumper-harness and gently put a set of vice grips on the bumper side.. pulled and wiggled and it popped out. It had never been off in nine years. I'm going to put a bit of electrical grease on it when I put it together. I have both lights rebuilt and am polishing the lenses. I think this is the only way to go and will have detail instructions, with pictures, in a MS Word document if you decide to do it.

The following users liked this post:
QuintonChester (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 AM

Please post the MS Document file on here and I will make sure to download it. It is much appreciated.

And to Reyesl, Thank you for serving our country and I wish you the best of luck!

Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure if it helps i am working on a manufactured repair kit for the lights to sell in house at my parts company based on a metal and composite so should put an end to these problems.
I will put up a post once completed if i am allowed to

Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM

You can for sure send me a private message to me and let me know when they're ready. I'm really hoping they're inexpensive compared to the other ones which are $105.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuintonChester
And to Reyesl, Thank you for serving our country and I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks for your support, I have to train our troops on new equipment.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by albackuk
not sure if it helps i am working on a manufactured repair kit for the lights to sell in house at my parts company based on a metal and composite so should put an end to these problems.
I will put up a post once completed if i am allowed to
Please keep us up to date as I'm sure that you will have many interested buyers, myself included.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem on my x type i fix it with jw welding

Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Just wondering, is the problem with the breaking adjusters for all types of headlights, HID, or the conventional style? One of my low beams is out (a conventional one) so I'm going to be looking into things this weekend.

Thanks
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Been a bit busy (wife getting a new knee) so project is a bit delayed. I am becoming more of an expert then I care to be. Lights are finished and ready for "clear coat" I'm using "Spray Max" http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm another member recommended. Since the bumper is off I'm putting HID's in the fog lights also per another member. Because all the mixed Spray Max has to be used at once, I have compounded the aluminum side window trim, masked it and will seal it with clear coat. The Polish $105 adjuster kit is steel reinforced and will never break also. It is much easier to remove the lens (200 degree pre-heated oven) then working inside the unopened light. Yes I will post a detail MS Word file with lots of pictures. I someone can't wait, e-mail me and Ill send you the Word draft I have so far. The project has really brought Jag and me closer (kinda like wall papering with your best girl!)

The following users liked this post:
QuintonChester (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 07:39 PM

You're a lot of help Mikie's Cat! Thanks so much for keeping us updated on your project. I would love to have you send me the word draft I would also like a version of the completed version, but for this instant I am interested in fixing the adjusters.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM

Draft sent and will do a detail paper when the project is finished. anyone know how I get a real "picture" in my signature instead of the words "[SIGPIC]"? I did the local option and this is what I get (I know less about forums then I do X-Types)

Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM

I have this same issue on my 02 x-type. Can you please send me a copy of your word doc Mikie's Cat?

Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Trying to get my post count up so I can have extra features

Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand that you may need to take the lights out of the car but do you have to disassemble the lights to put this kit in???

THANKS

Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Angry Sorry for delay on "Word.doc" re-build procedures

Had a tree fall on my Florida home, had to replace entire roof. I will get back to writing the procedure for rebuilding those lighjts. Will someone tell SVENGALI how he can retrieve it when posted?

STRIKER27... the Polish seller of the rebuilt "adjusters" shows how to install them without splitting the light units but it is really like building a ship in a bottle (and you can't properly clean the inside of the units). All you have to do to split them is to put the unit in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes and run a putty knife around the rubber glue-seal and they will come right apart (re-heat them to put it back together). I broke my silver interior pieces (fixed with JB WELD) doing the first one without splitting it. Mikie

Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikie's Cat
Had a tree fall on my Florida home, had to replace entire roof. I will get back to writing the procedure for rebuilding those lighjts. Will someone tell SVENGALI how he can retrieve it when posted?.....................
Understandable delay. Hope no one was injured and you're getting things sorted.

SVENGALI: at the time of writing, I see you need 2 more days membership and 6 more posts. After that the magic is automatic - you'll be able to open or download any attachments in forum posts.

Graham

Quick Reply: Headlight aiming situation?