X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight low beam connector 2003 x type diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy headlight low beam connector 2003 x type diesel

This is my first time on the forum and i hope this makes sence to you. The connector to the low beam bulb on the drivers side has burnt out. The jaguar dealer said the connector is part of the headlamp unit and it cost well over £200 to replace it. I have looked on ebay to find a new connector but they all have got just a single wire to the connector were mine has 2 wires to it. Does anybody know if i can use the single wire connector and what wires go where? The bulb is a H1 with a single connector, thanks to anyone who can help me,
Regards, Steve

Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The block has 2 wires on it, one yellow and one brown, I cannot remember which are which but obviously one is +ve and the other -ve.
When I fitted my HID's I cut off the block and made up spade connections to these wires.
If you inspect the block or use a multimeter to find which wires are which you can make up your own connections for a few pence.

The following users liked this post:
manyama (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

manyama, since you have halogen bulbs, it doesn't matter which wire you put to which terminal on the bulb. So, pick up 2 of the single connectors and call it good.

Welcome to the forums. You will find that there is lots of useful information here. So, stick around, grab a cup of joe, do some reading and learn a lot about your kitty. BUt, we do ask that you stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself. There you can see who the movers and shakers are around here. You will also find that we are a friendly bunch here and we like to get to know one another.

manyama (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by faltwen
The block has 2 wires on it, one yellow and one brown, I cannot remember which are which but obviously one is +ve and the other -ve.
When I fitted my HID's I cut off the block and made up spade connections to these wires.
If you inspect the block or use a multimeter to find which wires are which you can make up your own connections for a few pence.
Thanks for your reply. So that i understand you properly your saying that one of the cables is live and the other is an earth? Obviously live go's to the bulb but where do i put the other cable? (electrics not my strong point) Thanks again for your help, cheers, Steve.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've just checked the connector and I see your problem now, the outside of the block is the earth that connects to the edge of the bulb.
I would suggest contacting a jaguar used parts dealer to get 2nd hand blocks then connect them to the wires with spade connectors.
Try b12jags.co.uk - I've used him before and he's pretty helpful.

I've just been searching, have a look at this, it should help you.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-61386/

Last edited by faltwen; 02-01-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 AM

Thanks again ,I had no low beams, so I pulled the covers off both bulbs blown. After looking at the connectors I see this connector is a poor design, and this scares be a bit !
Driving my Jag this week and engine stops for some reason ? So I restart the car drive a couple of feet and it stops again. Restart it and slowly drive home. I have driven the car a couple of times since then and no problem, but only short drives. I am really worried now to take a trip up to Banff which is about 1 1/2 hour drive. Any guesses what might be wrong ? Maybe fuel filter ??

Old 09-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

big d, when the car cuts out, are you getting a check engine light to stay on when you restart the car? If so, get the code(s) read and let us know what they are. It could be something as simple as a broken wire/bad fuse that is temporarily interrupting the power to the ECM or it could be something more obscure and difficult to find. If you are getting a P1000 code, then this would lead me to believe that you are loosing power to the ECM. If you are getting no codes at all, then I would be looking towards the ignition switch. By chance, is the rest of the car remaining on or are there things that are also turning off with the engine? This might help narrow down where the problem lies.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Default engine cutting out

Thanks for the reply, well car cuts out there is no engine light, so when it cuts out everything cuts out its like I turned the key off. Very strange, has not done this again. Is it possible that running low octane gas might cause problems ? the only other thing is the blown out low beam bulbs. I have not replaced them both yet. also need to change connectors for low beams as they look kinda melted I'm surprised the fuses weren't blown 16 and 17

Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

big d: This post has one way to solve the headlight problem: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1053650

Regarding the intermittent stalling, how many miles does your car have? I ask because my X-Type used to stall intermittently as the fuel pump slowly failed at ~120 Kmiles. And when it stalled, it did not generate any error codes or trip the check engine light. Each time it stalled, I had to wait a few minutes on the side of the road until the fuel pump (and engine) would restart, and then it would run as if nothing was wrong......until a few days later when the fuel pump faltered again. Initially the stalling was infrequent, but became more frequent over time, until I replaced the fuel pump and haven't had the problem since.

If this sounds like your car's symptoms, I can walk you thru how to confirm if the fuel pump is the root cause. If the root cause is an intermittent electrical problem, Thermo is the expert.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Default engine cutting out

Thank you for your reply. You might be right but I hope not big bucks to replace fuel pump. Unfortunately I cannot do these repairs myself as I am handicapped COPD . So I,ll drive it a little longer just in town, no long trips.
Today is my 67 birthday so tomorrow is a another day.
Thanks for your help means a lot to me !!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:13 PM

big d: Happy Birthday!

Hopefully the fuel pump is not the problem. It's a pricy repair when you pay a mechanic to do it. The part is $300-400, plus labor to drop the gas tank - the pump is inside. Some people who work on their own car take a shortcut, literally, cutting an access hole in the sheet metal under the rear seat. But a mechanic will charge you to drop the tank, after moving the driveshaft and exhaust pipe out of the way - not a small task.

big d (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

big d, a check that you can do is to have a mechanic check the fuel rail for proper pressure. If a fuel pump starts to go, it will tend to loose pressure before it goes completely.

Another thing that you can pay attention to is get a feeling for how long does the car take to start under the 2 conditions I am going to state. The first condition is the car has sat over night and you roll the key directly from the OFF position to the START position. The second condition is the car has sat overnight, you turn the key from OFF to RUN, wait 5 seconds, then finish turning the key to the START position.

If you are seeing a long time (say 3-4 seconds) before the engine starts when you roll the key from OFF to START directly, yet, when you do the pause, it will start almost immediately, then this is another sign that your fuel pump is starting to go.

Hope this helps you figure out what is going on. Keep an eye on the car. It may have just been a fluke and it won't happen again. We can all hope.

big d (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Default engine cuts out

Thermo I tried that test for faulty fuel pump. I tried to start right away after car sat all night. It started in two seconds. Then turned the key to on position for about 10 seconds, same two second start. Hopefully pump is ok !!
Thanks for your help much appreciated

Old 09-18-2015, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

big d, you can try replacing the fuel pump (cheap and pretty easy to do). it may be that the fuel filter is getting clogged and dropping too much pressure, resulting in less than desireable spray patterns from the fuel injectors.

After that, I say keep driving it and go from there. It may have been a fluke and it won't return. Not sure what more to tell you about this.

big d (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:39 AM

big d: The fuel filter is what Thermo meant to say is cheap and easy to replace. A typo, for sure. His knowledge & experience is tremendously helpful to us all.

He's right - replacing the fuel filter is worth a try. I replaced the filter and nursed another ~6 months / ~10 Kmiles from the old fuel pump. Still had to replace the pump, but the clean filter 'helped' the old pump limp along.

The filter is under the car, by the gas tank, near the rear passenger door.

big d (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Default low beam

Hi yes replacing fuel filter not difficult ,replacing fuel pump another story .
Thanks again
Big D

Old 09-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

Thanks dwclapp, yes, I did mean fuel filter (not fuel pump). Give yourself 30 minutes and it is a done deal.

big d (09-18-2015)