X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy steering.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy steering.

Hello. My x type2.5 4wd 2001 has developed heavy steering. It was in a heated garage after my back window was smashed and it rained in quite a lot. When I collected the car after 3 weeks it was heavy. Also on my small diagnostic computer I can read fault code C1776. Please help!

Old 07-21-2021, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,998 Likes on 794 Posts

Hi Bovington,

I am not sure of your code C1776, I can't find reference to it, so rather than guessing I will defer to the other forum members who might have some actual insight on that particular code.
I will however point out that most codes for our vehicles are P type codes, so I am suspecting the OBD11 reader you are using might not be accurately reading and displaying the correct codes, so this code of yours might be a red herring.

Rain getting into the car is certainly not great for the car's general electrical systems and could have some long reaching implications for the vehicle if connectors or modules have had exposure.
However, power steering should not be affected by that event unless the car is now immensely heavier and waterlogged.
I assume the boot and spare tyre well is not full of water still and all carpets have successfully dried out?
That being the case the kerb weight of the vehicle should be normal.

So with respect to your heavy steering, that is a mechanical system with hydraulic not electrical power assist.
Therefore the only things that can likely change the steering resistance will be:-
  1. Tyre drag: check that the tyres are not underinflated, as soft tyres will be appear heavier for the steering to move. Also a quick visual check of your steering alignment to make sure you have not had something else occur that has knocked the alignment out (kerb rash on your rims or side wall impact evidence on the tyre itself).
  2. Power steering pump operation: I assume the power steering pump is still being rotated normally by the accessory belt (belt not broken or slipped off, PS pump not seized). A quick visual check of the belt and observing the PS pump rotating with car idling.
  3. Power steering fluid: Check your fluid level and fluid condition, low or bad fluid will diminish power steering performance. Power steering fluids can absorb water, as a result they can change colour and clarity, so that can be a easy visual inspection to make.
  4. If it is not one of the basic items above you might need to get your mechanic involved to delve further into investigating the pump or steering box further as there could be a restriction or obstruction in the system.
Just another thought, the steering column itself does sound like it has high internal column friction/binding, tight bearings or steering lock partial engagement as you rotate the steering wheel?

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

C1776 says it's a heater system failure. I doubt that's the code for your problem.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Another thought.......Your 2001 model may also have variable steering assist.
If that is somehow disabled then you might have heavy steering (diminished power assistance).
See if your steering rack has the servo/transducer fitted.
If so I have copied some info from the early model wiring schematics, added a picture of what appears to be the steering rack and referenced the shared 10 amp fuse number (Fuse 82) according to early schematics.
Check fuse 82 is intact (you would also be missing reversing lights I think if that fuse was blown), check the two wire plug EM-91 is securely plugged into the rack servo and check wiring integrity through intermediate plugs up to instrument cluster as that is where the servo is driven from.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:11 AM
Default Heavy steering

Yes it would appear that I have variable steering as there is an electrical contact on the rack. You said that the signal for this comes from the instrument clluster! One of the faults I have is that the oblong odometer, which also tells you if a door is open etc, does not work. This was not working after the car was parked in the garage after the window was broken. Can this affect the steering?

Old 07-22-2021, 01:29 AM

Hi Dell,
your diagnosis for the lamda sond was spot on. Thank you so much!

Old 07-22-2021, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

If I am looking at the right schematic for your year of production, Fuse 82 does feed into the instrument cluster and also the reversing lights switch....hence me asking if you still have reversing lights working.
Might be worth looking at that first.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:22 AM
Default Steering

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
If I am looking at the right schematic for your year of production, Fuse 82 does feed into the instrument cluster and also the reversing lights switch....hence me asking if you still have reversing lights working.
Might be worth looking at that first.
the reversing lights are working and all the fuses are ok. My nearest jag workshop is 550km from here and no workshop in this town has the computer to go in and check anything. They just don’t want to help. So I am really grateful that you have taken the time to help.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:27 AM

he reversing lights are working and all the fuses are ok. My nearest jag workshop is 550km from here and no workshop in this town has the computer to go in and check anything. They just don’t want to help. So I am really grateful that you have taken the time to help.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Bovington,
Did some searches of other threads and found two that might be worth a read for you about the steering assist system and some testing you can do.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...steering-4519/
This thread is not for x-type but may give some additional background info.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-148301/page3/

Basically you need to check the resistance of the coil in the transducer, it should be around 7 to 8 ohms. If open circuit or very low resistance it may be proof of a part failure.
If it measures OK, then you might need to check if it is receiving drive current of 864mA.
Hopefully you have a reasonable multimeter to do some of these checks seeing you have no local resources to easily fall back on.

If coil is good and you can detect it is being driven, then you are probably looking at PS fluid system lacking pressure.

What I am still worried about is your lack of odometer reading in the instrument cluster.
That could be a lack of communication between the ECM and cluster.
Is there anything else not working or displaying properly?
Any check engine light, gearbox error lights, stability system light?

Old 07-22-2021, 06:32 AM

Hi h202steam, Thank you for for your help and tips ! I had an engine warning light but this disappeared when I changed the first lamnda sond. no other warning lights at all. I`ll try to do the checks that you told me about. just need to locate everything and give it a shot! By the way, the car is not completely without power steering, just isn`t half as good as it was before.Where are the coil and transducer? Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2021, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

The transducer/coil is the item I had arrowed previously as part of the steering rack assembly (shematic calls it the variable assist servo).
Seems to be called several things by various people in discussions.
A two pin plug goes into it that has a Red wire (R) and Blue wire (U) . You should be able to unplug and then measure across the coil pins for a resistance reading of around 7.5 ohms.
Less resistance may indicate some shorted turns inside the coil. Higher resistance could also indicate a problem.

Depending on access to that area you might find it easier to locate connectors JB130 or JB145 which link the coil back to the instrument panel via the harness layout.

Have you downloaded a wiring diagram of your car yet? If not, here is a link to what I assume is a compatible wiring diagram that I have been referencing for you.
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...02001.50en.pdf

Old 07-22-2021, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Just in case you are looking for parts once you have diagnosed, here are some options I quickly found on eBay UK. Double check compatibility first.

Transducer only (2nd hand): Part# C2S12020
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291559104...4AAOSwOkFZjKOH
Transducer only (New): Part# C2S12020
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183194767...kAAOSwPxVbYhur

Complete Servotronic rack assembly with transducer (minus tie arms) 2nd hand: Part# C2S20408
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271981014...UAAOSwrlRZ0MyH
Seems to be a number of these on offer currently, so you can pick and choose which seller may ship your way.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:47 AM

Thank you Sir.
I`ll start looking as soon as possible.
Thank you so very much!