Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello once again

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hello once again

Okay so many older members here have provided me with guidance during my jaguar ownership and when I sold her and saw her drive away, I can't say that i wasnt heart breaken to here the underpowered, and duarl exhuasts drive off. But now I need a replacement.

A bit of an update on me, after i sold the jag I bought a house and got a new job in my chosen field, that gave me some time to save some change.

I cant buy another jag but I thought the best forum on the interwebs would offer some support.

I have come down the four prime vehicle choices, and none will ever come close the jag in handling, comfort and style but here they are.

Ponitac g8 gt, fast, monster engine, and actaully quite well engineered but impossable to find.

That leaves the lexus is series, particular the 2.5l awd or the 3.5 rwd.
Not a massive fan as i find many japense cars dont have 'soul", but this is coming for a former driver of very "soul filled" vehicle that occasionally liked to the shed parts.

The mustang gt, great car, fast, fun but problematic during winter, and I ski alot. But i could survive and love the aspect of a limitless aftermarket.

finally, sorry for the essay, the 2012 jeep wrangler unlimited sahara, great out door vehicle, great for canada and would be very practical.

Help me decide, and oh, How is everyone doing these days, its been a long time since I posted?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

My vote is the Lexus and the Holden Commodore is second.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:01 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>the Holden Commodore is second.

Agreed, you can't beat something from Oz.

Parts could start to get expensive, though. DAMHIK, owned a Mitusbishi Diamante, Aus built beauty, parts sole-sourced from down-under.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Stu, great to see you around again......always welcome here Jag or no Jag you know that!

As for your choices?
Tbh not knowing too much about some of these vehicles I'll not be your best advisor for sure, but based on practicality / parts availability I'd probably go with the Jeep.
For pure fun, power and the cool factor it'd be the Mustang, but as you say, probably not driveable for a 3rd of the year.

Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you.

Don't forget to come back and let us know, post some pics etc

Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Stu

From one x Jag owner to another.

I would never own another mustang if my life depended on it. There are too many of them and they have no soul. Same with the Pontiac, they don't even make them anymore which down the road might be an issue. I have owned 5 Jeeps, they all guzzle gas and like pretty much anything we make in NA are OK to climb in and drive but they don't 'speak' to me or have 1 iota of personality.

I do like the Lexus and the AWD is a hoot to drive, tons of after market go fast goodies for it as well. The Japanese are not known for producing anything with a soul but for the shear grin factor that's my choice.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone. The holden commadore, manora arnt built or sold in canada at all. And Ive tried my best, I was about to colse a deal in a deep marroon g8 gt until it slipped to some fat old basturd. lol

The jeep is looking good, and I would love to put HIDS in it, problem is ive been in the position were you cant see with some dbag ina truck dosent have teh correct housing so I wont be doing that.

The jeep is looking better espcially with the new engine, options for 2012, the other option now would be a srt8 jeep... and it a monster but i think for my purposes sadly its out. and the lexus is nice, and got me thinking about them again but...the rear end on those things is hideous.

I will keep you all posted, and through out a helping hand when i can to some questions.

thanks everyone. and yea it seems this truly is the best forum on the wbs, other fourms just dont have the personality of this forum.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Disco! Outta school and working. Awesome. Seems like only yesterday you were getting your leaper snapped off in the school parking lot.

Go for the G8! Why? Because you don't see them everyday. Just like when you had your Jag in our silly little city. You can be practical later in life. You may just have to look a bit further than in your own back yard to find one. I'll bet they come with traction control or DSC so you won't be spinning out all the time...remember I am OLDER and I've never given you bad guidance. Or none that you have heeded anyways.

Last edited by mohrd; 11-03-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Disco, what I am inferring from what you are saying is that you are after a car, but you want AWD. While it is a bit of more widely seen car, may want to consider the Subaru Impreza (or the WRX/STI variants). That will have the AWD system, a decent motor, and pretty good reliability. Then, if you want to upgrade the car, there are tons of options with that vehicle.

But then, I also hear a bit of sadness in your voice from not getting another Jag. I would say not to rule the car out, but to do some looking around. most of us have the X-Types and don't have any more issues than any other vehicle. I think you ran into the oddball car, not the norm. So, give it another look. I know your family is going to give you grief over a choice like that, but any vehicle you look at can be a lemon in the making (not trying to sound negative here, but that is the truth of the situation).

Of the cars that you listed, it is sounding like overall the Lexus is going to be your best bet. The Jeep is going to be number 2. But, I would recommend looking at the Subaru though as it may be what you are looking for and fit the bill a bit more than the Lexus.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Disco HAS been busy. Out of high school, new job, bought a house AND is looking for a new sweet ride. Geez, that's not how I remember my late teen years going. Nice going.

I really like the G8s all decked out, but winter is long and even with all the traction aids up where you are I would think that would still be somewhat of an adventure. But then again come spring.....your call there. I agree with you on the Lexus. I bet is is truly a great car, but I really do not like the styling at all. I think the firts generation still looks a lot better.

I agree with Therno about your car being an isolated case. With what you know now about Xs I bet you could find a much better one with a little patience. Then again, your family seemed pretty adament about no more Jags. Whatever you end up getting let us know.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an x type now but i work at a lexus dealership here in VA. I think the lex is the best choice out of all of those cars for modding and reliability. I think it will be the cheapest to maintain too becaus ethey are built so well. Parts may be expensive depending on what breaks but thats the thing, they rarely break. The is250 is a solid car but it dissapointing when you put the pedal down. The is350 RWD is a true driver's car, it is fast, handles well, will last forever, and it has a snow mode button for when you go up the mountain. Lexus will be a great choice for comfort and reliability and it will be my next car.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi Stu, good to see you. Sounds like you are doing OK.

I'll say the Lexus as well. Got that Snow mode on a Toyota, god knows what it does, but the car just powers on through.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

My vote is:
1: lexus awd
2: wrangler
3: pontiac
7000: mustang

Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by disguay
My vote is:
1: lexus awd
2: wrangler
3: pontiac
7000: mustang

haha 7000

Well yes I've been very busy studing, working and what not. I guess i should include what I have been up to for the last 8 months haha.

Well after i sold the jag for aheart breaking 5 grand, I got a job at a local pharamcy and then bought a house. Then i started a side project in photograpghy which is also helping me in the money department and you may see some of my pictures in alberta travel sites and brochures, on top of that I won a few scholarships that are aiding me in a new vehicle purchase. So i guess i have been up to a lot.

But like i said earlier, the g8 gt would be my first choice, and the car actaully handles, I was about to close a deal on a nice marooon red g8 gt at our local dealership but it was sold on the day I went to make a deal, and that night it was parked at the local bar in front of where i parked...i couldnt stop staring.

And there are none on sale, I might have to dip into the next province over to get a decent one, but that wont be in my time line till next year.

Thermo you are correct, I saw a maroon x type wagon yesterday and i couldn't help thinking about my car, its HUANTING ME. But sadly its a no go, I honestly do think car was a isolated incident, and with the curb incident it tweaked everything with the drive line enough to cause the problems.

However, that being said Im am pretty educated on buying another jag, and would know where and what to look at if i could buy one. But my parents are a no go, there buying american even the cash i have set aside i could purchase one with warranty but my parents are firm.

I love the suby, but my father cant drive stick, he lost that skill along time ago. They are nice little pocket rockets, but man is the interior bare bones. So thats out mainly becuase of the father not being able to drive stick.

I test drove the jeep, they want 41 grand....
I actaully kinda liked it, the only problem i have is the steering and handling has quite a spooky feel to it, it seems theres no real feedback and your always correcting or feeling nervous, or maybe im just used to my old jags feel.

The lexus is a great option, but i dont like the rear on them at all. it would probally be the best choice out of all of them, except the cool factor of the jag.

And practicality wise i was thinking, go practical now, and buy a personal spaceship later in life, such as a jag xkr, or the new xjl, my god is the new xj beautiful on real life.

Once again, sorry for the essay.

Nice to see some of the members still sticking around. What have you guys been up to?

Last edited by Disco stu55; 11-06-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: everyone knows my amazing spelling skills
Old 11-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I'm in the same situation you are. I'm looking for something practical yet cool that will make me happy too. It sounds like the G8 is what your gut really wants, and I don't blame you. My friend has a G8 GT with sport appearance package and damn is it cool. You catch people staring at it everywhere it goes. Monster power, takes corners like a champ and plenty of passion. And you have a right to be concerned about winter, but when you see it in your garage or driveway it really wont matter because you know you're happy.

I also considered a wrx, but with my long drives to/from school the bare interior would drive me nuts. Please don't buy a mustang.

Follow your gut man!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Disco, for me the bare interior would be heaven sent. But then, I like to dress up my cars the way that I want them to be. Sure it probably costs me a little more in the long run. BUt for me, it is exactly what I want. But then, I am also a function over looks person too. If you are wanting an AWD car due to the weather, then let that be the motivating factor. You can always install a new stereo, make the interior a little fancier, but you can't make all 4 wheels pull for you.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thermo never thought of it like that, you right, my friends got a 400hp sti monster and it goes like stink.

The g8 is wicked, but like i said its impossible to find one around here.

I got a call last night from a dealer that i contacted three months ago. About the infiniti g37, now this would be rwd and sporty but the whole rwd aspect and now as well as a wd version plays into decission.

I like the g37 but then If i look at it at teh odd angle i just hate it, but it is a option, im leaning heavely towards the jeep wrangler, ive even spotted out what im going to do to it lol.

what do you guys think, the jeep is perfect in that it will hold my skis, my bicycle, photo equipment, hiking gear and what not, but i will be spending a majority of time on paved roads. icy paved roads.

The g37 probaly wont hold much, as long as skis fit i would be happy, but then winter, ever forum ive ever read will say "Oh yea with proper tires the car is great", seems to me every forum online is regretating this statement and are slightly bias, except ours of course lol.

Ps, i have managed to convince my parents the jag wasnt bad at all, but they still wont buy it lol.
It like when i give them advice when they ask me about a certain drug....

Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Veteran member

Disco, you could always spend $5000 USD and get my Expedition. It would have the AWD that you want (actually full time 4x4 if you want), has a lift and big tires on it already and is regeared to match the tires. So, unless the snow is a meter deep, you are going to make it through. Trust me, this truck turns heads. I get comments on it all the time. But then, the down side to it is that it is a 97, but it only has 130K miles on it. Lots of life left in a truck like this. Just saying.