X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !

I just F'd up the passenger side side skirt on my X. No other damage thank god, but the plastic is toast and needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement side skirt ? I have access to a paint booth so I can do all the work, I just need a new skirt. Help me please !

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP !

You may be have to check with the *********** and see what it costs + paint. Unless you can find a sport parts car somewhere in the US, which is highly unlikely as I haven't found one yet...

Sorry to hear that tho'. I know it sucks. Sucks as much as someone stealing my leaper and me trying to debate whether to buy another one.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 PM

I was parked in a grocery store parking lot dropping off my wife for her to run in real quick. Parked next to a curb/decorative garden with a friggon ROCK in it on the passenger side of the car. As I was waiting, a car pulled out of the parking stall right on the other side of the ROCK. I didn't see the ROCK, turned too sharp to get to the stall, heard a crunch. You get the picture. I'm just WAY pissed at myself right now. Its not real bad. Soon as I heard it I stopped and backed up. Its gouged pretty deep and there is a permanent dent in the plastic. No way to just sand it smooth without glooping some bondo on it. My wife is soooooooooo pissed at me (she has every reason to be) it was stupid. I think I broke a few clips too. When I open the back door the back of the skirt is loose, the door being shut holds it up ok.

Would a body shop be able to get one do you think ? Or am I looking at a dealer only part. I only ask because I'm paying for this out of pocket most likely ($500 deductable).

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 AM

I as just noticing on Jaguar XP the have a "sport body kit". You can buy the side skirts only (pair) for $385. Are these the same as the factory ones ? do they fit/attach the same way as the stock ones do? Anyone had experience with these ?

Thanks again. Sorry if I seem a little testy in my above post. I'm not trying to be a jerk to you guys, I'm just really upset with myself...

Sorry to hear about your leaper spartan. One of my biggest fears, next to ornamental rocks...

Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 AM

i think www.jaguarxp.com sells some side skirts, check em out

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM

I went and got an estimate today. Worst case scenario is $478.00 He told me it could be fixed provided the mounting tabs are not broken off the back of the skirt, which he doesn't think the are. If the mounting tabs are still intact and it just broke the mounting pin, he'll take it off, repair it and put it back on with a new pin. That'll only cost me $325. If the tabs are broken off then odviously the whole skirt will need to be replaced. I'm thinking I may just get a new one put on anyway just to avoid having to use any bondo or anything....
I feeel a little better. I was thinking much worse than that. $478.00 still ain't no chump change though... Just the panel itself is $262.00...

Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 PM

I don't know if this would work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...3756.m14.l1318

Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 PM

Dude, sorry that would not look right on a sport.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 AM

Good find though. Thank You ! But, yeah, it wouldn't look right on a sport. Plus it doesn't go down far enough under the car to cover all of the damage. Man ! I appreciate the find !

Old 07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I have both sides available if you want to buy the passenger side. I was going to sell them as a pair on eBay, but I'll sell you the one if you want. I took them off when I installed the OE body kit. They're painted black and in perfect condition. Since the paint is still very good, you can usually get away with light sanding and painting over, so you don't have to sand all the way to the plastic and go through priming, etc.

MSRP on that part is $280, you can have it for $120 + actual shipping. Let me know.

While at it, if anyone is interested in the other side, PM me.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I was skeptical when the body shop recommended by my jag dealer (they don't do body work themselves) wanted to repair a torn plastic bumper when I got rear ended at a light. I thought.. "great, now i'm going to have to disclaim that the bumper was 'patched' not simply replaced when i sell it down the road" but after I got it back, it was so well done, that I coud'nt even tell it was damaged in the first place. If you get a good shop, don't let a little plastic repair deter you.

Now, as I type this, my car is at the dealer getting the wheel repaired. Last weekend, I found the curb at the Rosa's drive thru too good to resist, so I rubbed it affectionately with the left rear. (being sarastic, obv) I'm just as ticked off at myself as you are, so you are not alone. This is my second wheel to get repaired at $126 each incident.

Get us some before and after pics when you can to see the finished product.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: h20boy

I was skeptical when the body shop recommended by my jag dealer (they don't do body work themselves) wanted to repair a torn plastic bumper when I got rear ended at a light. I thought.. "great, now i'm going to have to disclaim that the bumper was 'patched' not simply replaced when i sell it down the road" but after I got it back, it was so well done, that I coud'nt even tell it was damaged in the first place. If you get a good shop, don't let a little plastic repair deter you.

Now, as I type this, my car is at the dealer getting the wheel repaired. Last weekend, I found the curb at the Rosa's drive thru too good to resist, so I rubbed it affectionately with the left rear. (being sarastic, obv) I'm just as ticked off at myself as you are, so you are not alone. This is my second wheel to get repaired at $126 each incident.

Get us some before and after pics when you can to see the finished product.
Your right. These are good guys at this body shop. They did the rear bumper on my pick a year ago (got rear-ended by a Mack truck, another long story)and the bumper isperfect. I have full faith that if he says he can repair it then he can repair it. He's not one to go half-assed either. He'll tell you when the cheap rout is wrong and why. In this case he says the cheap rout is no prob I beleive him. This is all provided that the tabs aren't broken off, but I think they're ok.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: spielnicht

I have both sides available if you want to buy the passenger side. I was going to sell them as a pair on eBay, but I'll sell you the one if you want. I took them off when I installed the OE body kit. They're painted black and in perfect condition. Since the paint is still very good, you can usually get away with light sanding and painting over, so you don't have to sand all the way to the plastic and go through priming, etc.

MSRP on that part is $280, you can have it for $120 + actual shipping. Let me know.

While at it, if anyone is interested in the other side, PM me.
And YOU ROCK BROTHER !!!! GOD I LOVE YOU. PM sent.