Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with ABS/Brakes/Pulsing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help with ABS/Brakes/Pulsing...

Hi,

I own an '04 X-type 3.0 with 58K on it. I love it, but it's got something funky going on with the brakes...

For the past 3 weeks, approaching a stop, it feels like the ABS is kicking in JUST before the vehicle comes to a full-stop. Brakes don't lock, but I can feel the pedal pulsing and hear it. Car always stops (Whew...), but it's becoming a worry.

I'm not getting any warning lights and as I stated, the brakes are working well otherwise. I've done both front wheel bearings (the last one about 2 years ago) but understand the speed sensors are potted in them. Not sure where to start and being winter here, pretty hard to do any Shade Tree work outside.

Would appreciate any insight and hope to hear from anyone that may have had this experience...

Dave

Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are any codes being thrown?

Also how consistent are your tires(all the same age and rotated regularly or are two worn)

Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM

Fronky, No codes and the tires are Conti extreme contacts (4) that I put on this past summer. They likely only have 5k on them, but I havent checked the tire pressure on them for a bit and they may need a rotate. Not sure if something like that would cause this, but will have them checked this week. Could that cause this??

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Dave,

Yeah, I have the same thing. With mine, it is always the same reason: one of connectors to a wheel speed sensor is a bit loose or corroded. Everything works fine when braking until I am just about walking speed, and then the brake pedal "flutters" a bit right before the stop - as the ABS kicks in - just as you describe.

I used to be able to simply tap the connector with the toe of my shoe - it happened so often I didn't even need to look for it, I would just stick my hoof up behind the wheel and tap it a few times - and all would be well for a few hundred miles.

It is not responding to my little tap-dance anymore, so when the wind stops blowing and the snow stops falling I will drive that wheel up one of the ramps and either clean up the connector or just solder the wires together.

(The other thing that always kills the connector is the high-pressure under-body rinse nozzle the local automated car wash).

I think a bit of clean-up and a squirt of WD-40 on all the speed sensor connection plugs will probably eliminate your problem fully!

Best 'o luck, and do be sure to let us know how it works for you. (When other people search for a problem, it is nice for them to see if a particular solution resolved it)

Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Bruce,

Thanks for the heads up! While I'm not in ND, it's still hard to climb under a car in the snow. Especially a fat guy.

Do you know it the connector is behind the hub? I did the brakes, but don't remember seeing a connector. Wasn't looking at the time either...

Thanks again!

Dave

Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM

The front ones are at 12:00 right behind the rotors. The rears are easier to get to, they are at 3/9:00 pointing toward the back

It is a very common problem, if you search a bit you should be able to find pictures or a video

The following users liked this post:
Bruce in North Dakota (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM

That sounds like a warpped rotor