X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on buying an x-type

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on buying an x-type

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and from the UK. Thinking of buying a 2005/6 X-Type 2.0D Sport or 2.2D Sport I’m not too sure which one would be best. Is there anything I should look out for? I currently own a Subaru Impreza WRX, which I will be selling and then buy a Jag. Many thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

if you are looking for wrx-like performance you will need to look for a different car. My understanding is that the diesels are very slow and sluggish with this car and don't even have awd. I own a 3.0 sport and think that having the sport package is a necessity simple because the sport seats are SOOOOOO much better than the standard seats. With that being said, the petrol 3.0 in my x type is pretty much the lowest amount of power I would want from this car (keep in mind this is the largest engine that this car is offered with.) To get all 4600lbs of this car moving takes a lot of energy and I think you will be very disappointed from going to a wrx to a diesel x type. Sure, they look good, but they don't perform. That's just my two cents though.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

M4GPR, like disguay says, the X-Type is a Jag and while it is sporty, it isn't anything close to what the WRX is. If you attempt to get WRX performance out of the X-Type, it is going to be an expensive car to own (the transfer cases are weak and if you abuse them, the car will abuse your wallet, roughly $3000 USD to get a new transfer case).

As for what engine to get in the car, you have to ask yourself what you are looking to get out of the car. If you want something to go light to light, then the 3.0L motor all the way (tons of low end power and pulls strong right up to the red line). If you are after mileage, then you are looking at the 2.2L motor or the diesel. But, now you are lacking in power.

If you are after sport, then I would tell you to look at the S-Type if not the XJ. Sure, the XJ is a little more expensive initially (atleast here in the US), but you will get the same mileage and a lot more power along with a much nicer ride.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 AM

Thanx guys for your input. I am not looking for performance with the X-Type like the Scooby. Few years back in my 30's I owend two Jags.

One being XJ12 5.3 and the other xj6 Sovereign. Both were lovely to drive. But i'm older now and want something that is comfortable to drive, good on fuel and low running cost.

So performance is not an issue guys. So any tips on buying a second hand X-Type would be good thanx.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

If you are looking for comfort you should really go sit in the sport seats and compare them to the non sport seats. I personally love the sport seats which is why i bought the sport model. I do not know much about the diesel engines, but because they are not awd like the rest of the x-types I would assume they are much more reliable because the majority of problems stemming from the x-type are drivetrain related. I would just test drive the 2.2 and compare it to the 2.0. I would recommend the 2.2 however

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there, I see you're looking at 05/06 plate X types.....thats good.
the earlier ones ( I had an 02 2.5v6 ) had a few teething issues as the car was relatively new at that point. Most of these were well worked out and resolved by 04 and onwards, so thats all good.

For general X type queries, plesase check out the X type quick FAQ link thread....loads of info there.

The 2.0 diesel engine is a good workhorse, the 2.2 is great pushing out around 153bhp but with plenty of torque too.
A remap would see you around 185bhp - 190bhp and a quick car with great fuel economy.

If memory serves it uses the same 2.2 unit as in the Ford Mondeo ST Tdci ( I had one too......(( fabulous car )).....that engine rocked, solid and well tested, good for plenty of miles.

As its diesel you won't have AWD which isa shame cos its excellent, but, on the plus side you won't have the issues there either.

Hope to hear and good luck

Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Thanx disguay and Jim, I think I will take your advice and have a test drive in both 2.0 and 2.2 before buying one. I like the sports model and all the extras you can get. So I will be looking for a bargain.

Once I have sold my scooby which is very soon, and then all eyes open to find the best deal for my money.

Thanx again guys.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by M4GPR
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and from the UK. Thinking of buying a 2005/6 X-Type 2.0D Sport or 2.2D Sport I’m not too sure which one would be best. Is there anything I should look out for? I currently own a Subaru Impreza WRX, which I will be selling and then buy a Jag. Many thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Hiya, I purchased the 2.5L SE AWD 2007 6 months ago. I drive up and down the motorways pretty often and find the car a pleasure to drive. It is not an all out animal but imo delivers reasonable performance in lovely environment. I am returning 30mpg on average and pretty happy about this. Whether I drive 50 or 500 miles I get out of the car and feel as fresh as a daisy - especially with dodgy knees!!.

Whatever model you choose I am sure that the vehicle will give you a lot of joy and satisfaction. Just a word of warning, if you do decide to go for the 2.5L or 3.0L model the RFL is £445 PA!!

Good luck and happy hunting.