Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with changing out a wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with changing out a wheel bearing

Good evening everyone!

I bought my X-Type knowing that the passenger side wheel bearing was in need of replacement, so that's on the menu for tomorrow. Though, after starting the process this evening and looking through JTIS and reading the wonderful write up that was done on this process I have a couple quick questions.

1. JTIS mentions lowering the sub frame. That's not mentioned in the write-up Itmax did. Is it necessary or can I just use a ball join separator to pry the lower ball joint out of the knuckle?

2. Removing the tie rod end. Once I get the nut loosened the entire bolt wants to spin. Is there a trick to preventing this as there isn't enough room to grasp it with a pair of pliers.

I'm assuming that once I get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle everything should come apart fairly neatly. I appreciate any and all help!

Have a good evening guys!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

It takes a little more effort to pry the lower ball joint out with the subframe in place, but if you have to lower it, it's only 4 bolts on each side and you can leave it in place and just remove the bolts on the side your working on. If you need extra space you can loosen up the bolts on the opposite side but not take them out. To reinstall the subframe make sure it's in the right place by sticking a big pry bar or screwdriver in the alignment hole next to the rear bolts and wiggle it around to center it up while you're tightening it up.

The tie rod end can be loosened with an impact wrench, or open end wrench holding the shaft steady with another wrench or you can tap the tie rod down with a hammer as you're loosening it up to wedge it back in place while taking off the nut.

Recommend using a press to change them out if at all possible as the slide hammer method is not really good for the long term life of the bearings.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
dkisaacs (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ltmax
It takes a little more effort to pry the lower ball joint out with the subframe in place, but if you have to lower it, it's only 4 bolts on each side and you can leave it in place and just remove the bolts on the side your working on. If you need extra space you can loosen up the bolts on the opposite side but not take them out. To reinstall the subframe make sure it's in the right place by sticking a big pry bar or screwdriver in the alignment hole next to the rear bolts and wiggle it around to center it up while you're tightening it up.

The tie rod end can be loosened with an impact wrench, or open end wrench holding the shaft steady with another wrench or you can tap the tie rod down with a hammer as you're loosening it up to wedge it back in place while taking off the nut.

Recommend using a press to change them out if at all possible as the slide hammer method is not really good for the long term life of the bearings.

Good luck!
Thank you very much. I was hoping that lowering the subframe wasn't completely necessary. As it is, I think using a separator it will be possible to push the control arm down low enough to remove the ball joint. As for the tie rod end, I don't know why I didn't think about tapping it back into place with a hammer. Fresh set of "eyes" I suppose!

Any ways, thanks again for the write up you did! It has already been immensely helpful.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:06 PM

So, after having gotten the hub off. What was left of the bearing off of the hub, I'm stuck with the remaining part of the bearing trapped in the knuckle. Due to not being able to get my hands on a press, I'm stuck doing this with a slide hammer. After about an hour of going at the bearing with a slide hammer it has quite literally not moved. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:27 AM

I think you've got several options:

1. Get a bigger slide hammer.

2. Take the c/v halfshaft out and either use a dremel to grind a split in the bearing and use a chisel to break it so it will slide out or use a punch or very large socket to drive the outer race out from the back side.

Or if all else fails you can take it to a shop with a press.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Received 185 Likes on 149 Posts

You may find this useful.
Look around the 5 min mark.

The following users liked this post:
dkisaacs (06-25-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 09:47 PM

Well, after finally being able to get the lower ball joint out, I just took out the entire knuckle and took it to where I work and used their press. We have a 12 ton hydraulic press and after seeing what it took to get what was left of the bearing to break loose I feel kind of silly for even attempting to use a slide hammer. I would have never gotten that thing out with one. However, got it out and the new one pressed in pretty quickly afterwards. Everything back together and she's running like a dream again. If I never have to do that again, I will be quite happy!

Old 06-25-2015, 06:21 AM

Congratulations! Nice work