Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to identify Engine bay Big Red Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 08:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help to identify Engine bay Big Red Plug

Hello everyone,
I am currently solving some issues with my 2003 Jaguar X-type V6 2.5L Automatic Gearbox and i'd like your help to identify the following plug located under the fuse box.
According to the scheme, it seems to plug into a sensor but my source call it "yaw rate sensor". Wich in my opinion it is not the case since the yaw rate sensor is under the gearbox selector. Could you help me?
Thanks a lot.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Qryoz, could you give the wire colors that are going to that plug and potentially what pins they go to. That is probably going to be the easiest way to solve this and be sure of where it goes. Based on the size of the connector, I would think that it is a power plug that would plug into one of hte many spots on the underside of the fuse box right there. BUt, that is just a guess.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Qryoz, could you give the wire colors that are going to that plug and potentially what pins they go to. That is probably going to be the easiest way to solve this and be sure of where it goes. Based on the size of the connector, I would think that it is a power plug that would plug into one of hte many spots on the underside of the fuse box right there. BUt, that is just a guess.
I felt dumb so i disassembled the fuse box but i did not see anywhere i could plug it into.

But then i saw two holes that seems to indicate a missing piece at the right place to plug the thing.

Am i onto something?
As for the color if i remember well they are green/white, orange/green, orange/yellow and black. I give you a photo anyway:

Have a nice day

Old 12-10-2023, 07:33 AM

For more data, i plugged a cheap chineese obd bluetooth reader and i got the following codes:

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Jaguar
VIN: SAJAA51M43XD24648

============1==============
P1251
Raw code: 1251
ECU: 11
Statut: Temporaire
Air Mixture Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

============2==============
P1000
Raw code: 1000
OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

============3==============
P1603
Raw code: 1603
ECU: 18
Statut: Confirmé
EEPROM Malfunction

============4==============
P1647
Raw code: 1647

============5==============
P0560
Raw code: 0560
System voltage - malfunction

Last edited by Qryoz; 12-10-2023 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Removing duplicated code
Old 12-10-2023, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Qryoz, doing some looking, you have half of connector JB145. That connector should have another half floating around right there by the fuse box. The info that I have is not specific as to whether it is on the engine side or the wheel well side, but I would let the connector kinda fall into place and I would do a detailed look in that area. This is a mid-harness connector. So, it is not going to be attached to a component of the car. You are just going to have a bunch of wires running along with a connector in the middle. You may need to look down under where the connector that you have lays as the other side would then naturally hang below there. But, that connector should be there near the left front tire area.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:18 AM

If i understand this document, JB145 should be connected on the same harness than JB1. But i already have something connected there...

Old 12-10-2023, 10:24 AM

Here is a photo of what i believe is jb145
For the connector i'm searching, it kind of "naturally" falls in the left tire area but there is nothing i can find here to connect it, and more concerning, there is nothing in the document i have that suggest there should be a 8 way connector there. Maybe i am wrong...

Old 12-10-2023, 10:40 AM

This confuses me even more since there is no White/Blue wire on my connector...

Old 12-10-2023, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 758 Posts

Looks like JB171 to your front bumper cover - carries front fogs and marker lamps

The following 2 users liked this post by h2o2steam:
JPM2001 (06-24-2024), Qryoz (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 05:23 PM

Yes! The colors seems to match! I am on vacations away from home for a week but then i'll check on that. Thanks a lot, searching for JB171 i saw that my document did not mentionned it. So i looked on the internet and discovered that my data were too recent... I have found an older workshop manual.
I'll keep you updated.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:33 PM

What is more concerning is that the car is in limp mode and i really thought it was due to a missing sensor...
It's hard to think that could be caused by a missing lamp.
So i'll have to investigate on that.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:10 AM

Hello everyone and happy new year!
The missing parts was indeed the front fogs but now i am left with a bigger problem.
The car went on limp mode due to a gearbox failure (a crack due to overheating). The gearbox has been changed, along with the butterfly valve.
At this point the mecanic had other more important jobs and pretty much abandonned the work on the car so i took it home. With the data i had at this point i expected a minor electrical/captor issue to finish the job.
But i did not know i was looking at the wrong data sheets.
So giving the obd codes i provided earlier, does anybody knows what i should check in priority?
The only other informations i have is the "engine system fault" message and the fact that the battery got on low voltage then recharged with i think is responsible for one of the codes.

Old 01-12-2024, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

Well, because work has been done, I would say to first use your tool to clear all the codes and then start the car to get it up and running as best you can. Drive it around the block if you can, then retake the codes and post them here. Having a new gearbox in the car may be introducing some new error codes. The same thing can be said about the throttlebody.

Your engine fault may simply be a bad O2 sensor at this point (P1647), which can throw the car into limp mode. So, before we start chasing random stuff, lets see what you have now. I could easily say based on your old codes that your TCM is toast and to get a new one. I know not the words you would want to hear after replacing the tranny. hence why Isay to clear codes and see what comes back.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:39 AM

Well, I went to the car this morning to try. I cleared the codes aaannnd... jaguar not starting (not enough luv for bri'ish humour )
Which seems to be a feature
Jokes aside, i measured the battery at 11,64V. So i guess i'll have to find a way to charge it before inevitably having to replace it.
Before that i was always disconnecting the battery when i was not on the car but I suppose it wasn't enough.
For now i decided to let the battery connected and since i have to move i will measure again the voltage on Tuesday or Wednesday. There could be a short circuit somewere... I am really not far away from buying one of those tiny thermal modules to see if it glows somewhere it shouldn't
Does this car honk if the battery gets too low or is it fine? I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

Last edited by Qryoz; 01-13-2024 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:50 AM

Hello again.
I cleared the codes, and then i drived it for around 15 min to the roadworthiness center (and back as well).
Here are the codes that came back:

============1==============
P1251

============2==============
P1000
Raw code: 1000
OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

============3==============
P1603
Raw code: 1603
ECU: 18
EEPROM Malfunction

============4==============
P1647
Raw code: 1647

============5==============
P1251

Almost the same...

Old 01-23-2024, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

First, you have to have a good battery that is properly charged. After standing overnight, the battery voltage should be at least 12.45v.
Here is the Jaguar readout for P1251

Looks like you still have problems with your throttle motor, or its relay, its fuses or its ground connection.
Your electrical diagrams and their data pages will tell you where everything is and what the wire colours are.
Engine faults can require Limp Mode and, sometimes, gearbox fault messages

Last edited by astromorg; 01-23-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

P1603 may be caused by disconnecting the battery and may well clear I think but I noticed you have the dreaded P1647 which would indicate a problem with upstream o2 sensor bank 2. Been a while since we did mine but pretty sure that's the one under the air box which is easier to get at.
If you change it make sure to use oem from Denso as aftermarket ones can sometimes not work.

Old 06-24-2024, 06:26 AM

Hello again. After a long period and sime important events I'm finally back at it. I face a new problem : despite having the correct bit (T30 security torx), i have finished to round the ECU plug screw. So 2 questions: what would be the best way to remove it and more importantly, how do i find a replacement screw (or multiples since I have lost various screws for the front bumper or various plastic covers but i don't have the references)?

Old 06-24-2024, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Check out: Loss Prevention Fasteners | Anti Theft Screws For License Plate

That will have what you are after.

Old 06-24-2024, 11:17 AM

Perfect, i thought it was maybe a specific screw but if it's a regular security torx then i will find locally what i need without problem.

Quick Reply: Help to identify Engine bay Big Red Plug