X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get the best deal on this 06 VDP

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010 | 02:39 PM
|

It is a 2007 Ford Fusion SEL w/ 48,000+ miles. No leather, no sunroof, no SYNC.

In Good condition. Nothing's ripped, torn, out of place, or damaged. There is one little exterior flaw one of the door pillars, but very minor. I had some light collision work done on the right rear a year ago.

I also replaced and added few things as well--a custom lip spoiler, lower springs, brake pads, shock/strut, and 35% tint.

I would assume I could get around $10,000 for it from a dealer. Maybe $11,500 privately.

Old 07-14-2010 | 02:51 PM
ud

Manheim Market Report for a 4 cylinder 07 Fusion SEL with those miles is 10,100. You should expect 9-9500 for it on trade in. Remember the dealer has to transport it to the auction and condition it for sale.

Old 07-14-2010 | 02:57 PM
|

Maybe I should aim high with my trade-in offer..

Oh, stupid question (I haven't had to do a dealer trade-in before): Should I worry about trying to clean the car out before I trade it in or should I just have them deal with it?

Old 07-14-2010 | 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
You probably bought your X-Type when it was new, though...
True. I bought mine new. The point I was making is that if I bought a used 07, or any car I'd buy it with warranty. I like the assurance.

As for the 07, I simply love the car! The maintenance cost has been so low that I am thinking of getting the dealer install the lower mesh grill.

Old 07-14-2010 | 05:21 PM

Oh, stupid question (I haven't had to do a dealer trade-in before): Should I worry about trying to clean the car out before I trade it in or should I just have them deal with it?
I would have it look clean when you bring it in for them to see it.. I think it would show that you take care of it.

When I went to get my X, my previous car (Mazda Protege MP3) was immaculate inside and out. And I got more then a fair price for it.

Old 07-14-2010 | 06:48 PM
|

Originally Posted by aluni2230
True. I bought mine new. The point I was making is that if I bought a used 07, or any car I'd buy it with warranty. I like the assurance.
I was just emphasizing the fact that you shouldn't have expected to run into much trouble, especially if you bought the car new.

Old 07-14-2010 | 08:16 PM
|

Here's an update.

I got a call from Royal Oak Ford concerning this:

Sales price = $19,995

My original offer:
$16,250 + tax and title with $3000 down payment + trade-in (2007 Ford Fusion SEL w/ 48,000 miles).

Today, I sent them a message telling them that I was still interested and I wanted to get some more information concerning extended warranty rates.

They left me a message on my phone today saying that they want me to come in to negotiate warranty prices, trade-in, and a sales price (they said they might be willing to settle on a price somewhere in the middle; actual median price = $18,122).

I bet they're desperate because it seems like this Jaguar has been on their lot for quite a while now. If I can negotiate an rear spoiler, ACM, and extended warranty for $19,250 all in I might be good to go.

I'll sleep on it...I'm kinda conflicted about possibly passing up on the Nav and Alpine audio on the VDP....

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 07-14-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2010 | 09:39 PM

This one seems too good to be true... 2006,32k miles, with navi and alpine.. $10,499

http://www.giuffrekia.com/vehicle.asp?v=944979

And its listed on CL too..

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ctd/1839160203.html

Old 07-14-2010 | 09:53 PM
ud

You could aim high but that's where reality sets in for the dealer. Most cars at new car dealers of this price are marked up 3-5k over what they have in it. This is your wiggle room. They will try to confuse you by ta;king different numbers like buy it for list but we'll give you 10500 for your car. Most people at this point would say yes because their car was only worth 9500 trade in value so assuming the dealer had the car marked up 4k they just made 3k on the car and the buyer left happy and lighter in the pocket book.

Now I'm one who is a realist. I want what I know the car is worth to them minus any prep work and transport to sell it. Then we can talk price. The business manager sees they are getting the trade (i.e. headache for dealers unless it is a car they will resell on the lot for what they know they can break even on). As for the selling price, you want them to see that they are making a reasonable profit so they'll bite.
If I was going in there (which I wouldn't waste my money on a used 07 to begin with as it is still in depriciation free fall) but that's another story and I'm cheap. Remember they're asking 6000 more than I paid for a nearly perfect 03 XJR with 17k more miles and a set of winter tires and wheels to boot! No, I didn't get a warranty either though but am quite confident in my skills to do a once over on most any car. Anyways I'd go in there and say, my car has a MMR of 10100 for an average conditioned Fusion SEL. I rhink trade in value for this car would be $9500. I'll gladly take the car for 2k less than list provided it comes with a very good extended warranty (not a crappy dealer bought warranty from a warranty company as those are pretty much useless if you read the fine print). Without the warranty which you can buy for less anyways on your own your looking at 3k less then their list. Provided they have it priced as most dealers do this will be a "fair" deal for them and a very good deal for you provided it is what you want and realize that it will be worth quite a bit less a year from now.
This is a good starting deal. As for the spoiler and other crap your talking about, forget about it at this point. You don't want to pay intrest on this crap anyways. If they make a reasonable counter offer. This would be the time to get it added in there. Say sure that price sounds good to me but I want this added to the car before pick up. Usually they don't want to do the work as it takes time to order, paint and install it anyways and would rather get the car out the door now so they can get something else in its place but that's how I ended up with dealer installed hitches on 3 of my cars.

If they don't like your offer or don't counter offer then go home and wait for them to call. Forget about it and start looking for another one in the mean time. 9 out of 10 times they'll call with a reasonable offer before the end of the day as a sale in which they make money is always better then no sale.

Old 07-14-2010 | 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pete04xtype
This one seems too good to be true... 2006,32k miles, with navi and alpine.. $10,499

http://www.giuffrekia.com/vehicle.asp?v=944979

And its listed on CL too..

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ctd/1839160203.html
This is an awesome deal! Looks like they are willing to negotiate.....

Old 07-15-2010 | 03:46 AM
|

Originally Posted by aluni2230
This is an awesome deal! Looks like they are willing to negotiate.....
I guess the lack of the shift knob has made people lost interest?

Old 07-15-2010 | 05:59 AM
|

Originally Posted by benebob
If I was going in there (which I wouldn't waste my money on a used 07 to begin with as it is still in depriciation free fall) but that's another story and I'm cheap.
Whoa whoa. This is NOT another story. Do you happen to know its depreciation rate? Is it high especially for the 07?

I'll gladly take the car for 2k less than list provided it comes with a very good extended warranty (not a crappy dealer bought warranty from a warranty company as those are pretty much useless if you read the fine print). Without the warranty which you can buy for less anyways on your own your looking at 3k less then their list.
What do you mean buy a warranty on my own? From where?

Old 07-15-2010 | 08:25 AM
ud

Whoa whoa. This is NOT another story. Do you happen to know its depreciation rate? Is it high especially for the 07?

What do you mean buy a warranty on my own? From where?
The depriciation rate is extremely high for any Jaguar and almost every lux car in the world. I was shocked how high the depriciation rate was for your Fusion though. Just dumped my wifes 03 Legacy GT wagon with similar milege for more than your 07 Fusion was worth (and it went to a dealer). Do an internet search on auto warranties, there are a ton of companies selling them. Same companies the dealers buy them from then charge you the cost plus commission.

Old 07-15-2010 | 09:27 AM
|

The depriciation rate is extremely high for any Jaguar and almost every lux car in the world. I was shocked how high the depriciation rate was for your Fusion though. Just dumped my wifes 03 Legacy GT wagon with similar milege for more than your 07 Fusion was worth (and it went to a dealer). Do an internet search on auto warranties, there are a ton of companies selling them. Same companies the dealers buy them from then charge you the cost plus commission.
Yeah, the last gen Fusions depreciate fast, but compared to its price among other economy mid-size sedans, it's not too bad. The 2010+ models on the other hand are doing a lot better though.

Now, if I get a warranty from somewhere else, do I have to get it immediately after purchasing the car or...?

Old 07-15-2010 | 09:41 AM
|

I'll gladly take the car for 2k less than list provided it comes with a very good extended warranty (not a crappy dealer bought warranty from a warranty company as those are pretty much useless if you read the fine print). Without the warranty which you can buy for less anyways on your own your looking at 3k less then their list.
The dealer for the 06 VDP offered a 2 yr/60,000 mile warranty for only $1,600. Is that good or bad and how would I know if it's useless?

Old 07-15-2010 | 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

What company is it through?

You should read the entire warranty, fine print and all, as well as the claims process. Often the warranties are offered at different levels - find out which level this is.

I had a Primus care warranty (same company that does Ford warranties and Jaguar CPO, etc) and never really had any issues getting them to cover anything when i went through the Jaguar dealer for service. It was a 5 year 75k.

Make sure you get them to write on the warranty exactly when it expires, both for mileage and date.

It's a crapshoot for the most part, if you think that you'll go through $1,600 in repairs in the next 2 years or 18k miles or so, then might be worth it. I'd probably pass though and roll the dice. But that's just me.

Old 07-15-2010 | 10:54 AM

In general depreciation for luxury cars tend to be steep and the higher end models tend to depreciate faster. The Mercedes S Class is an exception to an extent.

I used to own a 1999 Acura GSR Sedan. It had 100K miles on it. I had bought it for $21K new. I sold it in Feb of 2010 for $6000! The amazing thing is that I got offers within minutes of posting an ad and it was sold in a matter of hours!

I can see that 2001 XJ Vanden Plas are selling for $6K! BMW 7 series can be had for not a lot more than that!

Cost of maintaining an Acura GSR v. Jaguar X Type? So far, the trend is in favor of the x type. Genuine parts on the GSR were very expensive!

But on the other extreme, I bought my iphone 3GS for $199 and one year later was able able to sell it for almost $400! Again, sold within a day!!!! How does a phone appreciate in value? I used the proceeds to get an iphone 4....basically for free!

The secondary market often does not make sense.

back to topic. I'd suggest any warranty that allows you to take your car to any Jaguar dealer.

Old 07-15-2010 | 10:58 AM

I guess the lack of the shift knob has made people lost interest?
Might be a bait and switch. I've experienced them on CL. Also, there could be other problems with the car (i.e. mechanical). Remember this is not being sold by a jag dealer so it hasn't gone through the select warranty checks. In all seriousness if you're looking for a longer term purchase I'd stay away from such places - but that's just me. I am conservative when it comes to buying durables.

Old 07-15-2010 | 12:57 PM
|

Ok, I'm gonna stand by an offer and submit them to both dealers:

-$17,995 price including a minimum 2 year/60,000mi extended warranty acceptable at any Jaguar dealer; + tax/title.

Should be just under $19.5k all in

If they don't like it, then so be it.

Old 07-15-2010 | 01:00 PM

Ok, I'm gonna stand by an offer and submit them to both dealers:

-$17,995 price including a minimum 2 year/60,000mi extended warranty acceptable at any Jaguar dealer; + tax/title.

Should be just under $19.5k all in

If they don't like it, then so be it.
Hope it works out, seems realistic to me.. Keep us posted on what they say..

Quick Reply: Help me get the best deal on this 06 VDP