X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me please! X-Type turning off at 1500 revvs, disconnected wire??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me please! X-Type turning off at 1500 revvs, disconnected wire??

Hi there,

Last Saturday I took my 2003 X-Type 2.0D SE Manual to my local garage to replace the clutch, release bearing (slave cylinder) and dual mass flywheel.

Once they changed everything, they realised that inside the car the clutch pedal went upwards. So the guy spent a couple of hours trying to fix that and apparently the steering column or something came off so he had to connect that. Anyway in the process, the guy damaged a white plastic clip (fork shaped) which is attached under the clutch pedal on the master slave cylinder, he temporarily glued it together until he ordered a replacement. He also managed to somehow break the metal bracket which holds the brake light switch, so the break light was staying on. Anyway he welded that back on and it was fine. Once he put all back together it seemed fine, although sometimes when pressing the clutch, it would click due to that repaired plastic bit but was still working fine. When I turned the car on I realised it said cruise unavailable but that message disappeared and I forgot about it. Anyway that night I drove home fine, car was driving fast as usual.

So the next morning when I got into the car I started driving off and the car kept shutting off at 2000 RPM, whatever gear, just jerked and stopped, even in neutral gear. OK, the car was still driveable but just slowly, I had to change gears really quickly and could drive it as long as I did not go past 2000 rpm. Also when changing from gear 1 to 2, and 2 to 3, it seemed when I release the throttle and press the clutch, the car would slightly rev and when I went to next gear and released the clutch and put back the throttle, it felt like a slight wheelspin??

I managed to get a hold of a Jaguar technician on the phone who I told what happened to and he said that it could be that the clip is causing it as it has been repaired and there may be play in there which is why it is clicking and maybe not sending the right information somewhere. Also he said maybe the cruise control cancellation switch may have been knocked or damaged and making these things happen.

Any way I don’t understand why those would cause these problems; I mean even when I am in neutral gear and rev the car stops. So i’m not even touching the clutch?
Jaguar also told me that that little plastic bit attached to the master slave cylinder is only available with the whole master slave cylinder and you couldn’t buy it separate. It is only about 1.5 inches long and half an inch wide, like a fork shape. Does anybody know where I could get one of these clips on its own in the UK??
So I went to a dual carriage to test the cruise control. I had to gain a bit of speed slowly and HEY the cruise control isn’t working anymore!

Anyway I took the car back to the garage who looked thoroughly down the pedal section and everything was connected fine and all the sensors, brake light one and the green cruise control one was there in the right place, just a repaired white little clip, which I really really do not think has anything to do with any of this other than causing a slight clicking sound sometimes when the clutch is clicked and maybe the slight revving when clutch pressed.

Anyway he then took the car on the ramp and opened up a few things, put them back etc and kept testing it, the car kept shutting off at 2000 rpm. He also realised that there is a live wire loose and cannot find where it connects to (See pics). He took lots of things apart and looked from underneath and from the top. Also other technicians from neighbouring garages looked for ages and couldn’t for the life of them find out where it connects to. As you can see in the picture it is obvious it connects to somewhere, it is even live because he tested it with a current checker or whatever you call it. He admits taking it off when taking the car apart for the clutch and flywheel but can’t find where this connects to now. Anyway since he put everything else back now the problem is worse, the car cuts out at 1500 rpm,!!! This is almost undrivable, it takes skill and a lot of horning from other drivers trust me. Anyway after several hours I have to go obviously until they said they check out another jag or mondeo to see where this connects to.

Does anyone know where this goes? And also does anyone know if by this being disconnected it could cut off the engine when revving and also stop the cruise control from working?
If you look in the picture, one of them shows it’s plugged into that rubber hole, the garage guy recons it was like that and was connected to a wire through that hole, i.e. the other wire connected to it from underneath that hole.
Anyway I can’t wait for him to find out what this is, someone must know please please.
Also about that white clip?
Please check the images on the below link.

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

Last edited by monz87; 04-17-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Someone must know what this wire is of where it connects..? I don't know if its there on petrol or auto models but someone here must have a diesel right?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

MOnz, it sounds like you are in quite the pickle. First off, I would drop off the car to the mechanic and tell him that since he messed up the car, he needs to make it right. From what I can tell, you gave it to him in decent condition (barring the initial problem for why you were there). If the mechanic is going to be breaking parts and forgetting to reconnect plugs, then that is his problem. Any mechanic worth his word would make this right, no questions asked. Keeping a working relationship with the mechanic is desireable, but there comes a time when you may have to force the issue and simply state that if he can't fix it, then you are taking it to another shop to have them fix it on his wallet. If things really go down hill, I see this being an easy one to win in small claims court.

As for the plug, I would be looking down on the tranny to see what is missing a connector. I wish I had my JTIS with me as I would look up the two wires and see what they went to. BUt, being on travel, I don't have the diagrams with me.

As for the new clip, I would be calling around to all the wrecking yards in your area and seeing if they have any Modeos or X-Types sitting there. Probably be a hell of a lot cheaper to even pick up the whole unit than it would be to get a new assembly from Jag.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
MOnz, it sounds like you are in quite the pickle. First off, I would drop off the car to the mechanic and tell him that since he messed up the car, he needs to make it right. From what I can tell, you gave it to him in decent condition (barring the initial problem for why you were there). If the mechanic is going to be breaking parts and forgetting to reconnect plugs, then that is his problem. Any mechanic worth his word would make this right, no questions asked. Keeping a working relationship with the mechanic is desireable, but there comes a time when you may have to force the issue and simply state that if he can't fix it, then you are taking it to another shop to have them fix it on his wallet. If things really go down hill, I see this being an easy one to win in small claims court.

As for the plug, I would be looking down on the tranny to see what is missing a connector. I wish I had my JTIS with me as I would look up the two wires and see what they went to. BUt, being on travel, I don't have the diagrams with me.

As for the new clip, I would be calling around to all the wrecking yards in your area and seeing if they have any Modeos or X-Types sitting there. Probably be a hell of a lot cheaper to even pick up the whole unit than it would be to get a new assembly from Jag.
The problem is, I know the owner of the garage so it has become difficult for me to make it a huge deal, trust me, had it been anyone else I would have. His mechanic seems to have done everything he could. Also I dont really want to leave the car there anyway so I drove it home, any progress they will call me anyway. I have a feeling even that loose wire wont fix it for some reason, bare in mind the cruise control isnt working aswell, I just think that must be the cruise control wire, as the day my clutch and flywheel were changed, I did manage to drive it home, so with that wire loose it was driving..
I will ultimately have it taken to JAG at their expense sometime this week if they cant fix it.

Anyway someone else must have JTIS right..?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry man don't have JTIS loaded, I'll go down to my car later and have a look for you. Seems like its a short wire so the connection must be right there.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Sorry man don't have JTIS loaded, I'll go down to my car later and have a look for you. Seems like its a short wire so the connection must be right there.
I have that connector, but it is plugged into a dummy connection on the rear of the battery box. There is no connection being made to any other component.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 PM

I think that this wire doesnt really connect to anything, I posted on another forum and someone also said it connects to the battery box and said the car drives fine without it connected. I forgot to mention that the garage put the car on a diagnostics machine and it read out 2 faults. No one really thought anything of it as everyone has their eyes on that loose wire. But after some digging around today it seems very relevant;

P0234 Turbo/Supercharger overboost condition
P0355 Crankshaft position sensor A circuit. Crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. /Use crankshaft position sensor circuit fault.

Also what about the cruise control not working?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by monz87
I think that this wire doesnt really connect to anything, I posted on another forum and someone also said it connects to the battery box and said the car drives fine without it connected. I forgot to mention that the garage put the car on a diagnostics machine and it read out 2 faults. No one really thought anything of it as everyone has their eyes on that loose wire. But after some digging around today it seems very relevant;

P0234 Turbo/Supercharger overboost condition
P0355 Crankshaft position sensor A circuit. Crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. /Use crankshaft position sensor circuit fault.

Also what about the cruise control not working?
What, the Supercharger is over boosting??? That's serious. Just kidding couldn't resist.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like they really messed things up in there... Unfortunately, I can't help with that but for the cruise not available... I'd bet money that it's doing that as part of the limp mode.

Our cars are designed to go into limp mode when there is a problem to prevent further damage. Whenever mine has done this, it reads out "Cruise Not Available" and retards the timing. Strangely enough though, on mine the cruise still works when I get this message. Perhaps with other problems, like yours, it will not.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by stshots
Sounds like they really messed things up in there... Unfortunately, I can't help with that but for the cruise not available... I'd bet money that it's doing that as part of the limp mode.

Our cars are designed to go into limp mode when there is a problem to prevent further damage. Whenever mine has done this, it reads out "Cruise Not Available" and retards the timing. Strangely enough though, on mine the cruise still works when I get this message. Perhaps with other problems, like yours, it will not.
But is it in limp mode though? Because I thought in safe mode you can still drive the car with reduced power

Old 04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

But is it in limp mode though? Because I thought in safe mode you can still drive the car with reduced power
In an auto, safe mode puts you in 4th gear and that's it, so you're very limited to speed, and if you continue for any length of time in limp mode (or at least in my experience) systems start shutting down. In a manual I would guess limp mode would be restricting your RPM.

As for knowing the owner of the garqage I'd still insist on them fixing the car, obviously the mechanic is no mechanic having busted several things on your car while attempting to fix it. I would leave the car and keys there, insist on a loaner car and not return until it is in the condition and drivability that it was upon entering. Clearly when they replaced the clutch they inadvertantly unplugged something.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
In an auto, safe mode puts you in 4th gear and that's it, so you're very limited to speed, and if you continue for any length of time in limp mode (or at least in my experience) systems start shutting down. In a manual I would guess limp mode would be restricting your RPM...
I've had my car in limp mode several times due to a knock sensor and not once have I been stuck in 4th. I have an auto trans and it shifted just fine... Simply stated, it always retards the timing and governs the engine at 3k RPM.

Is it possible to assume that depending on what engine malfunction the car is expiriencing that it could behave differently? I would dare say yes...

Sidwalkman, if you've been stuck in 4th, I've had timing retarded at 3k and this particular car can't exceed 2k RPM without shutting down, Then I'd venture to say that there could be quite a variance in "Limp Mode" and what it is doing in responce to the malfunction.

Either that, or the Jaguar engineers are having a beer laughing at all of us right now who are trying to figure it out...

Old 04-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stshots
I've had my car in limp mode several times due to a knock sensor and not once have I been stuck in 4th. I have an auto trans and it shifted just fine... Simply stated, it always retards the timing and governs the engine at 3k RPM.

Is it possible to assume that depending on what engine malfunction the car is expiriencing that it could behave differently? I would dare say yes...

Sidwalkman, if you've been stuck in 4th, I've had timing retarded at 3k and this particular car can't exceed 2k RPM without shutting down, Then I'd venture to say that there could be quite a variance in "Limp Mode" and what it is doing in responce to the malfunction.

Either that, or the Jaguar engineers are having a beer laughing at all of us right now who are trying to figure it out...
How weird is that. My limp mode and it was all from a bunch of gearbox faults was 4th gear only, didn't matter which gear I selected. So figure what starting from a dead stop in 4th is like, but didn't limit my RPM at all. I drove 65 mph on the hwy to get to the dealership. But as I said the further I went the more systems went into fault. By the time I went the 35KM to the dealership every light was lit on the dash and every guage from the speedo and tach to gas and temp were dead. The only light not on was the red oil light...seriously!!!

PS Nice having another Scott here

Scott

Old 04-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=sidewalkman;So figure what starting from a dead stop in 4th is like

Scott[/QUOTE]

You can't start from a dead stop in 4th. The engine will stall. It would be the same as putting an manual transmission in 4th and trying to start off from a stop--the engine will stall.

Engine limp mode limits the RPMs to about 2800. As long as you do not hammer on the gas you will be able to shift throught the gears and cruise at highway speed--70mph. But step on the gas and bring the RPMs up to 2800 and the car will nose over--this will happen in any gear.

I belive there is also another limp mode triggered by a gearbox fault. This keeps the tranmission in 2nd gear and the car moves like a slug! I may be wrong on this one so perhaps someone else will chime in. I am quite sure on the engine limp mode and not being able to stat off in any car in 4th gear.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Not helping much with the limp modes but I can bet you that the "loose" wire does actually connect to the back of your battery box. Right of center near the lid you'll find a slot for it. It doesn't however serve any current purpose. It was used in shipping to isolate the disconnected battery.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...does-go-36626/

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-18-2014)
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JagXV6
You can't start from a dead stop in 4th. The engine will stall. It would be the same as putting an manual transmission in 4th and trying to start off from a stop--the engine will stall.

Engine limp mode limits the RPMs to about 2800. As long as you do not hammer on the gas you will be able to shift throught the gears and cruise at highway speed--70mph. But step on the gas and bring the RPMs up to 2800 and the car will nose over--this will happen in any gear.

I belive there is also another limp mode triggered by a gearbox fault. This keeps the transmission in 2nd gear and the car moves like a slug! I may be wrong on this one so perhaps someone else will chime in. I am quite sure on the engine limp mode and not being able to stat off in any car in 4th gear.
Let’s also not forget that this particular car is a diesel... Diesels rev much lower than gasoline engines... I would bet that the limp mode RPM governor on a diesel is 2k. With a crankshaft trouble code, it has to be trying to protect the engine.
I would look into the location of that sensor and see if they messed it up.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagXV6

I belive there is also another limp mode triggered by a gearbox fault. This keeps the tranmission in 2nd gear and the car moves like a slug! I may be wrong on this one so perhaps someone else will chime in. I am quite sure on the engine limp mode and not being able to stat off in any car in 4th gear.
I'll try not to take offence that you are calling me either a liar or an idiot. I've driven and raced cars and motorcycles for 35 years. I've rebuilt more cars than most people have owned.

When I say the my car in limp mode is 4th gear it means exactly that! As a matter of fact when it went in limp mode it would slip from whatever gear it was in into 4th. I could start but it took forever from a stop but it seriously felt like the car was dieing but it would go. It was not limited to 2800 RPM because I took it on the hwy in 4th gear. I took it to an independant transmission shop I've dealt with and they test drove it the first time it happened and thought the shift mechanism was pooched because it was suck in 4th gear. I had it not once, not twice, not three times but 4 times in the dealership under warranty because when it got the gearbox fault it was IN 4TH GEAR. The dealership said that was limp home mode. End of story.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Cool

Hi there,

Last Saturday I took my 2003 X-Type 2.0D SE Manual to my local garage to replace the clutch, release bearing (slave cylinder) and dual mass flywheel.

Once they changed everything, they realised that inside the car the clutch pedal went upwards. So the guy spent a couple of hours trying to fix that and apparently the steering column or something came off so he had to connect that. Anyway in the process, the guy damaged a white plastic clip (fork shaped) which is attached under the clutch pedal on the master slave cylinder, he temporarily glued it together until he ordered a replacement. He also managed to somehow break the metal bracket which holds the brake light switch, so the break light was staying on. Anyway he welded that back on and it was fine. Once he put all back together it seemed fine, although sometimes when pressing the clutch, it would click due to that repaired plastic bit but was still working fine. When I turned the car on I realised it said cruise unavailable but that message disappeared and I forgot about it. Anyway that night I drove home fine, car was driving fast as usual.

So the next morning when I got into the car I started driving off and the car kept shutting off at 2000 RPM, whatever gear, just jerked and stopped, even in neutral gear. OK, the car was still driveable but just slowly, I had to change gears really quickly and could drive it as long as I did not go past 2000 rpm. Also when changing from gear 1 to 2, and 2 to 3, it seemed when I release the throttle and press the clutch, the car would slightly rev and when I went to next gear and released the clutch and put back the throttle, it felt like a slight wheelspin??

I managed to get a hold of a Jaguar technician on the phone who I told what happened to and he said that it could be that the clip is causing it as it has been repaired and there may be play in there which is why it is clicking and maybe not sending the right information somewhere. Also he said maybe the cruise control cancellation switch may have been knocked or damaged and making these things happen.

Any way I don’t understand why those would cause these problems; I mean even when I am in neutral gear and rev the car stops. So i’m not even touching the clutch?
Jaguar also told me that that little plastic bit attached to the master slave cylinder is only available with the whole master slave cylinder and you couldn’t buy it separate. It is only about 1.5 inches long and half an inch wide, like a fork shape. Does anybody know where I could get one of these clips on its own in the UK??
So I went to a dual carriage to test the cruise control. I had to gain a bit of speed slowly and HEY the cruise control isn’t working anymore!

Anyway I took the car back to the garage who looked thoroughly down the pedal section and everything was connected fine and all the sensors, brake light one and the green cruise control one was there in the right place, just a repaired white little clip, which I really really do not think has anything to do with any of this other than causing a slight clicking sound sometimes when the clutch is clicked and maybe the slight revving when clutch pressed.

Anyway he then took the car on the ramp and opened up a few things, put them back etc and kept testing it, the car kept shutting off at 2000 rpm. He also realised that there is a live wire loose and cannot find where it connects to (See pics). He took lots of things apart and looked from underneath and from the top. Also other technicians from neighbouring garages looked for ages and couldn’t for the life of them find out where it connects to. As you can see in the picture it is obvious it connects to somewhere, it is even live because he tested it with a current checker or whatever you call it. He admits taking it off when taking the car apart for the clutch and flywheel but can’t find where this connects to now. Anyway since he put everything else back now the problem is worse, the car cuts out at 1500 rpm,!!! This is almost undrivable, it takes skill and a lot of horning from other drivers trust me. Anyway after several hours I have to go obviously until they said they check out another jag or mondeo to see where this connects to.

Does anyone know where this goes? And also does anyone know if by this being disconnected it could cut off the engine when revving and also stop the cruise control from working?
If you look in the picture, one of them shows it’s plugged into that rubber hole, the garage guy recons it was like that and was connected to a wire through that hole, i.e. the other wire connected to it from underneath that hole.
Anyway I can’t wait for him to find out what this is, someone must know please please.
Also about that white clip?
Please check the images on the below link.

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

Hang in there! Stu