X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed disassembling the X-Type 2006 interior !

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help needed disassembling the X-Type 2006 interior !

Hello, dear enthusiasts ! I'm making some improvements with my X-types audio system but I encountered a problem with disassembling the interior: I'm planning about adding a subwoofer & amplifier to the trunk of the car, but have found no instructions how to disassemble the sidepanels underneath doors & front and backseat without breaking any attachment clips etc, so that I could hide the RCA- and powercables behind them.

Is there something I should take care of before starting to disassemble ( I've read that for example, clips on the door panels usually always break when taking them off so it would be good to buy some new clips in advance)

Couple of pics related to make it more clear what panels I'm talking about. And yeah, the car is dirty at the moment, I'll do some major cleaning after these muddy weathers come to an end

Attached Thumbnails Help needed disassembling the X-Type 2006  interior !-gopr2170-korostettu.jpg   Help needed disassembling the X-Type 2006  interior !-gopr2171-korostettu.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I highly suggest using the shifter area and console to move the cables to the back of the car. LOTS more room!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:33 AM

Thanks for quick reply wa3ra ! I have no doubt that there is lots more room on the shifter area, but I'm running the amps main power cable from the battery, so I think that for such a thick cable, it would be easiest to try to make it go as straight as possible, to the trunk. I think I'll start working with it on weekend, and if the door sills seem to be too hard to remove, I'll try the console area. I need to find the easiest way to remove the back seat cushion, I have read that it's only a matter of pushing it hard back and lifting up at the same time, but as I tried it once, feels like its welded or something

Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 AM

That thick cable is exactly the issue; there isn't actually a lot of room for the power cable under the edge of the escutcheons; I had a hard time trying to run a coaxial cable that way for a two-way V/UHF two-way, so I talked to the factory people. They use the tunnel to run the RF and power leads, plus the optical and control lines for the nav system are run that way already.

Access is easy, move the seats back, and at knee level, you will see the single screw that holds the side wall of the tunnel on; remove the screw, then carefully pull the wall towards you; it is held in place by several clips, and it will pop right off. You'll see the wire route clearly, and the firewall has a grommet in place at the front.

Overall, it will add about 18-20 inches of power lead to the run.

The following users liked this post:
Pokka (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 AM

Wow, that was the most specific answer I have got so far, sounds like I'll save some nerves and go with the tunnel. Thank you wa3ra !

Old 03-31-2016, 02:23 PM

Actually, thank the engineers at Jag for that!

I swapped in a later model console over the weekend and I was blown away by the room under there.

If you don't have nav in your car, you will also find the pre-wired connectors and lines for them running back into the trunk at the back of the console.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by wa3ra
Actually, thank the engineers at Jag for that!

I swapped in a later model console over the weekend and I was blown away by the room under there.

Updating... Today I disassembled the center console / shifter area & backseats, and only thing in my mind is that where was that plenty of space supposed to be... The floormat / interior mat / carpet / material was the biggest problem, as its' inner surface is treated with urethane or something similar, so it's quite molded in a shape of the floor and very difficult to get any space under it, so I could run some kind of stiff wire or something similar that I could use to pull the RCA and power cable through, under the carpet. Also, I didnt find any grommet under the hood, or at the inside of the cockpit, that would be suitable for running the power cable through. Every damn place is too full of stuff, and too hard to get any extra gap anywhere, so after couple of hours of losing my nerves, getting cuts on my hands, F'ing up the underparts of my fingernails with some thin panels / screws and clips etc, I decided that I'll just run the RCA cable under the passenger side door sills and backseat, and the main power cable will come from under the car, through the grommet of fuel tank sensor. I just need to get to a car elevator & make a good protective pipe for the cable, I think garden hose would be fine...

Only things I got to my mind after fighting couple of hours with the backseats and interior, all for nothing, was that this must be one reason why there are wars in the world. And second thing, I'm very glad that I took a cola bottle with me to garage instead of a beercan, I got so mad that I think at the moment I would be so drunk that I wouldn't be able to drive to work tomorrow, morning shift... Whoah. I'm confused. Nothing positive to say at the moment :'D

Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 PM

I wonder if they changed the layout through the years? My apologies for your layout not being what I had. I pulled a small tube through with a flat fish tape along the existing lines, and passed the control, audio, and rf cables through that, but even with my fat hands, I only bled a little. I actually did not pull the seat or the console the first time; the side panels on the console pull off, and the fish tape passed under the seat.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:31 AM

I wonder if they changed the layout through the years?
I was thinking about the same... My X is year 2006, 2.0D. Now, when thinking afterwards, the disassembly was so frustrating that actually it makes me take it with humour Today I'm gonna hide the RCA cable and put the ground wire on the chassis of the trunk, so it would all be ready for getting that main power cable & adding the subwoofer enclosure

Old 04-05-2016, 08:50 AM

Wow...you know what I forgot to ask...is your Jag right-hand or left-hand drive?

I'll bet that is the difference!

Old 04-05-2016, 01:23 PM

Wow...you know what I forgot to ask...is your Jag right-hand or left-hand drive?

I'll bet that is the difference!
It's left-hand drive as I live in Finland. I tried to look from the passenger side firewall also, but couldnt find any grommets that would be suitable for the cable... Today I put on the RCA the ground cables and I'm quite satisfied how easy and "invisible" job it was - RCA went easily under the door sills, and I found a good, unpainted welded M6 -nut under the trunks floormat, where I attached the ground wire.

The following users liked this post:
wa3ra (04-07-2016)