X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!! no power

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! no power

Please can anybody help or shed any light?

I have an X type 2.0 Diesel (04) Last night it decided that it didn't want to play ball any more. After about 10 miles driving normally, if I gave the car any more than the merest hint of throttle it stifled the engine and wouldn't do any more revs. No lights up on the dashboard, but the engine temperature was lower than normal.

As you can imagine rather fun at a roundabout where it first started.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: help!! no power

Do you have fuel? Does it crank? does it idle?? So many questions, so little time...

Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  6.0 KB

Lol.............I think racer is asking if you have any more info jms so that we might be able to better understand

Jim

Old 11-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Jimbo! how the hell are ya mate??!!! Been a while...how's it hanging??

Old 11-12-2008, 11:45 PM

Sorry not to have been more definitive.[sm=oopssign.gif] Basically the jag starts and runs as normal, it does have fuel (almost a full tank) although I did fill up at a supermarket that I have avoided since last year because I am now not sure that every little but helped.[:'(]. It idles normally and then runs as normal. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, suddenly when I put my foot down there is no power, nothing happens except the engine tone changes to a sort of strangled sound and there is no increase in revs or power. None of the dashboard lights come on; the only thing that s noticeable is that the temperature gauge is sitting around the quarter mark. Overall I do wonder if it is something to do with the much colder ambient temperature, that has uncovered something that has been there for a while. There have been no obvious signs otherwise. The jag is regularly serviced and that has not picked up anything. I don't know what else to tell you really.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 AM

Apologies to one and all, I'm making a real ham fisted effort on this. [&:]I am new to this forum thing, so please forgive my elephantine blunders.

I will try putting the issues and information as one liners, so that it is clear in my head at least.

I have been running fine until Tuesday night.

I filled up Sunday at a well known supermarket that had fuel issues lat year.

I have been typically getting about 40 miles to the gallon

The ambient temperature has been about 37 to 40F

Tuesday night, the car startedand drove normally through Wimborne

Sat waiting at the inevitable traffic lights, but when I went to pull away virtually no power or revs.

I found I could drive the car with slight pressure on the throttle.

Any more than that and the engine didn't rev and there was no additional power

I was able to baby the car home (about 20 miles further)

The car didn't stall, it sat at idle without problems

The only dashboard visual was the temperature guage which sat at about the 1/4 mark - usually just under the 1/2

No other waning lights.

The engine sounds quieter than normal.

I have since found that the car starts and runs normally, and will do so for quite a few miles and then suddenly do the same.

It doesn't seem to matter If i am stopped, going up or down hill or along the flat, it still does it.

It doesn't seem to matter how many miles I have done before this happens.

What I have found is that at the moment, if I pull over, stop and restart the engine it goes back to normal again (not easy on a busy roundabout [sm=badidea.gif])

What else? MmmmH!

It has been regularly serviced andwill getanother in about 5000 miles. It has done about 105,000 miles

I've not had any other problems although the sat nav disc needs updating and I don't know where to get one from.

I love it to bits. So any help would be really appreciated.

A big thanks to everyone who has responded so far, it makes me feel less alone. [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ya know, I know vitually ZERO about diesels. But I'm wondering about condensation in the fuel tank? Injectors? Blocked fuel filter?

As my old man says, "If ya got spark, Fuel and air, all ya gotta do is make sure you got 'em all at the same time". This doesn't sound like an air problem.... and somehow I'm doubting it's spark , so gotta be fuel, eh? How low was the tank when you filled-up at this supermarket?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 234
Views: 224
Views: 225
Views: 231

"JMS - What I have found is that at the moment, if I pull over, stop and restart the engine it goes back to normal again "

Hey there JMS...........I guess it could be dodgy fuel ( more water than fuel - I've had that before, usually accompanied by lots of white smoke though, to the point where it wouldn't run at all! ) still a possibility though I guess.
Your statement above makes me wonderif there's anengine management issue ( possible that your dashboard lightbulb is out, hence no warning ) I've had those exact same symptoms previously on other cars where's there's maybe been a pin size hole in the diaphram.............just a thought?

If you're in the AA / RAC......drive it about a mile or so away from home, unless you have Home start and give em a call...they'll fix it for you...........thats assuming you have that cover though.

Anyways.....all the best JMS

Jim

Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Bad fuel or water in it will not let a diesel idle either...

I suspect this has a turbo on it (most diesels do)....I'm going out on a limb by guessing this has a variable vane turbo and the drive motor for that can give up...(It is kind of like our petrol's Throttle body motor)..When you step on the pedal, the vanes are suppose to open up to allow more air in, at the same time the injectors are squirting more fuel too..so if the air ain't there, it will dog down...
I know this much from talking with owners of the TD4 diesel in the Land Rover Freelanders..they had the same symptoms you described when this part went belly up.

Okay, that's my limited knowledge of British auto diesels...Hope this gives you something to look at.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 230
Views: 225
Views: 247
Views: 228

Yes Dennis, it will have a turbo.
The pin size hole in the diaphram is / could be turbo related causing the symptoms as described.....
Don't know how you could check that though without a visit to the dealer[&:]

Jim

Old 11-14-2008, 05:17 AM

An ongoin big thanks for your kind words so far. I am hoping this is the solution. As a quick fix, it was suggested to me that I disconnect the air flow mass sensor located to the fron nearside, top of the engine. At the moment this seems to be working, I've had no recurrence and actually both performance and fuel economy have improved. It makes me wonder if this has been a fault for a while brought to light by the cold temperatures. The only downside is that the engine management warning light is now on permanently. I will run it for a few days like this to see if there is a recurrence and if not then have it replaced. I will keep you posted.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:03 AM

Well that didn't work either. The same problem again, although it is noticeable that the green/white wire to the connector block is very taught when connected, so I wonder if there has been some damage in the loom.

JimC64, thank you for the AA tip. I tried it and they couldn't find a readout fault, at least that has put my mind at rtest about a faulty EMU.[&:]

Next thing to try are the turbo hoses to see if there is some kind of leak, this apparently is a common fault on Roversthat exhibit the same symptoms. I am also going to run the tank down to virtually nothing, have the remainder drainded out and fit a new fuel filter.[8D]

Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 220
Views: 247
Views: 228
Views: 215

ORIGINAL: jms277

Well that didn't work either. The same problem again, although it is noticeable that the green/white wire to the connector block is very taught when connected, so I wonder if there has been some damage in the loom.

JimC64, thank you for the AA tip. I tried it and they couldn't find a readout fault, at least that has put my mind at rtest about a faulty EMU.[&:]

Next thing to try are the turbo hoses to see if there is some kind of leak, this apparently is a common fault on Roversthat exhibit the same symptoms. I am also going to run the tank down to virtually nothing, have the remainder drainded out and fit a new fuel filter.[8D]

Yes Dennis, it will have a turbo.
The pin size hole in the diaphram is / could be turbo related causing the symptoms as described.....
Don't know how you could check that though without a visit to the dealer[&:]

Jim

JMS...re the turbo hoses, see my quote above. I have also had this problem at least once with the hoses myself and am annoyed that I forgot to mention it.......its a definite possibility

Good luck

Jim

Old 08-23-2010, 02:39 AM
sth

Originally Posted by jms277
Please can anybody help or shed any light?

I have an X type 2.0 Diesel (04) Last night it decided that it didn't want to play ball any more. After about 10 miles driving normally, if I gave the car any more than the merest hint of throttle it stifled the engine and wouldn't do any more revs. No lights up on the dashboard, but the engine temperature was lower than normal.

As you can imagine rather fun at a roundabout where it first started.
Hi
can u remember what was the problem when your car used to loose power when you go harder on the pedal?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM
sth

I am having the same problem. As soon as i go hard on the pedal. The glow plug light starts flashing and engine looses power. Then i usually stop, restart and and take off and increase spped smoothly. Friend told me he suspects i need a new turbo unit. 2.2 diesel 05

Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 AM
sth
Default my glow plug light starts flashing

as soon as i go harder on the pedal and engine looses power. Then i have to pull over and restart and continue smoothly. new turbo unit? 2.2 diesel 05