X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Help please

I have x-type 2002 and my speedometer won't work it's stuck at zero the check engine light never came up ... Does anyone heated of this ??

Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

Bbrivas, first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will like it here. Lots of good information to be had here. But, because we pride ourselves on being a better car club and as part of that we like to get to know one another (makes for a much more friendly environment), we ask that you stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. This will give us a chance to learn a little bit about you, but also gives you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is. So, sit back, grab a cup of joe, and do a little bit of reading.

As for your issue. For the most part, the only way for what you are seeing to happen is for your instrument cluster to fail. With that being said, we can confirm this with an easy check. What you will need to do (may want to print this so you have the directions with you) is to look at the turn signal stalk and find the TRIP button on the end and depress the button (keep holding it in). While depressing the TRIP button, start your car. Keep holding the TRIP button in. As the car starts, watch the message center (where the ODO is and where you get all your mileage information). You should see is say something to the effect of "TEST" or "ENGINEERING TEST". Once you see this, release the TRIP button. At this point, we will be pressing the TRIP button. Do not fret, the instrument cluster is going to start flashing all the lights at you (the first press of the button turns on all the lights in the instrument cluster) and the second is going to cause all the gauges to sweet from min to max and back to min. Did the speedo sweep?

Now, press the TRIP button some more looking for the message center to start saying "CF1 XX" where the XX is some numbers. Start pressing the TRIP button slower and you will see it say CF2, then CF3, then CF4, and finally CF5. Press the TRIP button one more time and you should see the message center say "DTC XXXX" where the XXXX is 4 characters (the first digit may be a number or a letter, but the remaining 3 will be numbers). Write this down. Press the TRIP button again. You may see it say DTC XXXX or it may say "E 0000" or "E ----". If you get the DTC message, write this down and press the TRIP button again (keep repeating until you get to the "E 0000" or "E ----" and post the DTC numbers here). Once you are at "E 0000" or "E ----", take the car for a little spin around the block. Did the number rise as you went faster and lowered as you slowed down (this number is actually your speed in MPH down to the tenth of a MPH, so, add a decimal before the last number)? Send all this information here as this will tell me all that I need to know to tell you where your problem lies.

In short, if the speedo does not rise during the gauge sweep test, then odds are you have a bad instrument cluster. If your message center is saying "E ----", then we have a problem with the ECU or possibly the ABS unit (the DTC codes will tell me more about this). If you are seeing a rising/falling "E XXXX" indication, then this points back to the driver for the speedo which will mean a new instrument cluster.

Let me know what you find. I keep track of various issues with the cars and use this information to help figure out common problems and what the fix is for them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Bbrivas (03-30-2014), Stuart Beattie (06-19-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for the info these were the code I got also when I went around the block the I did see the number rise/fall again I want to thank
D900
A879
E200
E197
E510
E511

Old 04-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

Bbrivas, well, looking at the codes, I can see 2 problems that you have had. The one that I am seeing that you are not complaining about is the key that you used to use (or are currently using) is giving you problems periodically in starting the car and/or opening the doors. If you have switched to a new key and that has fixed your issue, then you have a bad key and getting a new key will fix your problems. If this is continuing, then you are most likely looking at a PATS module issue. But, I digress.

As for your speedo issue, the problem is leaning towards a bad CAN bus issue. But, because you are seeing a changing indication when in the engineering test mode, this is leading me to think that your problem lies in the instrument cluster and therefore the instrument cluster will need to be changed.

On a side note, can you still change between the various readings in the message center using the buttons under the headlight switch? The one code was saying that there were issues with those switches and if you are still having issues, it may be worthwhile to unplug the switches and see if your problem may correct itself. It is a long shot, but it is something that is fairly easy to do and if it can fix your problem, it is going to be a cheaper fix.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (06-19-2014)