X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi-beam upgrade bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hi-beam upgrade bulbs

Hello all, I was interested in seeing what was has been done on upgrading the hi-beams to a higher wattage bulb (ie 100w). With that has there been any known concern that the lighting module, wiring, or fuses would not be able to handle the extra load?

Here is some info on a Hella H1 100w
Hella H1 12V 100W Bulb
Part No.: 78110
Description: Halogen
Volt: 12
Watt: 100
Amp: 7.58
Use: Off Road

The Amp rating for a OEM 55W bulb is 4.15.

The X-type Sport I am picking up does have the 35W Xenon low beam lamps but in comparison the high beams need some improvement. Therefore, I am looking to see what is out there for upgrades. I would like the K-rating to be similar to the Xenon low beams and I might upgrade the fog lamps too.
I am used to some serious light throwing on my cars. I had upgraded Cibie E-code 7" rounds on my Porsche 944 with Narva 80w/100w bulbs (low and high) along with an H4 relay kit running off the alternator. Basically a net result of 300% more Lumen output. With the high beams on it actually was better than my 2004 Porsche 911 with its Litronic Xenons and halogen high beams. I do 90% of my driving at night and most of that is on back country roads. Here are some pictures of the lighting difference on my old 944. Man I loved the beam pattern on those Cibie E-codes!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2536/AC8BF3B4D4864A458312D6B2CC77908F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2536/DF460AA768804922B6A447EF3C3D8E9B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2536/460BD503B4FC43D8AC5300193237B8BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: Hi-beam upgrade bulbs

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  7.4 KB

Hey Chas, check out the link I have pasted below. It shows everything ever written in the X type forum regarding Bulbs / upgrades /HID's etc
In there I have posted numerous times about the uprated 80x/100w Sportzblue bulbs I fitted to mine over a year ago with no problems to. I did have one bulb blow after approx 2 weeks which I called to the attention of the supplier and he sent out 2 replacements, one of which I have fitted and is still working well to this day.
A huge improvement over stock

Anything else I can help with plz let me know

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_25544/tm.htm

Cheers

Jim

Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey there chas if your trying to upgrade the lights and already have hids I'd get another set of hids if I were you. Find a kit you like and buy it. Me personally I bought from mydepot on ebay and haven't had too many problems and I also only paid 78 bucks shipped to me so the price isn't bad at all. I'm pretty sure the lights are 72 shipped now so the price has even gone down. If you have hid nothing will replace those for look, brightness and happiness!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Thanks gents! Jim I will dosome research of the Sportzblue. I recall seeingthat brand mentioned in the archives.

Aquill, you mentioned your problems were minimal but what difficulties were you seeing with the HID kit from mydepot? How was the fitament of all the hardware associated with HID kits?

This is me just thinking outloud; will the fact that the hi-beams are usually turned on and off more frequently or just for quick flashes (to get a slow driver to move right) prove detrimental to HID Xenon's? I am just wondering why auto manufacturers do not fit dual HID's for LOW and HIGH Beams? Is it due to the cost, out of compliance of DOT regs, or ??

Thanks again!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also ordered them and just recieved them a few days ago, and im getting it installed on this Saturday(tomorrow). If you want when im done ill try and post some pictures and let you see how it looks. I paid $146 for the low beam and for the fog light from mydepts, where most of the people here bought theirs.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hey chas I'm not sure why they don't fit them in the highs...more than likely because they do require a few seconds to get warmed up or full brightness and I'd imagine its not worth having them...I can't remember the last time I used my brights...oh yeah I can when I took a picture to show the difference of the hids vs. the brights! I'd say do the fogs with something special unless of course you do a lot of country driving!

Hey jason make sure you take some pics of before and after...I've found it hard to capture the difference they make as the camera's sensor get messed up after all there is light going straight into the shutter! Not sure how to adjust camera to take worth-while pics!

Almost forgot chas the problem I have is that its 0 degrees fahrenheit here and sometimes the one bulb won't turn on...all I have to do is turn the lights off and on again...if i didn't have it on the auto lights I'm sure I'd have no problems. Other than that the shipping company (ems in china) are retarded and can't handle packages or shipping! But it wasn't mydepot's fault at all...

Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree if you want to do Hi-beam then go with HID you wont regret it.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  6.4 KB

Hey Chas / Aquill
re the fitting of HID's in the highbeams. I'm not 100% sure myself but seem to remember somewhere that it doea take a few seconds for them to warm up and achieve full capacity.
I reckon if you've saw the advert for the new Audi R8 you'll see what I'm talkin about. The lights are switched on and are low for a second or two then BAM..................WHITE light.

Jim

Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I said it takes time to warm up jim?
Yeah mine are the same way...they only take a matter of a few seconds or second...they do change the color they output...it has only done this since it has been cold with mine though!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  6.4 KB

ORIGINAL: aquill1
Yeah I said it takes time to warm up jim?
I know you did mate.............I was just confirming what I had heard against your comments as a back up....lol

Jim

Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a reason that the high beams do not come hid with the factorysystem - we don't have projectors for them. Look at thispicture shameless stolen from another thread on this board:

Notice a difference? If you were to add an aftermarket hid bulb to here the output would never be correct.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 AM

ORIGINAL: jasonzimbran

I also ordered them and just recieved them a few days ago, and im getting it installed on this Saturday(tomorrow). If you want when im done ill try and post some pictures and let you see how it looks. I paid $146 for the low beam and for the fog light from mydepts, where most of the people here bought theirs.
Yeah some pictures would be most appreciated!!

Nineball, so you are saying if HID kits are installed into the now current H1 halogen High beam lenses the output will not be correct. By not being correct are you saying they would be not as advantageous as having the HID in place over the Halogen H1's?

For the fogs I was thinking of doing a HID upgrade but in a yellow...or would that look bad?
I was thinking that with the current Xenon low beams + HID High Beams (or upgraded H1 bulbs) that white fogs would be a bit much. Not sure though. I willhave to drive the car around more and see.

Thoughts...

Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

an HID bulb will always be brighter than a halogen. however,the factory headlight does not have a projector lens for the high beams. sticking a HID bulb in a non-projector housing will not diffuse the light output correctly. in basic terms, the light will not be spread out nor focused to the proper angles. The difference between HID and non-hid reflectors (non projector) is the length of the bulb. The focal point of the bulbs is completely different offset for the two reflectors. Thats why when putting HID bulb in halogen housing, the focal point is off, thus creates glare. Here is a pic of the same car side by side.The left side has a factory HID setup with projectors, right has non-projectors with an aftermarket HID system.

Photo wouldn't work that site didn't allow linking from another site so I edited to get it to work...

Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Other than the reason above it doesn't make economic sense for them to fit the cars with hids for the brights. They take time to warm up and the benefit probably wouldn't outweigh the cost the company has in fitting xenon's in the brights when people generally don't use them that often. Thus making it a waste of engineering and materials when they'd probably have to put the hids in the brights for free as an added bonus...know what I'm saying?

Yellow fogs imo looks good but I don't know if I'd do it for a looks standpoint. I was thinking about doing this too but if I were to do the fogs I'd probably still go with the 6k or less and keep it white/blue...my buddy had some yellow bulbs he had for the fogs but he now has 6k in his fogs as well and they look sweet...