X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Conversion legality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 06:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question HID Conversion legality?

I recently put LEDs in my 2009 X Type - but when one blew and I asked the dealer to replace it they said that they were illegal as the car was not designed to have them. They subsequently put back the original halogen type bulbs. I was wondering about the legality of doing a HID conversion. I know some model X types came out with HIDs as standard, so was wondering if I "upgraded" my car to HIDs then would this effectively be legal as it was standard fitment to some models? Has anyone had experience fitting HIDs to an originally halogen equipped X type only to have the dealer, or worse MOT assessors, say it was illegal?

Old 09-07-2021, 06:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Clack, I have done a few cars and the question is really a regional one. What does the local laws allow? Atleast here in the US, the HIDs are legal as long as you have a lens that properly focuses the HID light. So, if you were to put the HIDs into the X-Type, because it has a focusing lens in even the basic headlight housing, it makes it legal (atleast for the US). Where, if you take the same bulb and put it into say a early 2000's Ford truck headlight housing, because it doesn't have the projector lens built into it, then this would be illegal. As for what your local laws are, you would need to look into that. The reason for the strick laws regarding HID bulbs is a standard bulb outputs around 1500 lumen of light per bulb. An HID bulb is around 3000 lumen per bulb. So, controlling it so it doesn't blind on coming drivers is necessary.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Clack, I have done a few cars and the question is really a regional one. What does the local laws allow? Atleast here in the US, the HIDs are legal as long as you have a lens that properly focuses the HID light. So, if you were to put the HIDs into the X-Type, because it has a focusing lens in even the basic headlight housing, it makes it legal (atleast for the US). Where, if you take the same bulb and put it into say a early 2000's Ford truck headlight housing, because it doesn't have the projector lens built into it, then this would be illegal. As for what your local laws are, you would need to look into that. The reason for the strick laws regarding HID bulbs is a standard bulb outputs around 1500 lumen of light per bulb. An HID bulb is around 3000 lumen per bulb. So, controlling it so it doesn't blind on coming drivers is necessary.
Not really sure what my local laws are regarding this - I will make enquiries....

Old 09-07-2021, 08:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clack. Can you post a link or tell me what led headlights you put in ur Xtype please ? Looking to do either a led or HID conversion also. Thx

Old 09-07-2021, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 745 Likes on 665 Posts
Old 09-08-2021, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by NYCJAG2006
Clack. Can you post a link or tell me what led headlights you put in ur Xtype please ? Looking to do either a led or HID conversion also. Thx
G'day,

I bought the following online and got them shipped to me in Australia so you should have no issues ordering them in the US. They fit in the headlight housing without modification / cutting.

Low Beam - https://www.headlightexperts.com/cat...it/category/2/

High Beam - https://www.headlightexperts.com/cat...it/category/2/
Fog - https://www.headlightexperts.com/cat...it/category/2/
Thank you!

-Headlight Experts
www.HeadlightExperts.com

Last edited by Clackavosticus; 09-08-2021 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thx Clack. Much appreciated. Do u have any night time pictures of the leds in your Xtype please ?

Old 09-08-2021, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by NYCJAG2006
Thx Clack. Much appreciated. Do u have any night time pictures of the leds in your Xtype please ?
Sorry - I never took night time pics of the LEDS. I don't have them anymore so I can't do it now- sorry. Rest assured they are MUCH brighter than the standard halogens. They also put out a very pure white light.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Lived in the UK with a brand new 1984 US spec Volvo 240 picked up in Sweden. Took the ferry back to the UK. Driving back to Bedfordshire was constantly flashed by UK drivers coming the other way. Reason? US spec sealed lights (even low beams) at the time focused to the right- in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Had to replace the bulbs for the duration we were there. Not sure this is the case with US spec LED bulbs. They are super bright.

Perhaps this might help:
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...vs-laser-70301

Old 09-10-2021, 12:00 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I am told by my MOT inspector that it is illegal here in the UK to have HIDs fitted in a vehicle that was not originally designed for them . My dipped beams are awful although I have upgraded the bulbs. As I get older i am restricting my night time driving because of this, In other vehicles I am OK.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:00 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

In the US, required lighting (headlights, taillights, brake and marker lights) must be approved by the US Department of Transportation. If DOT approved, they can be installed on any vehicle.

In some countries, upgrades to any required equipment must be approved for the specific vehicle -- for instance, in Hong Kong during the British period, putting on BETTER brakes could result in fines or even vehicle confiscation, even if those brakes were approved on the SAME CAR MODEL of different years, or different trim packages of the same car!

Thus, the answer is that you need to check with your own jurisdiction if there is any question about such things. Ask the cops, then ask them where you can read the code that they base their answer on -- there may be exemptions or limitations which will apply to your particular install.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DUNKS
I am told by my MOT inspector that it is illegal here in the UK to have HIDs fitted in a vehicle that was not originally designed for them . My dipped beams are awful although I have upgraded the bulbs. As I get older i am restricting my night time driving because of this, In other vehicles I am OK.
X-type halogen headlights are bad event with new chrome coating on the reflectors they still perform worse than other halogen projector headlights. To optimize the headlights I suggest that you should look for someone who could restore the chrome coating on your main beam reflectors. The process is called Vacuum metalization.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by simeon40
X-type halogen headlights are bad event with new chrome coating on the reflectors they still perform worse than other halogen projector headlights. To optimize the headlights I suggest that you should look for someone who could restore the chrome coating on your main beam reflectors. The process is called Vacuum metalization.
Thanks but reflectors are like new!