X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID/LED Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,889 Likes on 3,196 Posts

chiefshb, H1's apply to the 02-03 cars, the H11's apply to the 04+ vehicles. Atleast that is what I am finding on the Sylvania lighting website. Besides, using the H11's should make the install go super quick. No having to modify the mount. You will undo the bulb and then twist in the new HID bulb and that is just about it. Then all you have to do is modify the wiring to the ballasts. 30 minute job.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read that the mount doesn't need to be modified, but I don't see how that is possible. I took off the stock elbow and I don't see anyway to get the HID bulb in without modifying the connector. I'll take some pics of what I'm seeing and post.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Veteran member

Chiefshb, the H11 fog light conversion I did (wife's Ford Fusion), you remove the H11 halogen bulb and the H11 HID bulb twists right into place. There is no need to modify anything. The HID bulb base uses the same key sequence as a standard halogen bulb. Then all you have to do is wire up the ballast and you are done.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...I'm thinking my kit may be different. The base has the 3 tabs, but it isn't big enough to twist into the housing like the stock elbow.

The kit is over at the in-laws so I can't take a pic at the moment to show what I mean. Woke up sick as hell this morning, so not working on it today.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

chiefshb, you may have the generic bulb which will then require modification. They also make HID bulbs that are specifically made to be a drop in replacement for H11 bulbs. It is sounding like you have the generic ones. That will require modifying the base. Pretty much you drill out the center and then feed the plug through the hole you create and silicon the bulb into place. If you look in my picture gallery, you will see what I am talking about.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Too lazy..

emaraszek, You did pretty thorough job with your HID:s.

I didnīt bother though. I took a shortcut. Lamps back covers off, cut a hole with a laser (at work). Put the bulb in place, connected wires, back cover in place. Ty-Rapped the ballast to some wire and thatīs it. 30 mins altogether.

Driver side is really easy if you remove battery+box. Right side is a little more cramped but manageable.

Have to take them off once a year for MOT..

Iīve used cheap HIDīs and expensive ones in two cars. According to my experience I donīt believe that quality differences are that big between aftermarket HIDīs. They probably come from the same factories, but someone just gets a bigger cut from their businesses.

For park lights are T10 bulbs with semiconductor LEDīs. Pretty bright, but wonīt last for a long time because they are in the same housing with high beams. LEDīs just canīt stand temperatures above 80C/180F for a long time. Problem is that practically all LED types have the same problem.

Iīve replaced brake lights with 36 pcs LED bulbs. Only problem is that I chose the wrong color. I chose white ones, but they really should have been red ones. Lamps look now a little too orange. Brightness is another issue. Itīs probably enough, but now Iīm ordering new ones, color is red and LED type is semiconductor.

Iīve also done interior conversion to LEDīs. Result isnīt bad at all, but new brighter bulbs with wider angles have already been ordered. For footwells Iīm going to use a semiconductor panel with 24 LEDīs. Theyīre nice, they have adapters for different wedges, so theyīre easy to connect.