X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID's Installed, Cant Align???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's Installed, Cant Align???

Well i got my HID's in today, and i noticed that i cannot aim my headlights... But i did notice that everything inside the headlight housing is very loose and shakey... Im guessing that i need new headlight assemblies, right? Any info appreciated...thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,907 Likes on 3,210 Posts

Euro, if things are loose inside of your headlight assemblies, then yes, you are suffering from a common problem with our cars. The internals of the headlights have a few design flaws in them. If you look on here, there are a few methods to fix this problem. Most guys remove the headlight assemblies and then epoxy the broken clips back together. But, you can also get new headlight assemblies too. IF you get them on e-bay, ask the seller specifically about the broken clips. That way, should you get a headlight with the broken clips, you have a leg to stand on when you need an exchange.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thermo is right, be careful and cover yourself when purchasing them from places like eBay especially.

But either way, I broke one of mine, but it was easilly fixed with some gorilla glue. Thankfully it was a clean break. The hardest part is to remove the headlight so you can work on it and really that is not too difficult.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the hick-a-billy route and save yourself some moolah.

Get some of your favorite glue/epoxy or whatever you'd like and save a weekend to fix the lights yourself. Personally I'd use this epoxy stuff I got from the parts store when I had to fix the tabs for the back up sensor piece. The stuff is solid w/in a few minutes and it seems to be stronger than the piece start out with. I even fixed a remote control car I gave my son when he broke the plastic wheel off of it. The hub stayed on and the rest of the wheel broke off, the epoxy worked so well it was the only wheel to not bend at all. Keep in mind he uses it as a push car and it stays strong as could be.

Try doing search on here for the headlight fix. Otherwise come back and we can find it for you...

Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 AM

thanks again to everyone. yea i figured it was either glue and fix myself or replace. and looking at the price of the headlights on ebay, id rather fix them myself. i bought the car comepletly stock, and the headlights were like that, so im guessing the owner before had messed with it. i have to say they look excellent but they are aimed way to low and not even.

whats the total time to remove both the headlights? it looks like the bumper has to come off.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:29 AM

The first time it took me about 25 minutes doing them by hand. Get your drill gun out and save some time but use a low speed setting. The hardest screws are the 2 (1 on each side) inside the wheel well about 3 inches in. They are located in the upper corners and need to be removed by hand inch by inch. Here is a pic and maybe you can see where the screw is missing...

Last edited by christo; 02-21-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile

Christo,

Can you try that picture again. It isn't working when I click on it.
Also, I guess since you say they are inside the wheel well then the liner will need to be removed. Right?

Thanks

Originally Posted by christo
The first time it took me about 25 minutes doing them by hand. Get your drill gun out and save some time but use a low speed setting. The hardest screws are the 2 (1 on each side) inside the wheel well about 3 inches in. They are located in the upper corners and need to be removed by hand inch by inch. Here is a pic and maybe you can see where the screw is missing...

Last edited by Green Machine; 02-21-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:03 PM

cool man, thanks alot for the info christo..

Old 02-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd hate to pull the front bumper off...how hard is it getting everything back aligned correctly?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:18 AM

Everything goes back on perfectly, no aligning necessary. It is good to have another set of hands around so you dont torque the bumper when putting it back on the car. My wife helped me out and didnt even break a nail...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Green Machine
Christo,

Can you try that picture again. It isn't working when I click on it.
Also, I guess since you say they are inside the wheel well then the liner will need to be removed. Right?

Thanks
Well looking at the pic, you can see the wheel well is still pretty much there. But all of the plastic underneath the car connecting to the bottom of the bumper is off too.

Also currently you can see two silver hex screws, to the left of one is a hole. That is because the bumper has a screw permanently affixed to it and it needs to be inserted there. Now from the back side you need to get an open end wrench on it and remove the nut. I did this by prying the wheel well back (it can take it) and sliding my arm in there. Takes some time but once it gets loose enough you could spin it off with you fingers.

Once all the screws are removed you will be suprised how easy the bumper comes off.

Also above the hex screws notice the bracket has 2 indents, one to the right of the left screw about 2 inches wide and one above the right screw - the bumper has cut outs that fit in there. You have to gentley pry the bumper away from the car then it practically falls off. The same for when it is going back on, you just have to align the bumper with those cutouts and your golden - thats where the 2nd person really comes into play.

Last edited by christo; 02-22-2009 at 07:31 AM.