X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?

Nah it cant be a realese bearing as my as an automatic. I got my car to 7000rph yesterday with out a problem so I has nothing to do with the engine or something, but I think it is the wheel bearing, what do you guys think.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Master Deep

Same here. Except I hear it while accelerating slowly or decelerating/coasting where the speed comes to 30mph. The transfer case sounds like an expensive part to replace... Is it? Also the sound does not change when turning. If I set cruise control at 30mph, I feel like blowing up my car or shooting myself in my head before going even 1 mile because this frequency is just sooooo annoying. Feels like my ear drum is gonna explode. Hard to describe. It has gotten louder recently. It was tolerable when it first started and I just thought it might have something to do w/ 20 degree weather and 50k mile car. But it was there when it was 30's outside and 40's. Stopped now in the 50's.

I cancelled the appointment at the dealer tonight. If it comes back when the cold weather gets here again in a few days, then I will take it back in.
It's pretty expensive to replace. I acquired one from a totalled X-Type that has 15k miles on it. It cost me $200 and another $200 to have it put in.

Brand new, it's 1500? I think...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it's the same noise I think it is, then it's only a matter of time before it takes a **** on you. Mine went out on Christmas Eve, and I couldn't have been more pissed about it. But, that's life. Get the clutch done, have it back for a week only to have the t-case go clunk. Ain't life great?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:10 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

****![]..I'm gonna change my transfercase lube oil this weekend for sure now...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

****![]..I'm gonna change my transfercase lube oil this weekend for sure now...
Yeah man! Learn from my mistakes. Don't ignore the obvious. I kinda figured it was the transfer case, but I ignored the signs, and didn't bother to get the oil changed. Maybe it would have lasted another 10k. Who knows!

Anyway, it's runnin like a champ now.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey spartan the transfer case that mounts up to the tranny was only 200 bucks? Dang that is a deal! Where can I buy one?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how does the transfer case go bad? Is it something about me doing something bad while driving? I tend to redline a lot once the car is warmed up and it has never given me problems. Change oil every 5000 miles. I did try drifting a few weeks ago in a snowstorm in an open parking lot. The sound started after that.

I never tried to do any drift/donuts in the dry or wet (even though its almost impossible in the dry) cause I know its really bad for the AWD system and I don't wanna mess up my differentials. Trying in snow may be bad too but it's a little better. I just wanted to get to know how the car slides w/ the new tires so if it happens on a road i know what to do.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
ud

So how does the transfer case go bad? Is it something about me doing something bad while driving? I tend to redline a lot once the car is warmed up and it has never given me problems. Change oil every 5000 miles. I did try drifting a few weeks ago in a snowstorm in an open parking lot. The sound started after that.

I never tried to do any drift/donuts in the dry or wet (even though its almost impossible in the dry) cause I know its really bad for the AWD system and I don't wanna mess up my differentials. Trying in snow may be bad too but it's a little better. I just wanted to get to know how the car slides w/ the new tires so if it happens on a road i know what to do.
I don't think you're doing anything wrong from what you say...But until I read Bojangle's thread on the transfercase, I had now idea..it seems they maybe low from the factory and that would cause all kinds of problems for the near future..read his thread here.. https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_34418/tm.htm

Made me a believer

Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 PM

yeah I was about to ask that same question. Is it something you do that makes it wrong? Well my dealer told me it costs $450 for a wheel bearing to be replaced. When I go on the 65mph on the highway and I dont accelerate it sound like a train anyone have this problem?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Can't say I have this problem. The wheel bearing is expensive to change. Most of them are pressed in and are a pain in the ****! They are terrible to change! Sure does make a difference though...I'll post videos of it very soon bug me for them so I can show you the difference. I took 2 vids with my camera phone in my escape before and after and on the way to the shop to do it I only was doing like 45-55 and on the way home where its almost quiet I was doing like 70-80! PM me in a few days if I don't post em...450 does seem steep though jason...thought you had a warranty on yours? Here's a link for a rear hub/bearing assembly which should make it easier (haven't looked how the jags hub and all of that works) to do the repair. Bearings in my escape were pressed in and I couldn't get the hub and all...A good shop should be able to tell you which wheel bearing is bad and possibly only change one wheel bearing...LINK
You could hit up jag_genius or ken for parts but I've found the dealer gives the same price on parts just not a very cheap labor rate!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM

yeah it looks pretty expensive I guess but the tech isnt 100 percent it is the wheel bearing so Im going to wait.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 PM

I did try drifting a few weeks ago in a snowstorm in an open parking lot. The sound started after that.
Get your wallet ready . I could be totally wrong, but if I drove the car and heard the noise, i could tell you for sure what it is.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 PM

Any clue why the whine comes only at 30mph?

And if I change the fluid now will that help at all? How much would the dealer charge to change the fluid? An oil change cost me $50 there.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 PM

Any clue why the whine comes only at 30mph?

And if I change the fluid now will that help at all? How much would the dealer charge to change the fluid? An oil change cost me $50 there.
Fluid should be changed at 50k (if i'm not mistaken). If there was fluid in there, it's not leaking, and it just started to make the noise, then something is wrong.

Not all is lost. I drove with the noise for 2.5 months with the noise before it went out. And that was on a bad clutch...

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM

The sound, when present, gets louder from 29-31mph. At 31mph it is really loud and annoying. Then it dissapears after that. 29mph the sound starts. Does that mean anything.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 AM
ud

Like I said..keep us posted if/when you take it to the dealer...this is good info for others, should they ever hear or see the same problem.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Will do! Thanks guys. It was so hard to find a good jaguar forum and I think I found one.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

. Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  6.4 KB

Hey master deep...........I had similar issues about a year back. They come n go, usually worse when cold for some reason?
Took it to the dealer as I thought it was the tranny and paid £103 for them to check it out
The result?
Your car is in tip top shape sir and everythings normal[&:]
Sometimes its there and sometimes its not....go figure

Why not ask the help of our resident Jag Tech in the Technical section?

Good luck
Jim

Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully there's nothing wrong...I'm sure you found the forum you were seeking!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM

OMFG I'm scared.

So the high pitched whistling is still there at 30mph. It gets louder and softer randomly. Sometimes it doesn't even occur. But it tends to happen most of the time now.

BUT, a new sound developed the last snow we had on Wednesday. When moving from a stop and driving slow so that everything is quiet, I hear a Mechanical Whirring sound. Sounds like turning a bunch of gears in your hand without enough lubrication. Or standing on a treadmill, and moving the belt with your feet manually, without turning the power on. I always hear this now since Wednesday. Sound does fluctuate a little bit with speed. But I hear it mainly at parking lot speeds while accelerating, cruising, and braking since there isn't any road/wind noise at low speeds. It's like i'm forcing something to turn as I drive that doesn't want to turn.

This sound has me feeling sick. Since I think it might be in the drivetrain. And something to do with the transfer case (which is known to fail). Called up my friend since he blew out the viscous on his talon 6x so far. So that maybe he can diagnose it before I take it to the dealer. He was telling me that if I hear a sound from the transfer case, I better just pull over ASAP. Since as soon as it goes, All 4 wheels lock up and i'm ****ed. I'm just gonna spin and can't brake or do anything. Happened to him before. So now i'm scared. Car drives fine still the last 2 days.

So anyone think they know what it could be? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:01 PM
ud

I'm begining to think now, it is the Transfer case..need to have it checked out now..

Quick Reply: High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?