X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?

So if this transfer case dies while driving, what exactly happens? Is the car still drivable or does it all lock up?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Master Deep

OMFG I'm scared.

So the high pitched whistling is still there at 30mph. It gets louder and softer randomly. Sometimes it doesn't even occur. But it tends to happen most of the time now.

BUT, a new sound developed the last snow we had on Wednesday. When moving from a stop and driving slow so that everything is quiet, I hear a Mechanical Whirring sound. Sounds like turning a bunch of gears in your hand without enough lubrication. Or standing on a treadmill, and moving the belt with your feet manually, without turning the power on. I always hear this now since Wednesday. Sound does fluctuate a little bit with speed. But I hear it mainly at parking lot speeds while accelerating, cruising, and braking since there isn't any road/wind noise at low speeds. It's like i'm forcing something to turn as I drive that doesn't want to turn.

This sound has me feeling sick. Since I think it might be in the drivetrain. And something to do with the transfer case (which is known to fail). Called up my friend since he blew out the viscous on his talon 6x so far. So that maybe he can diagnose it before I take it to the dealer. He was telling me that if I hear a sound from the transfer case, I better just pull over ASAP. Since as soon as it goes, All 4 wheels lock up and i'm ****ed. I'm just gonna spin and can't brake or do anything. Happened to him before. So now i'm scared. Car drives fine still the last 2 days.

So anyone think they know what it could be? Thanks.
During these last few very cold days around here (live in Rockford, IL) after my Jag has been sitting out in the cold for an hour+ I get a similar high pitched whining noise. It only occurs for ~ 1/2 mile or so and is most loud at 30-33mph (like yours). If I go faster it quiets down. ONLY HAPPENS WHEN COLD THOUGH. When the car has been in the garage over night no problems. Is starts out as a whirring noise and then progresses to a really loud high pitched noise [:@]that changes frequency based on wheel speed not engine speed.

I have searched the archives, posted a thread, and looked over on Roadfly forums too. The consenus I have found points towards the prop shaft center bearing (center bearing for driveshaft in the middle of car running from T-case to rear differential). The grease is probably the consitency of toothpaste at the -0 temps and the seals are hard and dry. Also I would imagine it is a ball bearing unit but I am not for sure. If you still have full warranty or Select Edition Warranty I would consult your dealer....a new propshaft is $936 from my Jag dealer here in Rockford!!! [sm=yikesomg.gif]

I am going to try and inject some synthetic grease into the center bearing area with a grease injector: http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...MMainWidth=800

This was the advice of Karl Wolf over in Roadfly forums. This should shut things up.
I will post back after I get done with doing this.

[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 PM

Thanks. I have no warranty. My dad's gonna prolly blame me for killing the transfer case/propshaft anyways. Though I don't think I can do something so bad that will just kill it.

So if the transfer case or whatever is wrong dies, what will happen if I'm driving along at 50mph?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what would happen, can't say its ever happened. Spartanx found a transfer case for a few hundred bucks at the local junk yard or ebay or something...

In the rental car I had I noticed a sound kind of like the brake pads touching a warped rotor between 15-30 mph. I let the enterprise guy know about it but I don't know what it was. Is this similar to what you guys have?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:10 PM

Well took the car out today and BOTH sounds mysteriously disappeared...I hope that the whining sound is just some salt/slush/snow stuck under the car. Haven't washed it in like 3 weeks since it has been so cold. I usually wash it every week. The high pitched sound only comes when its cold out and today was like 33F. Next few days will be into the 40's. If the sounds don't come back, then its just the cold weather I guess.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Wish I had the rental x for a few more days...when I had it was when we had that really cold weather so I wouldn't know if that noise was from the cold or not...

Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 AM

Friend thought the high pitched sound might be a wheel bearing. (I did slam my car hard perfectly sideways into a curb, do a 180 and slam the other side perfectly sideways into a curb. No damage to rims.) Maybe something happened then. But if its the wheel bearing, shouldn't the sound come all the time, not just when cold?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Deep,

I have the same thing going with my car, the sound comes and goes but the last few weeks its crazy.
I used to be when i pressed the gas from a stop i would here the whine by my passenger rear area. and it would stop once i reached around 20-25. sometimes its there sometimes its not.
but now i hear it when i make a left hand turn and the weight gets shifted to the right.
i have asked a few people if the can take a guess at wht it is, but its so cold here in chicago and when it warmed up it snowed.
So i am taking it to the dealer on Thursday (my Select edition ran out in December). I am so afraid of the bill if it is serious.
i thought it might be the salt and cold messing with things but i washed the undercarriage twice and its still there.

i heard the sound only in the fall and only once every two weeks so i thought nothing of it. now it so sad

Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  6.4 KB

ORIGINAL: Master Deep
Friend thought the high pitched sound might be a wheel bearing. (I did slam my car hard perfectly sideways into a curb, do a 180 and slam the other side perfectly sideways into a curb. No damage to rims.) Maybe something happened then. But if its the wheel bearing, shouldn't the sound come all the time, not just when cold?

??? perfectly sideways Masterdeep?
An accident I'm guessin while doin some rallying?

Jim

Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 PM

It was freezing rain that slid me sideways into a curb kind've hard. I hit my knee really hard on the door. So I'm almost positive its a wheel bearing now.

How much do you think they will charge to replace the wheel bearing or hub or w/e they have to fix?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 AM

Please see post,
https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_39128/tm.htm
for what might be wrong with your car masterdeep.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM

My X was making the whinning sound on a cold start up (Chicago suburbs), even if I let the engine warm up - it'll make the sound for a couple miles especially loud onaccelerate from 20-30mph and then really loud coming to a stop. The sound does go away after a while. The X is at the*********** right now and going to end up there all weekend - they gave me comp'd rental (Mazda 6) in the meantime. They have not gotten to it yet - but the service guy right away said it is the prop shaft that needs to be replaced and is covered under the Select Edition warranty. The cat would not start on me this past Wednesday either - had to get a jump, got a Duralast Gold put in and dropped it off at the dealership - because the check engine light was on. I got about 17K more miles left on my Select Edition warranty - I am going to be taking her in for anything now.

I will post full diagnosis as I find out.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hey humy why the *********** tag if they are helping you out? What'd they do to you?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 PM

lol.

My car's been making a howling sound. I hear it from taking off from a start. After about 30mph with road/wind noise I can't hear the howl anymore. i'm sure its still there. When slowing down and crusing at the lower speeds I hear it.

It came 3x so far...each time after a snow storm...which is the only time my wheels are spinning so transfer case has a lot of work to do routing power continuously while i'm sliding and on the gas. Sound stays for about 2 days after snow. Once its clear for 2 days, sound goes away. Thought it was gone. Well next snow, and snow after that...same thing. Sound came back. Then it disappeared after it was clear out for a few days.

The more corners I slide through cause its icy and stay on the gas. So the AWD pulls me out of the drift, the louder the sound tends to get. A lot of sliding and power rerouting...loud howl. A few minor slides...quieter howl.

So since it only comes when my wheels are spinning, I think it might be the transfer case.

Everytime I make an appointment, no sound is present the day i'm supposed to take it in. It's pissing me off now.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Master Deep,

looks like we are in the same boat as hummy, you guys let me know what your dealership says.

which ones do you guys go to? the one by my house i can never get in the are alway too busy and RUDE, Olrloff Jag, Willmete jag is nice and gives my 06 x-type loaners, but the car knowledge and servicing of the cars is horrible. Elmhurst Jag is good but man i feel like they jack up the costs for even basic stuff. any other jag dealer besides them i will be driving over 50 miles to get there.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Just an observation about the check engine light thing after replacing battery.
X-Types will almost always set the light if the voltage goes low. Sets a flash memory code in the TCM which triggers light. If the light only came on after jump start or battery replacement. Just clear codes and see if it comes back on.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Bought and serviced at Patrick Jaguar in Naperville. Service has been exceptional. They never gave me a hard time. Not sure on prices. Costs $50 for an oil change if that means anything.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

check the weather and make the appointment on a day it is to snow. maybe then the sound will happen.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 PM

Yea then I can just drift my entire way to the dealer. Should be there then. lol

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 PM

deep, 50 for an oil change is almost the price everywhere. ill do it for you for a sandwich and a cold one. (once it warms up though).

the Ville is to far for me to trek for service, i am going to try elmhurst jag once more, if i have to i will drive to naperville.

after the snow we got today get it checked tomorrow the sound will be there.

my noise has been absent since monday afternoon.

Quick Reply: High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?