X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hold onto your tc air scoop - 7 inches in north east

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hold onto your tc air scoop - 7 inches in north east

I had to run into the office this morning and there was a nice coating of snow on the ground. I must say the X-Type is very sure footed in the snow especially on the winding back roads. There wasn't anyone on the roads and I was trying to make the car fish tail but it wasn't easy. What I really like was all you really had to do was point the car in the right direction and hit the gas. I am running the standard Conti tires which seem to be pretty decent. I have had mostly rear wheel drive cars and have never been afraid to venture out, but the X was just awesome. We are expecting more tonight so it should be pretty interesting, I just don't want to spend $75 to replace my transfer case air scoop.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: Hold onto your tc air scoop - 7 inches in north east

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  6.0 KB

Nice one Christo
The X is just awesome in the snow, not that we ever had that much here for me tro try it in, but the little we did, it performed great.
I'm fairly impressed with the Conti's too.....on my 2nd set on the A6.trying to make it fishtail....did you have DSC on?
Regular all seasons or snow tyres

Jim

Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 PM

We usually don't get much snow here either - but when we do, we do!!! Some winters we may get nothing and then seeing over 8 inches uncommon. Unfortunately I dont have the DSC option so I have to maneuver the old fashioned way. I bet it is awesome though. There are so many intriguing features, I love the auto wipers and how it knows when I need to use the rear defrost. It's amazing haha!

The A6 is a wonderful car, I am a big fan. A friend of mine has one with a chip - boy that car is fast and handles really well. Not so sure about the snow but I bet as good as any other car.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 47
Views: 38
Views: 48
Views: 44

ORIGINAL: christo
We usually don't get much snow here either - but when we do, we do!!! Some winters we may get nothing and then seeing over 8 inches uncommon. Unfortunately I dont have the DSC option so I have to maneuver the old fashioned way. I bet it is awesome though. There are so many intriguing features, I love the auto wipers and how it knows when I need to use the rear defrost. It's amazing haha!
The A6 is a wonderful car, I am a big fan. A friend of mine has one with a chip - boy that car is fast and handles really well. Not so sure about the snow but I bet as good as any other car.
Sounds kinds similar to us Christo....sometimes we get no / very little snow and then Bam.....6-8 inches or maybe a couple of feet
The X with the DSC option is even better stillif you can imagine. I've posted a link that you've probably seen before, but check it out. X type testing in severe arctic conditions!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wR1SSxpKitE

auto wipers, screen and headlights are just brilliant......bit of a pain when you get into a vehicle that doesn't have them...makes you soooo lazy and forgetful.
Lovin the A6 ...had it for 18 months now and 50k miles, depending on the model they come with Quattro 4 wheel drive to so its all good

Jim

Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Wow thanks for the youtube - always like to see the X in action. DSC is a life saver, wish I had it, but the car in general makes you feel so confident. I have never been afraid in the snow and always understood the counter steering concept. But when it comes to braking and swerving you better be sure - especially at high speeds!

I loved when they show you how the dsc braked the front wheel to slow the car down just enough to turn.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

that was a great video! too bad they did not test the AWD drive X-Type. I would have liked to see that.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

by the way christo, have you checked to see if your TC case scoop is still there? we got over a foot of snow today and another 8 inches coming tonight. I was driving around all day today and I must say I think the 03 I had drove better then the 05.... wonder why? I just got the new tires put on the 05 yesterday...

Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 PM

yeah it's stll there but it looks worn. I read your recent post about the scoop, I wonder if the plastic gets a little beat up by the heat, afterall its just a plastic pin and a hex nut holding it on. The reason I say is because I had a bunch of plastic pieces break that were part of the winshield washer system. Apparently heat has gotten then best of them and then they become britle.

glad to hear the 03 is holding its own, must be that viscious coupling?

I am going to be doing my tc fluid change soon too, I am a big fan of amsoil so I am going to continue to use thier products.

here is a link http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svo.aspxI hate that I have to wait for delivery, but they have been good to me.

Either way my scoop is still there and the x is a pleasure to drive in the snow.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Christo when it snows that's what you have one of these for.....

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...metires001.jpg

Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 PM

Well I can agree there...

I have one of these but I really like a challenge.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 PM

we're still waiting for the "big snowstorm" we're supposed to be getting. I'm hoping it does hit then I'll go out on the trails tomorrow instead of working in the garage on the Jag.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Where do you live? I have taken the Z71 into the trails in forked river, NJ - dang thing need a good compound when it come out. Still looks like a million bucks - that truck is solid and in the snow just wants to keep going. I remember one time the snow plows, plowed in our driveway - I had no problem blasting thru. But it was lots of fun!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: ArmyJag
Christo when it snows that's what you have one of these for.....

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...metires001.jpg
damn. Sold mine.
I'd tell ya I sold it 'cuz it was "Nickel-n-Diming" me to death.. but they were more like hundred dollar bills (or 'Hundies", as my racin' team-mates call 'em)....

Old 01-11-2009, 07:29 AM

Well the weather reporters are wrong again. I habe come up with a formula to calculate the accurate amount of snow they predict. You divide the larger amount in half and then subtract 2. If they say 4-7 inches then that means you will get 1.5 inches. Looks like we have an inch out there - close enough.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm smack-dab in the middle of Mass., and the snow is flying! Can't wait to get out there on my Conti tires and give it a go!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 34
Views: 46
Views: 45

Woo hoo......just be careful though adreasx.....dont wanna have too much fun so it ends up in tears

Jim

Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Well they predicted 3-6 for us and I'm looking at 12 inches easy. Just spent the last 45 min pulling my neighbors out through the plow drift. I wish I would have had my camera on me for the neighbor with a H2 that got stuck in the drift

McJag you shouldnever sell a rover unless you already have a replacement lined up When the time comes for my 91 to be replaced it will either be a 95 Range Rover Classic Long wheel base or a 00 Range Rover. I prefer I think the LWB since most of the off road gear I can swap over but I think the 00 would be fun from a modding and wheeling stand point with a properly worked over air suspension

Old 01-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Is that ranger rover sport any good - I think it is an awesome looking vehicle! Either way I don't have any snow over here anymore. There is some in the forecast so maybe this will be a good winter. So far just a bunch of hype. I think my area is very difficult to predict - they are always wrong - I can't believe it. Are the reporters accurate in your neck of the woods?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Not so much usually add 3-6 inches to what they predict lol.

The Range Rover sport is pretty nice but it's basically the LR3 with a different body. Essentially a downsized Range Rover. If I were in the market for a newer suv right now I owuld be snapping up some of the deals on the 3-4 year old Range Rovers or the 06 LR3 with the heavy duty package. All in all very good all arounder trucks.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

I never cared how much snow we got - I'll drive whichever one I can still see under. If I can't see under the F-350, there's 3 snowmobiles in that trailer!
Name:  whattodrive.jpg
Size:  83.8 KB

Quick Reply: Hold onto your tc air scoop - 7 inches in north east