X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horse Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

So with the plenum spacer it's really just a trade off btwn torque and top end power. The plenum spacer increases one and the other is decreased? Will the car accelerate faster with this spacer? Say hitting an on ramp to a fwy, with two otherwise identical cars, would the spacer car overtake the non spacer car?

Old 05-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Patterson
So with the plenum spacer it's really just a trade off btwn torque and top end power. The plenum spacer increases one and the other is decreased? Will the car accelerate faster with this spacer? Say hitting an on ramp to a fwy, with two otherwise identical cars, would the spacer car overtake the non spacer car?
I don't know that answer definitively but, purely in my opinion I would say that it indeed does overtake the otherwise identical car. When torque is increased, inherently, horsepower will be increased as well. Depending on the type of mod and tuning (where applicable) one will be increased more than the other but both will be increased ever so. I feel that it is a constant battle of gaining torque or horsepower from one mood and your next mod being a reaction to your previous action and trying to get a little more tq/hp gains out of your next mod.

I guess I'll see what's up in a month-ish when I get the spacer on.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:36 AM

That sounds good, I might go for this mod. My X runs good but everyone loves more power.

Why didn't the engineers design the plenum with more space in the first place?

Old 05-24-2016, 06:29 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Are you all talking about a Throttle body spacer?..If yes..save your money, those things are a gimmick and do absolutely nothing for performance or power gain.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by dpk
are you all talking about a throttle body spacer?..if yes..save your money, those things are a gimmick and do absolutely nothing for performance or power gain.
intake plenum spacer

Old 05-24-2016, 07:55 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
intake plenum spacer
For those that didn't know and not familiar with them such as me.. I found this video that sorta explains it a little...

Old 05-25-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I looked up this piece on their website and they claim 11-13hp. Just doesn't pass the smell test for me. By that I mean if it was really that easy and cheap to do I would have thought the engineers at the manufacturer would have caught onto that a long time ago. With the millions and millions of dollars they spend on R&D to squeeze out a little more horsepower and MPG this seems like it would be a slam dunk. I certainly could be wrong as I don't know anything about these things, but from that video I find it hard to believe it would do much.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I looked up this piece on their website and they claim 11-13hp. Just doesn't pass the smell test for me. By that I mean if it was really that easy and cheap to do I would have thought the engineers at the manufacturer would have caught onto that a long time ago. With the millions and millions of dollars they spend on R&D to squeeze out a little more horsepower and MPG this seems like it would be a slam dunk. I certainly could be wrong as I don't know anything about these things, but from that video I find it hard to believe it would do much.
You know, I don't disagree with any of that but, I am on the serious hunt for power out of these engines and given the relatively low price and easy install I am going to give it a go.

Over on the 6crewforums (yes, I'm all over every forum that has anything to do with the duratec 25 or 30) there are dyno'd proven results in both turbo cars and N/A cars. To me, they are same era-same manufacturer so I don't see why our cars wouldn't do the same.

I've done some mods to the motor already so the addition of the spacer might benefit me more. I have port matched my lower to my upper plenum, sharpened the split right behind the throttle body and got rid of all the casting slag inside the imt valving holes. (as per steve haines jag motor project) I have the short ram (hot air lol) intake. I've also added headers and a high flow cat to a 2.5inch all the way back and open mufflers. My car is already breathing pretty well so what would a little more hurt? Lol Everything I've done has not tripped any CEL related to these specific mods but of course I've had other CEL'S...

All that being said I'm jumping in... I'm already this far so I might as well. If anything it will definitely increase the amount of air being held in the plenum for when its boosted over the winter.

While I'm doing this I am going to bypass the throttle body coolant lines because I believe all that's doing is preheating the air before it enters the engine for efficiency but I couldn't care less about effeciency at this point haha and yes I will do it in a reversible way incase it creates issues...

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 05-25-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 PM

I'm up for this mod, I have improved the air throughput of my X and she runs really good. How much does the spacer cost?

Update us when you get into it. Take pics of the install if you can!

Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Patterson
I'm up for this mod, I have improved the air throughput of my X and she runs really good. How much does the spacer cost?

Update us when you get into it. Take pics of the install if you can!
It is $200 for the 1/2" spacers and $225 for the 3/4" spacers. I'm doing the 3/4"...

The website is www.twisted-visionz.com and parts are made and supplied by NPG.

I will update this thread here when I get them installed