X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot AC on driver, Coolish AC on passenger

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 01:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Hot AC on driver, Coolish AC on passenger

SO I have spent about two months in this 100 degree heat with no AC and I am fed up. My issue is the driver side is blowing HOT HOT air when AC is on coolest setting when it used to produce ice cold air. Now the passenger is blowing SLIGHTLY colder air but its nothing that'll stop you from sweating.
I have troubleshooted it a lot so I will give some details below to ask you all what you think because the mechanic got lazy and doesn't care to help anymore.
I have replaced the CCM that did not fix it
I have gotten the refrigerant flushed and ran back in with the correct pressure and amount
I have gotten the compressor replaced as well

Now some things it could be.
Could it be the blend door? And if it is why is the cold side not really cold (another issue is the temperature reading on the machine used to check AC had said 30 degrees farenhite and still wouldn't be cold coming out of the dash PLUS after about 3 minutes went up to 120 degrees farenhite)
Mechanic thinks it could be the expansion valve or (sorry if i get this wrong cant remember) the the O2 line or something like that next to the front right fender

I could really use the help and I am really struggling as money is tight right now and no one seems to actually know the issue.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,889 Likes on 3,196 Posts

vegang, take a look at the attached document. This will tell you how to check the blend door. You should be able to move the blend door by hand with the actuator off and hear it make a bit of sound. Some people have had this door come loose inside the A/C duct and give symptoms similar to what you are seeing. As for what it is doing, the blend door directs air through or around the heater core. If this is not positioned properly, the A/C system may be cooling the air, but the heater core is heating it back up.

If my memory serves me correct, your problem may also be the recirc door. What you will need to do for this is to remove the cowl at the base of the windshield (requires removing the windshield wipers from the car). From there, on the passenger side of your car, you will see where there is a filter there. Remove that filter. You should see an open hole with the car off. If you turn on the car and A/C and push the recirc button (the button with an arrow on it that loops back on itself), you should see that door close (change condition). You may need to give it a bit of a jolt to go open when you have the recirc button turned off.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT412-02 Air Blend Door Loose.pdf (181.2 KB, 160 views)
Old 08-29-2020, 06:10 PM

Thermo I just want to say first off your very detailed response has already given me a little more relief/hope that it's not as difficult as something to get to like the expansion valve. Also with my mechanic bailing on me and not wanting to provide anymore support I am very grateful I have somewhere to go to find some.

So as a first update today I didn't have time to look at everything but what I decided to do is replace the engine air filter I believe it's called as well as the cabin one. Let me just say, the cabin air filter was absolutely awful and I don't believe its been changed in 7+ years. Since I got to the filter I decided to look for the recirc door that you spoke of and can't seem to see anything moving when it's pressed. If you can elaborate on "it may need a jolt once turned back off" and if you can maybe clear up where I should be looking. I hadn't took off the windshield wipers as it was actually hard to find anything online, however I was still able to see the filter and the hole it was on top of leading to the cabin and didn't see it there; maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Will be looking at the blend door tomorrow and the recirc again if you can elaborate more on this one. Thank you for all the help.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

vegang, you need to remove the air filter first off. This will expose an opening behind the filter. It is perfectly fine to run the car and the A/C system without the cabin filter in place. With the A/C system in a normal line up (ie, recirc turned off), you should be able to stick your hand in that opening behind the filter and feel air being sucked in. If you have a plate in the way, give the plate a little push to the side (do not recall if it needs to go towards the driver or the other way). It should move with a little push. If this moves out of the way, check to see how the A/C is working now. if it is back to normal, then that was your problem. You will need to do some looking into why the cover got stuck. Along those same lines, if you are finding that plate moved back, you should be able to have the A/C running and then turn on RECIRC and look at that opening and there should be a plate in the way (this forces the car to suck on the inside of the car). If you do some looking (searching on "recirc door", you should find lots of write ups about it as this is a common issue with the car. There you will find some repair tips and whatnot.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:39 PM

Hi Thermo. Sorry for the later update, had to get an angled screw driver to do the steps in the attached document.
So a few important things. I believe the document you had sent was more regarding the recirc doors not opening or closing because after pulling the motor it wanted me to pull out I noticed when testing it was the recirc button that made it move and it did. As well as the climate stepper motor moves as well so both motors that you have to pull out in the attached document both work correctly I do believe. I have pictures of the two motors as well.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Google Photos Video of motor

So since I have checked those two motors maybe it's one of the other two in there? I am really not sure what each one does maybe you can elaborate however I really thought this motor was for the blend doors to move them away from the heat or whatever but it seems the one in the doc is for the ricirc.
ALSO another note, the AC was fairly cool I would say about 65-70 degrees on the TWO passenger vents. Now the TWO driver vents are honestly blowing heat, both though feet, and face. Thank you for any more incite you can provide. Let me know if you need more pictures or videos.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

vegang, one of the problems that have been experienced in the past is where the motors attach to the shaft, that hole enlarges and will allow the motor to turn, but not turn the shaft. So, yes, the motor may rotate, but it is not grabbing the shaft to rotate that. So, what I would say to do is remove the two motors again, note where they currently are (make a mark at say the 12 o'clock position on the shaft) and then using a screw driver or other tool, manually move the shafts. See if you get a change in temps coming out of the vents then. If you do, then you have a slipping shaft issue. If the problem continues as with the motors installed, then I would say based on the other work you have had done, you have a flapper inside the A/C column that has come loose/broken.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:33 PM

So I turned them manually and all it did was mess with the recirc and the temps were fine on the passenger still but the entire time the drivers side was still blowing hot. I think it has to be a leak leading up to the drivers side or maybe this flapper you speak of. I can't find any diagrams on it or info on how to fix it. How should I go about this? I reinstalled the motors and put glue on the inlet one as stated and it all works fine but yeah drivers side, hot hot hot.

Originally Posted by Thermo
then I would say based on the other work you have had done, you have a flapper inside the A/C column that has come loose/broken.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

vegang, you are not going to like what I am about to say, but, it would be most likely that you are going to end up removing the dash of the car so you can remove that center column so you can get it open and replace. I would do some looking around, but, there is no easy way to get into the interior of that and do the work that you need do without removing the dash. This is about as far as I can take things as I never had the reason to go this far.